Let's get the Champions League Off the Ground-check in here

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

200 IP rule in effect for finals!

Postby teepack » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:12 pm

Hey guys, I just got Mesquiton's IM regarding the reliever situation. The rules for the Tour are still in effect:

[quote:2a89e810a9]VI. Relief pitcher usage

Beginning with Event 3, the Tour will feature a rule that [b:2a89e810a9]limits relievers to 200 innings of relief[/b:2a89e810a9]. This is an effort to keep managers from abusing relievers. Any manager found to be in violation of this limit will be penalized 10 Tour points per reliever who goes over 200 innings. [/quote:2a89e810a9]

Unfortunately, there is no remedy or punishment for a manager who violates this rule in the Tour finals. The only thing I can come up with at this point would be to apply the punishment to any offenders who participate in next year's Tour, but am not sure that would be a sufficient deterrent.

So at this point, it's kind of moot. We'll have to rely on your guys' willingness to abide by the intent and 'spirit' of the rules. Got that, spicki?
teepack

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:13 pm

Personally, I went all along thinking we couldn't get over 200 IP, but I thought that uncleny's point is well founded too (take that, woods).
MARCPELLETIER

Postby bigmahon » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:20 pm

I don't really understand the controversy. It may be a dumb rule, but it's a rule nonetheless. Just because the penalty can't be enforced doesn't that breaking the rule is fair game. :?
bigmahon

Postby RiggoDrill » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:31 pm

[quote:e2468e5d3c][b:e2468e5d3c]luckyman[/b:e2468e5d3c]: having 4 platoons is probably too many[/quote:e2468e5d3c]
I agree. You can't carry more that one or two platoons without adding batters beyond the TSN limit of 13. The marginal cost of every batter after the 13th is significantly higher, thus negating additional value gained from the platoon.

I find it difficult to cover the team's injury liability without having at least one player who doesn't miss any games - that's why I like Jeter. SS is a difficult position to back up. With Jeter, I don't have to worry about backing up the SS position, so I can carry quality backups for the other 7 positions. 8)

If TSN increases the minimum roster limit to 24 players (like they did for the 1969 game) it will make injury-prone and platooning strategies much more attractive.

Maybe I'm overstating the case, but I assumed that any team carrying more than 23 players had put themselves at a disadvantage.
RiggoDrill

Postby mesquiton » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:35 pm

I agree with Big on all points. Like marcus, I assumed the rule was in effect for the balance of the Tour, and our Commish has affirmed this as the "intent and spirit" of the rules.

Despite any differences, we are all honorable gentlemen, no? A gentlemens' agreement works for me...as a potential offender, I'll keep Gordon under 200 IP or consider myself disqualified from the title.
mesquiton

Postby MARCPELLETIER » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:13 pm

[quote:fc712366b9]
Maybe I'm overstating the case, but I assumed that any team carrying more than 23 players had put themselves at a disadvantage.
[/quote:fc712366b9]

I think you have a point. A danger of players as good as us 8) 8) 8) is to see everything through the prism of match-ups, and stadium fitting, and then end up with some free cash in the process, and forget that the first basic rule of a cap league like TSN-SOM is to spend the dough on players that play the game!!!

No matter how you put it, Madritsch will always be better than Greinke or Perez plus 3 millions sleeping on the bench.

That being said, I do hope that I will get most of the return on the players I have invested in.
MARCPELLETIER

Postby spicki17 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:26 pm

there is no way with 4 legitimate rp's being used on my team that benitez will go over 200 IP's, but im not going to lie and say that i am going to monitor him and make sure he stays under. if it affects my team negatively in any way to deter the amount of innings he is throwing, he will not be hooked.
spicki17

Postby mesquiton » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:57 pm

so spicki, if yer so sure you won't be breaking the rules anyway, why not agree not to do so?
mesquiton

Postby james » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:13 pm

[quote:7856fc2afa="marcus wilby"]uncleny's point is well founded....[/quote:7856fc2afa]

Woods (sic) not that be an oxymoron, like military intelligence, or champion UncleNY? :lol:

[b:7856fc2afa]Let's jus make sure everyone is playing by the same set of rules. [/b:7856fc2afa]My distaste for FunkyNY dates back to an Old Timers League where the draft rules were experimental and ended up not making sense. Everyone decideed to contibute their payers back to the FA pool to even up the teams and the FunkyOne did not follow suit (he was quoted aas saying it was more fun to win by a big margin tah develop a league where the competition was going to be close)...we all essentially gave up on the league and Uncle waltzed around crooning about how great his team was.

[b:7856fc2afa] It would be a shame to have the championship season tarnished by such a situation. Since there was no concensus at the start, I say we play by the lowest common denominator...if anyone wants the right to exceed 200 innings, then we should all just play by that rule.[/b:7856fc2afa]

Personally, I will do whatever is decided. It will not affect the outcome of the league. :wink:
james

Postby RiggoDrill » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:19 pm

[quote:f51ee43e3e="spicki17"]... but im not going to lie and say that i am going to monitor him and make sure he stays under..., he will not be hooked.[/quote:f51ee43e3e]
This is your basic Total Non-Issue since spicki's going to get his brains beaten out anyway. :twisted:
RiggoDrill

PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship