Why does my team suck so bad?

Why does my team suck so bad?

Postby Lucey01606 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:57 am

Please critic this team for me. I know I'm in a pitchers park (1-5,1-5) but is that the only reason why my offense is THIS bad? I have no luck with ATG, which annoys me because the generic 200* format comes pretty easy to me overall (I am under a new account so my history comes up with only one team, but that was my worst team in a non theme league, above .500 but no playoffs). It can't be bad luck because I have two other teams with same issues so it is my philosophy.
http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/atg2/team_switch/switcharoo.html?href=/baseball/stratomatic/atg2/home_good.html&team_id=57268
Lucey01606

Postby JUMA » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:25 am

Your link isn't working, but I found your team via the stratoberce site.
In my opinion, your main problem is that you have a bunch of guys who are just not suited for your park (Baker, Boyer, Gedman, Murray & Bell) and some plain & simple offensive duds (Bowa, Herr.)
Unfortunately, the FA wire isn't brimming with options. I suspect you have several pitching park teams in the league that have picked over those guys pretty clean. Your current squad is overloaded with power but lacking in OBP types.
JUMA

Postby Lucey01606 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:34 am

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/atg2/team/team.html

Does this one work?

How do you get a team linked?
Lucey01606

Postby Free Radicals » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:47 am

Ok here's how . Click on the stats page on the left menu . Then click on your team . the url should have an id# at the end of it now . cut and paste here .
Free Radicals

Spread thin

Postby Treyomo » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:51 am

With 15 hitters, and 11 of them over 1M, , and with 5 bullpen guys >$2M with a combined 100 innings in 66 games, your cash is spread too thin. George Bell, at 3M, has 20 ABs, and Sparky Lyle, at 3M, has 4 innings. I'm not a big fan of the OF platoons you have.

I'd consider paring down your lineup to 13 hitters, dump Bell, dump Baker, and get the best available FA for RF. Use remaining cash to upgrade another position offensively. Then, realign your bullpen so your best pitchers get more innings. You could even replace one of your 5 $2M+ bullpen guys with a nickel pitcher, then uuse that leftover cash to either upgrade another offensive position or turn one of your bullpen pitchers into a better RP stud.
Treyomo

Postby Lucey01606 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:55 am

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/atg2/team/team_other.html?user_id=57268

I guess this is my biggest problem, if I can't work the website right...how can I get my team to work right. :D
Lucey01606

Postby JUMA » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:13 pm

Just noticed Jackie at 2b. He's not doing your pitchers any favors. 1b/3b are better spots for him.
Trey is right about the backups; on your next team, fill in with .50 guys & put your $$ into your everyday players.
JUMA

Postby Lucey01606 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:24 pm

Thanks for the feedback so far. Yes Robinson is my 2B...I thought I could get away with his defense with 1's all around him...plus Herr for late repalcement. I liked him as a 2 hitter. Baker has been excessively hurt which explains his lack of AB's.
I over valued PH's off the bench without the DH, Bell has been a waste of money. Lyle is my fault, I had him as my R closer and without wins I don't need a closer, although I don't know why he has pitched SO little.
Lucey01606

Postby MICHAELTARBELL » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:50 pm

[quote:9772f6bd1a]Thanks for the feedback so far. Yes Robinson is my 2B...I thought I could get away with his defense with 1's all around him[/quote:9772f6bd1a]

That is a bad assumption on your part :) . 2B gets alot of plays, the most after SS and CF I believe, so you need a solid fielder there, no less than a 2 unless he is an extraordinary hitter.

Also, imo, you have spent way to much on your relief. A couple of good ones and a nickel or two is all you should need in a pitchers park, don't want to give hal too many options there!

On the hitting side, Bench, Boyer, Baker, Rice are all bad fits here imo. You want high obp, and guys that are not bp dependent. Outfielders like Cuyler, Furillo, Cobb (of course!), S.Rice, Snodgrass, J.Jackson, B. Musial...those type of guys.

Also agree with you, you have spent too much on bench players and subs. Gedman, Herr, Bell are all to expensive. I never spend more than .80 or so...usually just .50, since there are so many iron men in atg2, usually do not need a deep bench for that purpose, and for pinch hitting, there are several good ones in the .5-.8 mill range...

my .02 :)
MICHAELTARBELL

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats