best draft strategy

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

best draft strategy

Postby scorpio » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:59 am

What is the proper draft stategy, I know there are many. I am in my first league, I see all these managers ratings that are very high. I see some teams with min pitching, I see some teams sandbagging a position. Do these work. I have been in other online leagues not som, where I believe the more money you put in the better you become. I had a '71 stargell who struggled yet another team had a '71 Stargell who led the league in HR's. Just a little advice from the worthy vets.
scorpio

Build your team around your ballpark

Postby djtrickster » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:22 am

[u:628cdcc7ca][b:628cdcc7ca]Build your team around your ballpark[/b:628cdcc7ca][/u:628cdcc7ca]

It's the single most important thing you can do. If you're playing in the Kingdome, draft hitters with eight BPHR's and pitchers with zero BPHR's. If you're playing in the Astrodome, draft hitters that don't rely on BPHR's and don't be scared of having BPHR's on your pitchers as long as they have low WHIPs.

Putting aside the variable of luck, it is why Stargell will be lights out in one ballpark and mediocre in another. It probably explains why you see certain teams sandbag certain positions. Do the Kingdome teams have less salary devoted to pitching and more salary devoted to hitters with BPHR's?

To answer your question: do these strategies work? The answer is not "Yes", the answer is "Hell YES!".

If you don't already know what a BPHR is, your next step to success is learning how to read the cards and learning about ballpark effect HR's (BPHR).

After you get the concept of BPHR's and learn which players have how many BPHR's, your second step is going to be learning how to identify which season of the five mystery cards you have.

The third step is identifying the players that are under priced and how to rank them on your draft card.

If you get those three things down you will never have a sub .500 team (unless you're playing a bunch of sharks that also have those three things down).

Check out the Tips for the Newbies thread on this board and the Newbies advice thread on the Strategy board. Good luck and welcome to strat.
djtrickster

Postby LMBombers » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:54 am

The best draft strategy is to put players that are either A) the most important to your team's success or B) the players that you think will be the most popular by the other teams in the league, at the top of your draft card.

Other players you can put lower on your AD card. For instance in the 70's game I wanted to try Wes Parker at 1B on an Astrodome team. From past history I knew that even though he was a higher priced player that he is often not even drafted. Therefore I put him (my proposed starting 1B) at #25 on my card and got him. I was able to put some of the other players I wanted that I knew I would have to fight to get higher on my card and I could afford to put this seldom used player at the bottom and still likely get him.

Experience is the best way to learn the game.
LMBombers

Postby The Senators » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:43 pm

Just curious, but does it make good drafting strategy to put a few players at the bottom of your draft list that you know you WON'T get just to improve your waiver draft position? I mean there are some players that almost always get picked. Listing them at the bottom 4 or 5 will insure that you won't get them and thereby improve your waiver draft position. Is this correct or am I totally confused?
The Senators

Postby LMBombers » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:52 pm

This draft strategy was a very valid one before they changed how they determine waiver priority. Back then they simply added up the number of players you missed out on, no matter if they were your #1 choice or your #25 choice, and compared your number of missed players to the rest of the league. Now with weighted waivers it is less of a strategy. If you miss out on your #25 guy you get 1 point. If you miss out on your #1 guy you get 25 points. The teams are ranked in order of points from highest to lowest. Intentionally missing a #24 or #25 guy in the AD really won't make that much of a difference.

For instance lets say you miss out on your #10, #24 and #25 guy in the AD and I only miss my #6 player. I would be picking before you in waivers. So it does help your waiver position but not by that much.
LMBombers

Postby voovits » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:55 pm

I believe the 80's game does not use the weighted waivers. Another change they should be making.
voovits

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s