Pricing for SP

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Pricing for SP

Postby Larryrickenbacker » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:55 pm

Howdy,

Why on [i:303e4727ba]Earth[/i:303e4727ba] would Rick Reuschal's card cost so much more than Larry Christensen's, given that the latter's card is clearly better?
Are Cubs fans [i:303e4727ba]that[/i:303e4727ba] loyal? It doesn't make sense. Anyone?

Larry

PS: Of course, there are other examples of over/underpriced SPs. It appears that budget-priced Dick Drago is a better "bet" than Micky Lolich!
Last edited by Larryrickenbacker on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larryrickenbacker

Postby coyote303 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:40 pm

And I've [i:9f57576d2e]never[/i:9f57576d2e] been in a league where anyone drafted outfielder Roger Repoz. On the flip side, someone picked super-value Maury Wills, a 75 center, as one of their three keepers in my keeper league. Pitchers aren't the only ones that are out of whack!

While it would be boring if TSN/SOM could get the values exactly right, I think it would be nice if they revalued a number of players priced way too high or too low.

Coyote
coyote303

Postby free4allfree2001 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:01 pm

I agree that the pricing for alot of guys is out of whack. I am Maury Wills fan. I think his card would be good at 1.8m-2.2M. Whay is Merv Rettenmund so high and Ralph Garr and Ron LeFlore so low?

May SOM/TSN show do a poll and have the SOM players place a projected value on all cards.
free4allfree2001

Postby canauscot » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:51 pm

I ran a league a while back in the 80s where we auctioned off players. then played the season under a new 200M league since carded values did not matter.

$128 million to spend on 40 players which once bought were your exclusive property (some on your roster and some on the farm).

It resulted in some interesting value revelations.
canauscot

Postby durantjerry » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:58 am

I play all the games. The 70's do have some out of whack prices. The 80's are really out of whack. In the 200x games in ATG very few cards are true bargains. This is because ATG and 200x are in their fourth and seventh(?) generation. The 80's are the worst because they were originally priced quite a while ago and it was the first mystery card experiment. The result of more suitable pricing in the other games served to level the playing field. In 2001 and ATG I there were must have players. These were bargain players with high performance who could make or break your team. Once they disappeared, it was more difficult to dominate as no card that much more value than another based on pricing errors. For example, I jumped in ATG I after everyone knew who was good and I read the boards and studied the cards. I was able to post a .558 winning percentage(23 teams) in ATG I because I had indepth knowledge or undedrpriced players and drafted accordingly. I have never come close to getting over .540 in any other game. It is interesting to note that as the pricing got better in 200x, many guys pined for the "good old days", where there were more bargains. There was a big argument that the 200x game had become all luck because the pricing was so good that it almost didn't matter who you had on your team. The rolls alone would determine who won and who lost. There should definately be some pricing adjustments IMO, especially in the 80's. Even better woiuld be if they added an additional mystery card game.
durantjerry

Postby childsmwc » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:19 pm

It is easy to value each seasons individual value, however, once you take an average value for the players 5 seasons you can get two players priced in the same range with vastly different "perceived" values.

Christenson is the perfect example because his one bad season is probably one of the worst 5 starting pitcher seasons represented in the set. So including that one card in his average brings down his overall value. While someone like Reuschel may just have 5 average seasons.

Now we as users know that 4 out of 5 seasons Christenson will perform above value and in the 5th he is so bad that we can identify it early and drop him.

This added dynamic makes it difficult to model pricing perfectly in the mystery card game, but as noted alot of strides were made trying to layer on these additional factors to improve 1970's pricing over the 1980's game pricing.
childsmwc

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s