Is Nolan Ryan....

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Is Nolan Ryan....

Postby Barbie Girl » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:04 pm

....worth $8.3 million? I am using Busch Stadium. Is he a good fit? Are there better choices? Here is my starting rotation, so far:

Ryan
S. Fernandez
Tudor
Andujar
D. Cox

:(
Barbie Girl

Postby hallerose » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:07 pm

Your 2 most expensive starters as 5 day starters and the 3 cheapest as 4 day starters is not a good idea. I'd probably cut Ryan and Fernandez and pick up the best 4 day starter you can find and use all the extra $$ to upgrade elsewhere. An $8M 5 day starter really should be equal to about a $10M 4 day starter, and these 2 aren't that good.
hallerose

Postby voovits » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:17 am

The one thing about Ryan and Fernandez though, is that in almost all cases, they're worth keeping on your roster no matter what year you get. On top of that Fernandez has the potential to be one of the most dominating pitchers in the game. His endurance is not that good though and HAL tends to take him out early. Just because you have 2 5 days starters and 3 4 day starters does not mean you have to pitch the 4 days starters on shorter rest. you could have all of them pitch every 5th day.
I like using some of those 5 day starters because they're not drafted as often and many time can be drafted toward the end of your draft card without losing out on them.
I think the * pitcher vs the no * pitcher is overrated. Use whoever you think can be good and you'll be just fine. I say keep 'em both.
voovits

Postby chess2899 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:44 pm

I like El Sid but I have never seen Ryan win enough games to be worth $8 million. I would pick Vida Blue before Ryan. Pasquel Perez is also better than Ryan. I lost 3 games to Fernadez in my last league, all 1-0 in Oakland. He can be overwhelming. Ryan isn't worth it.
chess2899

Postby Barbie Girl » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:07 pm

Would Dave Stewart be a better choice than Ryan?

:(
Barbie Girl

Re: Is Nolan Ryan....

Postby Paul5757 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:28 pm

[quote:0f0f08e67a="Barbie Girl"]....worth $8.3 million? I am using Busch Stadium. Is he a good fit? Are there better choices? Here is my starting rotation, so far:

Ryan
S. Fernandez
Tudor
Andujar
D. Cox

:([/quote:0f0f08e67a]

A "*" starter needs only 3 days' rest between starts. A non-* starter needs four. Tudor, Andujar, and Cox are * starters, Ryan and Fernandez are not. You should either drop or trade Tudor, Andujar, and maybe Cox (he's cheap and may be worth a flyer) and find non-* starters, or drop or trade Ryan and Fernandez and pick up ONE * starter and ONE $0.75 starter as a placeholder. (If you have four * starters, the fifth starter will never make an appearance.)
Paul5757

Postby chess2899 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:55 pm

Too many suggestions!

Play all 5 and if you don't get a good game from a specific pitcher after 3 games, dump his butt. After some time, you will see what is worth keeping. You have a 40% chance on getting a good Andujar or Cox year and 60% on Tudor. If you lose a couple of those 3 day starters then think of a 5 man rotation. Either way, Ryan is too expensive. You could do just as well with my suggestions above or a sub $2 million dollar pitcher.

Dave Stewart blows! :roll: I saw him have a good season one time and he is too costly. Be patient! 5% is not much of a monetary loss while you wait and see what they do.

There will be others in your league giving up a good pitcher by dropping too quickly. Get ready to pounce!

Tudor won 28 games for me a few months ago!
chess2899

Postby Barbie Girl » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:16 pm

Tudor has been really good for me in the past. I've never had Ryan, but I seem to have more success with overpowering pitchers in Busch. I wanted Higuera or Viola to go along with Tudor and Andujar. Opening night was a wash. Ryan gave up three runs in a six inning no decision. Fernandez gave up one in an eight (no decision), and Tudor pitched a complete game, four hit shutout.
Barbie Girl

Postby Camp Westwoods » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:23 am

I'd rather have a pu pu platter of moderately priced guys with 2 lights out seasons like Matt Young, Calvin Schiraldi, Joe Hesketh, and just mix and match until I find two that work.

Nolan gets touched in homer parks and I find him to only rarely be worth the price. If you're in a high singles/low bphr park in a seven game series, THEN you'd be pumped to have him on the hill.
Camp Westwoods

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s