Let's get the Champions League Off the Ground-check in here

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Postby mesquiton » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:54 pm

Nice analyses, Riggo, thanx for the effort!

FWIW, I almost took Valentin but settled on Snyder because for a little more cash he's decent both ways, more OB, low DP, will drive in a lot more runs. Molina is cheap w/ tons of extra base hits v. lefties, so he's a bonus platoon my team sorely needs to knock in the slow HR guys when they BB instead (Thome, Dunn), good D and OK backup besides.

Burnitz has always done well for me in hitter parks, often an offensive league leader, can play lf or rf and is not a 4. Also leans slightly left to help w/ all those lefty SPs. Has enough OB that I hope he'll be OK in Shea, tho I don't like his 15-gamer roll and so far he's been injured virtually the whole season. I agree I'd prefer to DH Abreu, but it didn't work out that way, and I don't think his 4 in RF will kill me.

I consider Boone a good choice in any park for defense alone, no injuries and he'll get some hits and knock in some runs wherever he goes...I like Hudson too for value, but he does get injured and you got him!
mesquiton

Postby mesquiton » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:02 pm

[quote:3ce362784b]A.Benitez on pace for way over 200 IP and loving it! [/quote:3ce362784b]

Is the 200 IP limit for RP not in effect for the finals? I assumed it was, but if not will gladly push Gordon well past 200 IP....

Do we need a ruling from teepack on this before we get any deeper into the season...?
mesquiton

Postby bigmahon » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:06 pm

Good question mesquite. Pretty tough to enforce, given that the 10 point penalty is now meaningless.

It's a silly rule anyway. :wink:
bigmahon

Postby RiggoDrill » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:53 pm

[quote:51eda41849]I consider Boone a good choice in any park...[/quote:51eda41849]
True - I guess I was just saying he's not "maximized". :wink:
RiggoDrill

Postby spicki17 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:46 pm

i was actually praying that benitez would hit about 300 innings and i would get the full value of his 6.86M salary, but with 3 other good rp's on my team, i dont see him hitting 200, let alone 300. plus, as we all know, big rp's use up more innings at the beginning of the year (when they havent had previous games pitched so they can be tired). itll be interesting once i get out of division and get to a little bigger parks to see if those rp's are used even more (which they should be)...
spicki17

Postby mesquiton » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:13 pm

I use a rather crude rating system, mainly to get a general idea of opponents' overall offensive and defensive strengths and balance. I've found it's fairly accurate in predicting the success of "obvious" teams (like mine), without a lot of platoons, spot starters, etc., but much less accurate, irrelevant even, for intensively managed teams with lots of situational players.

Anyhow, here are raw ratings for the league, ranked by total points in my system...below 100 is bad, over 200 is rare, and less than 10 points difference is insignificant, even for the "obvious" teams:

1. Poutine (176)
2. Kings (174)
3. Dancers (164)
4. Corrivals (162)
5. Niggies (154)
6. SnowDogs (145)
7. Nickels (136)
7. Tacos (136)
9. Knights (114)
9. Slumpers (114)
11. Doritos (106)
12. Cristano22 (100)

The scary thing to me is that I would expect the Poutine to be one of those teams that would likely out-perform my ratings...even though they rank first in my ratings. Unless injuries totally overwhelm him, I'm afraid that damm French Canuck is the guy to beat!
mesquiton

Postby james » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:16 pm

[quote:11e72b1fbe="RiggoDrill"][color=blue:11e72b1fbe][b:11e72b1fbe]EAST[/b:11e72b1fbe][/color:11e72b1fbe]

[b:11e72b1fbe]Jedi Knights (Woods)[/b:11e72b1fbe]
A right-handed team that creams righties. Of the super-sluggers, Beltre & Pujols tend to be a little overpriced. Carlos Lee would be more valuable if used as DH. Is Alex Sanchez used as platoon CF4? No stopper in the pen.[/quote:11e72b1fbe]

Nice job analyzing, Riggo. Everything you say about my team is true! I do not use team rating systems. I think the variables are too complex to calculate a relevant figure.

I eyeball the players and use my divisional opponent's pitchers and ballparks to hone my team. Every player on my team is there for a reason.

While I would not like my team in a traditional draft league, this league is highly atypical. The predominance of lefty pitchers and hitters parks (very few of which penalize righty pitchers) made Minute Maud a coup. I had purposely not selected MM during the tour to have it available in the final league. I believe MM is one of the most advantageous parks to own and that is advantage is worth about 10 wins a season...more with Coors and LA in my division.

Pujols and Beltre will be gold in this division as will Thames, Nick Johnson and the much maligned Alex Sanchez (who by the way has been on almost every team I have had this year and never batted less than .350 :wink: ).

Additionally, I have had percival on every team I have had this year and believe he is possibly the most under-rated closer bargain in the league, especially in Minute Maid.

This is an fascinating league and I believe anyone can take the crown. I wish everyone good luck and no injuries.

jh
james

Postby mesquiton » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:05 am

Looks like nobody really cares about the 200 inning RP limit, which is OK by me.

Like spicki, I doubt my top reliever (Gordon) will really go over 200, much as I'd like him to, as my starters will likely get more innings than I want. My only concern is that we all be on the same page on this...if anybody thinks it matters.

Meanwhile, unless there are objections in the relatively near future, I'm going to assume the limit is not in effect and get all the innings I can out of Gordon.

Speak now or forever hold your peas!
mesquiton

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:14 am

Well, I have a concern. I think a rule specification from teepack or uncleny would be appropriate.
MARCPELLETIER

Postby mesquiton » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:23 am

I agree with marcus.
mesquiton

PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship