Stadium and BallPark Effect - How much is there?

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Stadium and BallPark Effect - How much is there?

Postby Carew29 » Fri May 22, 2009 2:46 pm

So - under ballpark effect there are effects for singles (1-7) and HRs (1-10). I understand how that data impacts the game.

My question is this:

When you link to the stadium details, i.e. Yankee Stadium it provides additional information such as distance to power alleys, fence height, foul territory, etc. Do these parameters have a separate impact on the game from the numerical ballpark effects or is it just for aesthetics of info?
Carew29

Postby LMBombers » Fri May 22, 2009 3:09 pm

it is just for aesthetics just like whether the stadium is turf or grass. The only things that matter at all for a ballpark are the BP singles and BP HR numbers. Everything else is for personal enjoyment only.
LMBombers

Postby JONCHUCKERY » Sun May 24, 2009 6:57 am

Although each park does have a doubles and triples effect which are factored into each std.
JONCHUCKERY

Postby LMBombers » Sun May 24, 2009 8:02 am

jmc316, Tell us more about that. I have never heard about that for the online game.
LMBombers

Postby JONCHUCKERY » Sun May 24, 2009 9:22 am

There was a lot of discussion about that on the ATG meaasge board. Bernie stated that with max rules in place we get the doubles and triples effect. If you have the CD rom game each park shows a bar graph that shows HR/AVG effects for lefties and righties. There is also a listing next to them for doubles/triples effect.

An example would be the graph for Fenway 2008. It shows a RH batter is twice as likely to triple vs homer and about 3 times more likely to double than homer.

To my knowledge there is no listing of any of the factors. Unless you have the SOM CD rom game there isn't a place to find the info. But as I said, when the topic came up in ATG, Bernie did say it was in effect.
JONCHUCKERY

Postby voovits » Sun May 24, 2009 5:02 pm

I never understood how that rule worked. Does that mean that HAL will occasionally change a HR roll into a double or triple? Or perhaps occasionally change a single roll into a double or triple? Does it happen only on ballpark singles/ballpark homeruns?
SOM does not make it clear exactly what they do about it in the CDROM game help file.
voovits

Postby JONCHUCKERY » Mon May 25, 2009 7:49 am

SOM doesn't make anything clear!...For instance with max rules in place there is also a 10% advantage given to the home team. How that is calculated is way beyond me!
JONCHUCKERY

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s