Major League Keeper League

Postby nythawk129921 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:07 am

You can also go to the USKL III summer prospect draft that is running right now and see that Mazzaro was just drafted by one of the owners
nythawk129921

Postby thisisdan26 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:32 am

[quote:9465456fb6="nythawk"]Now when it comes to prospect drafts they are all the same except for HCKL.[b:9465456fb6]In the prospect drafts any player is eligible to be taken as long as they have no major league time prior to the current season,hence Massaro would be eligible for the prospect draft but ineligible for the supplemental draft.[/b:9465456fb6]
You all have to remember that our second prospect drafts are all held at least a month or 2 after the MLB season has begun and that is why a player like Massaro would still be eligible after he has already made an appearance in a major league game.Each league is also pretty much set up where you can keep a prospect on your prospect list for 2 season after you have drafted him before you have to decide whether to promote him to your 40 man roster or releasing him outright regardless of whether he has made it to the major leagues or not.

All leagues are the same when it comes to draft eligible prospects(except for HCKL).[/quote:9465456fb6]

If these rules were taken from almost every other keeper league on the site, then why is there no clarification/amendment stated? It appears as though there are implied or unwritten rules that myself, along with others did not know about. This is my first keeper league and I took the rules as literally as possible which is what I'd expect every newcomer to do. I see nowhere in our rules on page 1 the bolded statement above. The only rule I see concerning player eligibility in the prospect drafts is.... 4) Only those players without MLB experience signed by MLB teams are eligible for any prospect draft.

I'm not sure what happens now because we already followed these rules once before when a similar circumstance arose. It seems that the problems come to light only after a pick is in question, but I also saw no one asking about which players are and are not eligible prior to this draft, which leads me to believe that the rules stated are being clearly interpreted. We can vote to have these rules amended if that's okay with everyone...I'm just concerned about how many other implied rules there are that aren't stated and can still come up even after making possible changes to this specific rule. I guess we will deal with it as it becomes a problem, like always.
thisisdan26

Postby blsmith7 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:36 am

I also am in a number of keeper leagues and I concur with klx and Hawk in their interpretation and implementation of these rules. I also understand Dan's argument and it is valid. The rules as posted do not clarify the restrictions on supplemental drafts and that is a fault, though unintentional I'm sure. The spirit of the rules is that players who have not appeared in any major league games prior to the current year can only be acquired in the prospect drafts - hence Mazzaro should be ineligible according to the spirit of the rules. Dan is not wrong in his literal interpretation of the rule, but I think the commish needs to make a decision in this case, then clarify the rule to reflect to spirit of the game and rules.

In other words, I am fine if a one-time exception is made due to an honest misunderstanding and the Mazzaro picks stands, with the caveat that it is a one-time exception, and henceforward, all supplemental picks must have appeared in the major leagues prior to the current year and not on anyone's roster. OR, I am fine if the commish decides to void the pick and allow Dan to repick, in which case, I think it should resume from that point, and all subsequent would have to be redone.

Just my two cents.
blsmith7

Postby thisisray » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:52 pm

Thank you smitty for being understanding. I see both sides of the argument which makes the decision difficult. I do think the rules are not clear and so I have to agree with the first idea smitty had. "

"I am fine if a one-time exception is made due to an honest misunderstanding and the Mazzaro picks stands, with the caveat that it is a one-time exception, and henceforward, all supplemental picks must have appeared in the major leagues prior to the current year and not on anyone's roster"

I do agree with the rule(now that it is clearer), but the rules were not specific enough so the pick will stand. It would be nice to hear from some of the guys who have been in many leagues in the future so that we follow the rules correctly. Up to this point I feel like I have been doing it alone almost and it is not difficult to run a league when some of the rules are not very clear, IMO. I will put a change in the rules on the first page to make them more clear. Hopefully everyone is fine with the decision and we can move on and enjoy ourselves!
thisisray

Re: TRADE

Postby KEITHLAMONT » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:59 pm

[quote:c404bcb6c5="thisisdan26"]Thisisdan26 gives up:

Holliday
Fontenot
Kuo
2nd Round Supplemental Pick

to KLX22 for:

Ellsbury
A. Miller
Lohse
2nd Round Spring FA Pick

klx to confirm[/quote:c404bcb6c5]
KEITHLAMONT

Re: Trade

Postby KEITHLAMONT » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:00 pm

[quote:e1bccdcde6="jagman28"]jagman28 trades 1st rd pick in the supplemental draft to thisisdan26 for

francisco cordero and 2nd round pick in the supplemental draft

thisisdan26 to confirm[/quote:e1bccdcde6]

This trade has to be reworked because Dan sent me the 2nd round pick in our above trade.
KEITHLAMONT

Postby KEITHLAMONT » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:52 pm

[quote:d44ce62c25="Aray0113"]If that's the case, your trade would give you four picks in the supplemental draft when you can only make three ... you would have to forfeit your third round pick.

I mention this because it has already happened to me ... by making a trade for what I believed to be an 'extra' pick in the draft, I had to forfeit my third round pick, which was actually higher than the one I received, but no matter, since I could only have three picks in the draft.[/quote:d44ce62c25]

If im not mistaken, between now & actually making the 2nd, 2nd round pick I could trade a pick b4 having to forfeit the pick, but upon making a pick with the 2nd, 2nd round pick I then forfeit my 3rd round pick.
KEITHLAMONT

Postby jagman2882 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:26 pm

well i think we need to push the old pause button on the draft because i already traded those picks that i aquired away....so maybe u and dan can put a different pick in or dan and i can work out a new deal
jagman2882

Postby KEITHLAMONT » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:02 pm

[quote:41ee491ef7="jagman28"]well i think we need to push the old pause button on the draft because i already traded those picks that i aquired away....so maybe u and dan can put a different pick in or dan and i can work out a new deal[/quote:41ee491ef7]

Dan & I's trade was confirmed & final, four days b4 you & his trade, so you two will have to rework something.
Last edited by KEITHLAMONT on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KEITHLAMONT

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat