The Reverse RHP: What to do in the playoffs?

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

The Reverse RHP: What to do in the playoffs?

Postby chess2899 » Sun May 24, 2009 1:11 pm

Wegman is a righty. My opponent has his 1991 year (2.84 ERA, 1.12 Whip) and he is 4L. He is a 27 game winner.

I face 2 pitchers on day #1 of the playoffs, Wegman (R) and Carlton (L). Would you set your line-up as if you are facing 2 lefties since Wegman is 4L? My left-handed hitters have been pounding righties.

I don't cherish the idea of having my 7 lefthanded hitters facing a 4L 27 game winner in Games 1 and 5 of the playoffs.

Do you play it straight or do you manipulate? Some managers don't like to over-analyze during playoff time. I am just tired of losing in the 1st round of playoffs.

What would you do?
chess2899

Postby Panzer ace » Sun May 24, 2009 3:29 pm

The playoffs are all about matchups. If you are not taking advantage of your oponents weakness, he is taking advantage of yours. Count the 'chances'. If you have good RH options to play against Wegman, 'load up.' Anything short of benching a Brett-type or playing a '4' at SS should be considered.
Panzer ace

Postby voovits » Sun May 24, 2009 5:13 pm

I agree with Panzer ace.
I'm one of those who tend to overanalyze playoff matchups.
I generally like when I play against a righty and a lefty in games 1 and 2, that allows me to tailor specific lineups to the pitcher I'm playing against.
At the end of the season I make a list of all my players, and the seasons I have revealed VIA injury or any other methood. Then I try my best to deduce the players I am still unsure of. I then enter each and every player I have on my roster into the CDROM version of the game to get their exact on base percentages based on my ballpark. I then gather as much information as I can about the opposing pitcher(s) and try to tailor my lineup(s) based on the on the results I get.
It can be a lot of work (I didn't even get into what I do about deciding my per game starters), so I don't imagine many people doing it this way, but the point is, is that you can set 2 separate lineups for each pitcher and you don't necessarily have to use the same guys you normally use in the regular season in your lineup.
Be careful not to overdo it though. I have run into instances where I knocked around a pitcher early, he gets taken out in the early innings and the relievers shut me down for the rest of the game because the matchup advantage suddenly switches to the pitcher.

Good luck
voovits

Postby gutter huggers » Thu May 28, 2009 11:51 pm

I think it works out like this. A pitcher like wegman, a right hander who pitches well against lefties, has to beware of RH hitters, who hit well against rhp.

He likes to see, LHH, who can't RHP.

It's all very confusing. I try to avoid it. let me know how it turns out.
gutter huggers

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s