How much is too much?

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

How much is too much?

Postby The Senators » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:45 pm

I am curious as to how many teams some of the better players have going at one time. I usually have two and seem to be able to handle it but when I go with 3 things start to go haywire. I lose my concentration and become easily distracted. I would like to know how many some of you have had going at one time and at what number do you start to "lose it".
The Senators

Postby Jimmy_C » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:09 pm

I'm good with 4-6 teams at the same time. It depends on what "stage" current teams are at before I start another. Right now I have 4 running teams, 3 of which are a lock to make the playoffs. Those 3 are low maintenance at this point. So I will have a new one starting tomorrow, and another new one starting the following Monday.

8 or more and it gets pretty tough.
Jimmy_C

Postby chess2899 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:39 pm

I have had 5, but I lose focus. I actually dropped one of my players on the wrong team, because the same player was on 3 different teams and I got confused on which had the worst year.

I now play 2 maximum at a time because there are so many nuances to look for and I can't spend half my life on the site. When I played one at a time, my winning percentage was over .540. Playing multiple teams lowered it to .525
chess2899

Re: How much is too much?

Postby coyote303 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:41 pm

[quote:6760034c3c="The Senators"]I am curious as to how many teams some of the better players have going at one time. I usually have two and seem to be able to handle it but when I go with 3 things start to go haywire. I lose my concentration and become easily distracted. I would like to know how many some of you have had going at one time and at what number do you start to "lose it".[/quote:6760034c3c]

Two teams work for me. One 70s team and one 200x team.

I got up to five teams once and soon I was ready to quit the game.

If they ran the games an hour or two earlier, I could handle one or possibly two more teams. (Are you listening TSN?) I get results around 10:30 p.m. local (Mountain) time and with more than two teams I end up staying up too late. I would have less time in the mornings to check results even if I was able to delay the gratification of getting the results.

Coyote
coyote303

Postby LMBombers » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:45 pm

One time I had 20 teams of various kinds going at one time and I found that waay to many. I like to keep it around 10 at a time. The single year games don't take long to maintain. The key for me is the number of mystery card teams I have as they take more time to understand what you've got.....or don't have. :lol:

Being in the east I don't stay up for the results. Instead I go to bed around 10PM and get up around 5 to check the results before heading off to work. This works well for me. It also means that I WILL NOT participate in a frenzy league.
LMBombers

Postby voovits » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:50 pm

I tried to set a limitation on myself to not have more than 2 mystery card leagues going at once.

I have yet to adhere to that limitation I set on myself as I have been having 3-4 going on at once. I may be taking a break after these finish as I've been in a major rut of losing seasons. =(
voovits

Postby durantjerry » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:36 pm

I have had over 25 at my peak. I was in a couple of multi-game themes and doing an ATG Live Draft every weekend. I was glad when some ended, as it was a lot of work to set them each night. At the time I had teams in about seven or eight different games. I still have 15 teams(2006, 80's, 70's, ATG, 2008,loading 2007), but it's tough to do more than a few mystery card games at once with all the others. They need more time. I occasionally forget to set non-rotation SP's, switch out relievers based on parks, forget about a game or to reenter an injured guy. It definately hurts your winning % when you over load, but I'm addicted.
durantjerry

Postby pyramid1 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:56 pm

when I first started out I would go a little crazy and have upwards of 10 teams . It was hard to keep track at times. Now I find 4 teams (two 70s teams and two 80s teams) to be my limit. The mystery card game is the only game for me.
pyramid1

Postby The Senators » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:38 pm

This is very interesting stuff. I am starting to feel mentally shortchanged as I could never handle even close to the load that I am reading about. I would have to hire on a full time secretary just to jot down all the mental notes I make. I did notice though, that when I played the free '86 leagues it was almost boring compared to the mystery seasons. There wasn't a whole lot to do once the team was formed, at least compared to the 70's and 80's leagues.
The Senators

Postby free4allfree2001 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:55 am

I limit myself to 2 teams usually in the 70's. I once had 4 teams going and spent so much time on the site my girlfriend thought I was having an online affair, because I would stay up late for the game results. I like the mystery card leagues and do not like the single season leagues. I had George Sisler and his 400 avg and he only hit 313 for me.
free4allfree2001

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s