Newbie advice needed - How should I tweak my team?

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Postby BDWard » Wed May 13, 2009 6:12 pm

It is post waivers with the season set to begin this Monday, 5-18. I'm playing in Wrigley and the cap is $100 mil. Following is the link to my team:

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/80s/team/team_other.html?user_id=146400&stats=actual

I'm planning on giving my top 5 starters 5-6 starts each in trying to figure out what I have. The 2 S/Rs will be used in relief for now. I'm considering letting HAL make the relief decisions until I know what I have.

As for the hitters, for now Harrah may platoon with Kemp at DH or may platoon with Cooper, with Schmidt shifting between 1B & 3B. Lynn will platoon with Hendrick while Dawson shifts between CF and RF. Although not a platoon, Kennedy will occasionally spell Parrish at C vs. tough righties.

What can be done to tweak this team? Is there any other strategy I can use to get better W-L results while I'm figuring out what I have? Does the team have a shot at the playoffs?

Any advice that you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help. - Bernie
BDWard

Postby ggrover15 » Wed May 13, 2009 7:44 pm

you have a good team.. The only thing I can tell you is try and get some better RP... With it being 100mill league there will not be much out to go get. Your only weakness is RP. Drop a starter and get some RP.
ggrover15

Postby Panzer ace » Wed May 13, 2009 7:53 pm

With the SPs you have, Rhoden isnt needed to start the year. Plenty of other fish in the sea if you have to drop one of your other SPs later. I like Vuck and Horton as insurance for you at this salary level. No need to go so cheap in the pen. Ward or Corbett would be my first choice.
Panzer ace

Postby BDWard » Wed May 13, 2009 7:55 pm

Hey ggrover15, thanks for the sound advice. I know that I need relief pitching, but you are absolutely correct in your assessment that there's not a whole lot out there because of the high cap. I've been trying to deal Lynn for a decent left handed RFer + a reliever and then would move Dawson to CF full time, but the fish aren't biting. My staff has 12 pitchers, so I'm at the limit. It would be tough to dump a starting pitcher right now without knowing what I have just to add another mediocre body to the 'pen. - Bernie
BDWard

Postby BDWard » Wed May 13, 2009 8:11 pm

Hey Panzer Ace, I like your advice, too. I know that you've had legendary and unprecedented success in the 80's leagues, so what you say carries a lot of weight. I'm concerned about the relievers because even the high priced guys seem to be as much hit or miss as the $.75 mil guys. If I cut any starting pitchers before the season, it would probably be Tudor, as he had 1 great year and gives up a ton of of BP HRs in the other years, which is not good for Wrigley. Plus, it seems as though lefties get hit harder than righties in the 80's. Not a whole lot of quality relievers left. Both Ward and Corbett are long gone and they seem over priced to me anyway. Right now, searching for a good reliever is like looking for a needle in a haystack. - Bernie
BDWard

wanna trade

Postby phillyhemp » Sun May 17, 2009 6:47 pm

I have plenty of great relievers and I will be happy to take Tudor off your hands. Make me an offer.
phillyhemp

Postby hallerose » Sun May 17, 2009 7:16 pm

Cut Rhoden and/or Hendrick. Your biggest needs is a catcher to platoon with Parrish -- someone like Hassey, Whitt, and then improve your bullpen. $100M is going be hard -- I assume the free agent pool is very thin. Obviously, to the extent you can upgrade at any position and cut down the $$ wasting on the bench, you should.
hallerose

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s