Why the losing record?

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Why the losing record?

Postby Larryrickenbacker » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:03 pm

Howdy,

My Astrodome team looks pretty good-statistically:
We are number 1 in the league in Pitching and defense (including double-plays). We lead the leauge in doubles and are 4th in OBP.
And we are in [i:9acd2330dd]last place[/i:9acd2330dd] with a 69-72 record! I'll try to post a link for ya'll to help me figure out what went wrong. FWIW, when I click on the "expanded" button, Bill James's theorem says my squad should have a record of 78-63, owing to our runs scored (644) vs. Runs allowed (580).

I tried to post a link, but I'm too much of an internet klutz; I can't seem to figure out how to post the link! Sorry. I know my team has too many lefty hitters and not quite enough good righty hitters.

Larry
Larryrickenbacker

Postby hallerose » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:53 pm

When you are down significantly from your expected recorded, there are normally 2 main things to blame: (1) luck -- sometimes it will even out over the rest of the season, sometimes not, (2) deep, good bullpen -- if your relievers are giving up a lot of leads and maybe losing lots of extra innings games.
hallerose

Postby The Senators » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:27 pm

Take heed Larryrickenbocker---I too am doing something wrong. In almost every season I have played in, my projected record is at least 5 games better than my actual record. Sometimes it's more than 10 games different. It can't be all bad luck. I must be the strat-0 equivalent of Maury Wills...
The Senators

Bullpen, Division matchups..

Postby Larryrickenbacker » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Howdy,

HalleRose: You touched on something interesting with regards to the bullpen. I strengthened mine only at midseason; we blew quite a few leads in the first half. Now my bullpen is at least "decent".
I've noticed that the 1st place team in my division is [i:183eea5f3d]loaded[/i:183eea5f3d] with lefty SPs. My squad is heavy on lefty hitters like Morgan, Hernandez, Carbo, Brock, Manning ('75 card) and even Jack Brohamer (he's a very pleasant surprise this year vs. RHP). We have a horrible record vs. that team. SOM is harder than Chess, trust me! ;)

Larry
Larryrickenbacker

Postby coyote303 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:32 pm

Be sure to check out the two threads on luck in the main SOM topic area!
coyote303

Postby JONCHUCKERY » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:45 pm

Larry,

To post a team...
1. at top banner click on the statistics page under the "Your League" heading
2. click on the team stats page
3. click your team
4. copy the address above the toolbar...it should have a used_id= then a # as the end of the web page.
5. paste the copied link in your message and voila`

I'd like to see that team...I recently had a team have a -45 run diff and I ended up winning 87 games and the division. My win total was 10 games higher than the projection. And let me tell you...I had the worst starting pitching and biggest train wreck bullpen in SOM history!
JONCHUCKERY

Postby durantjerry » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:05 pm

Leading the league in DP's in the Astrodome is not really a good thing, even with a great defense. You should not be allowing enough baserunners to lead in DP's.
durantjerry

Postby Larryrickenbacker » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:32 am

Howdy,

[url]http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/70s/team/team_other.html?user_id=51945&stats=sim[/url]
Larryrickenbacker

Postby Jimmy_C » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:16 am

Hey Larry...Looking at your team I see some moves I'd want to make if it was my team.

PITCHING: I'd replace Osteen with a righty starter. He is giving up too many bombs to righty hitters. Righty hitters have 1,296 more AB's than lefty's against your team. Your pitching staff has given up 12 more homeruns to the opponent than your team has gotten. Your on the wrong side of that equation, and Osteen's contribution of 24 homers to righty's looks like the main culprit. Eastwick is very hard right ('78?) so I'd set him up to avoid lefty's. I'd also look to replace Ochinko for a better option vs. lefty hitters. A lot of cheap relievers have that one good year...I'd go searching and hope to get lucky.

HITTING: I like the team OBP of .347...it's respectable. I don't like what Manning is doing for you in center. He is pathetic against LHP and only just decent vs RHP. I'm sure North is on a roster, but is Maddox hanging around the FA? I'd take my chances there. Instead of Swisher, I'd like to have Stinson...he is an on-base type hitting catcher, and really gets on RHP. You just have to forget about the +2 arm.

Just my $.02
Jimmy_C

Postby The Senators » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:58 am

On the plus side, I love your manager. Harry "The Hat" was a legend as a skipper here in Rochester where I live. Don't change a thing there...
The Senators

Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s