Opening day shortstop....................Jimmy Wynn!!!!!

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Opening day shortstop....................Jimmy Wynn!!!!!

Postby echo22 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:38 am

Gotcha!

Seriously though my season starts today and I have no SS. I'm playing in Fulton and I had a horrible autodraft. HORRIBLE! I only landed a couple of sluggers (and a whole bunch of crapola) and of course missed out on SS & 2B as well. And pitching. Other than that.....awesome team!

Anyway since waivers I've stockpiled every hitter I could fit that has one or two good seasons hoping I can get lucky. Problem is I have no SS and I hate everyone available. Plus if I drop one of my "potential" sluggers they will likely get snatched up. Of course I'll drop the wrong one so I can pick up a crappy SS and then I'll be fuming!

So my question is, has anyone ever started a season without a SS? If so does HAL insert the best available hitter into that slot or does HAL play the guy who is most likely to play SS in this situation (might be Lenny Randle on this team). I can almost deal with ten errors from my makeshift SS for a series or two if it helps me sort out these other guys. I mean the crap SS2's will still be out there as well as the even crappier .75 SS3's.

Did I mention Boswell is my starting 2B and I have three .75 starters?

Yep I love my team!

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/70s/team/team_other.html?user_id=54365
Last edited by echo22 on Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
echo22

Postby roofinghorse » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:47 am

Drop Randle and Boswell for a couple of speedy cheap OF,s and see what you get.Looks like a theme league team to me. :)
10 runs a game should get you a pennant.
roofinghorse

Postby kenhutchings » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:18 am

Didn't McCovey have the nickname "Stretch"? Maybe he can cover the shortstop position from first base.

:lol:
kenhutchings

Still time..

Postby Larryrickenbacker » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:57 pm

Howdy,

I'm in your league. Right now several good SSs including F. Duffy and C. Spier are available..these guys have good leather and in Duffy's case-are affordable. Good luck.

Larry
Larryrickenbacker

Postby pwootten » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:28 pm

Jen, it might be fun to let HAL dictate your lineups for a dozen games or so and see who winds up at SS. Let us know.
pwootten

Postby echo22 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:37 pm

Duffy? Good? OMG he stinks! I've tried him several times and he hasn't approached .200. Not even .200 OBP! Metzger hits way better than Duffy.

I've used Kessinger, Harrelson, Metzger, Dent and Wills as cheaps SSs and had some success with them. Concepcion has a nice glove but he never hits for me and at 5 mil plus you better do more than field!

I'll eventually get a SS but tonight could be interesting!
echo22

Postby Jimmy_C » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:20 pm

When McCovey would come up to bat, the opposing defenses would go into the "McCovey Shift". Basically the shortstop would go into short centerfield slightly shifted to rightfield. The third baseman would play halfway betwen 2nd and third. Most teams were happier having Willie slap a base hit to the left side, than to pull the ball to the right side.

It sounds like your team will be in a full time "McCovey Shift" for a while Jenn...
Jimmy_C

Postby echo22 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:20 pm

[quote:9c6612282f="crossingroads"]Drop Randle and Boswell for a couple of speedy cheap OF,s and see what you get.Looks like a theme league team to me. :)
10 runs a game should get you a pennant.[/quote:9c6612282f]

Well.....that's kinda what happened!!!!

At the last minute I decided to pick up a shortstop so I had to dump a few guys to fit him in. So Boswell, Randle and Bosman had to go. One little problem. the clocked ticked 10:01 before I got my SS leaving me with no SS or 2B for my opening series. I have since picked Randle and Bosman back up but OMG I'm going to have a TON of errors tonight. My pitchers hate me.

Oh well we shall see who my opening day SS & 2B are! After I give up 50 runs and have 15 errors I'm sure I'll have a SS & 2B on board.

How the heck did I make the Final 12 in the Championship Tourney?

Comedy!
echo22

Postby echo22 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:52 pm

Opening day SS - Jimmy Wynn
Opening day 2B - Harmon Killebrew

They combined for three errors and turned a double play!

And somehow I won 2 of 3!
echo22

Postby durantjerry » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:05 pm

Your hitters aren't bad at all.
Cedeno-Obviously can be very good
Parker-70's RBI record holder, I believe
Wynn-Can be MVP material in Fulton
Hebner-Can be very good
Killebrew-Could be MVP in Fulton
Simmons-Very Good
McCovey-See Killebrew
That's five top five draftees, Wynn and Killebrew. Don't feel bad, two thirds of the league will have a lousy SS anmd 2B.
durantjerry

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s