RELIEF USAGE

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

RELIEF USAGE

Postby crdavis » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:03 pm

Guys,
I noticed in my league that a team has a relief pitcher that has pitched 78 innings. The guy has pitched on average every other day. We are only half way thru the season. What settings or how is this done????

Canons
crdavis

Postby YountFan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:16 pm

RP with no individual setting and set as setup and closer on both side will get him in the game a lot
YountFan

Relievers in general

Postby chrisfu » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:42 pm

Maybe I'm just stupid but I've been playing for about 6 seasons and I have yet to figure out how relievers are used in general. In my last season, I had Mario Soto lead the league in ERA, I had him on slow hook and he got pulled frequently for a reliever and then the reliever would blow the game. I had Tom Browning, he was ok but I had him on quick hook and Browning would stay in and then get hammered in the 9th.

It would be nice to have a way to say the first reliever you want in if you are not to the set up man but the only way I see to do that is to put every guy but one on mop up. I have no idea how set up vs left or set up vs right works. To me, if I try to use that, HAL seems to bring in my lefty set up guy always when a lefty has started which is the opposite of what I want. If I reverse this, that doesn't help.

So I'm lost on how to get slow hook to really be slow hook and I have no idea what it means to try to use lefty/righty set up and closers.
chrisfu

Postby YountFan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:29 pm

This what I know, but then you cannot kinow any about HAL.

Manager Settings - This tends to let you SP stay in the game longer
Closer: Normal
Relief: Conservative
Set Up: Empty
Closer: Empty

Individual Setting - Keep it simple
I check avoid L or R as needed, quick hook, 1-2 innings to start the season and then adjust a bit as the season unfolds

I think carrying 6-7 RP helps HAL specialize a bit more. I don't think the avoids work well with a 5 man pen because HAL needs to save guys in case of extra innings. Have 7 RPs and you get the 1/3, 2/3 IP you desire. HAL is dumb, but does better with more pitchers and simple settings

If you have a guy being lights out then uncheck all the boxes and set him as the setup and closer roles and hope his arm does not fall off. If you find you have a strong pen then try limiting your SP you 6/7 IP (that setting does work).

If you start the year with 7 RP you can do some FA transactions as the season progresses or let one go to get a hitter. I don't recommend any RP over 1m for the most part. Also don't get hung up an having someone lead the league is saves. The save is the worst stat ever invented.
YountFan

thanks

Postby chrisfu » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:43 am

I appreciate the advice, it really helps. It is still frustrating. I'm in the middle of a pennant race, last night, HAL brings in Guetterman, set no 'avoid right hand hitters.' The opposing line up has one left had batter, Guetterman gets him out in the 8th and then stays in the game. In the 9th, my closer and set up man is set to be Mark Eichhorn in his best year. Against a team with only one lefty, Guetterman stays in to get rocked and blow the lead, Eichhorn who hasn't been used for several days sits... It would be nice to have HAL actually bring in the closer with a lead, it would be nice to have Guetterman set to avoid righties actually avoid righties particularly with the game on the line. It just gets frustrating to have this type of thing happen so often.
chrisfu

Postby gutter huggers » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:46 am

I think you're right, Yount. Carrying an extra pitcher, slows Hal down, on the choices. You'd think it would be otherwise, but it isn't. If you have ten pitchers or less, Hal moves faster. Go figure.

If you have a pitcher you want to stay in the game, you have to combine the slow hook, with the conservative relief. No avoids. You may also have to pull out a gun, and shoot two relievers in the bullpen, before Hal understands what you are up to.
gutter huggers

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s