Summer of 69 - ROUND 3 - DRAFT IN PROGRESS - GO, GO, GO!

Our historical single season sets

Postby AllStarInc » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:21 pm

Hi RJ,

I like your thinking! I can tell you're into this SOM stuff and that's a good thing!

I currently have one active '69 team and a 2007 team. This will make it 2 '69 teams at the same time.

I guess to answer your question, I'd say that there REALLY isn't much maintenance to do other than to check your teams each morning (or at night if you're up that late) and then try to tweak things. It's not so bad "time-wise".

With the 20% penalty to drop add, I try to do as little of that as possible, but I see other teams doing tons of it, so who knows.

The drafting is the longest and most frustrating part of the whole process, but it's also the most fun for lots of people including myself.

Now to your second question...I'm in a keeper league where a creative guy named Paul Wooten started us in the 2001 league and we have moved through the decade with franchise players and keepers. It's been really cool and something I'd be interested in doing again.

The only problem you have is when somebody bails in the middle of everything. We have enough really good players here that I doubt it would happen.

I would be interested in some sort of tournament format where you play 8 seasons in different formats and get points for wins, and bonus pts for playoff appearances and championships, or something like you mentioned.
AllStarInc

Postby franky35 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:54 pm

I'd definitely join a tourney if it plays only 69 (or 69 and 70s). I'd be interested in prizes, but not a trophy since I try to hide my addiction anyway. I think it is easy to manage multiple teams in 69 format, but more difficult in 70s format.
franky35

Postby chunga1 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:50 pm

i'd be up for a tourney too......set it up and see what happens......
chunga1

A few more ideas for 1969 tourney for discussion

Postby Rjnewman » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:09 pm

I think the first step would be to get 12 guys committed and establish prizes for first second and third place funded by the bottom three point scorers. If we use cash , for example $300 to winner $200 second place $100 for third paid for by last second to last and third to last finishers. Will make it interesting for winners and interesting for those out of money to avoid the liability and there will be two "battles" in the standings. I am intrigued by Allstar "keeper" twist. We will do 200 then 100 then 80 then 60 then 40 I would also propose that each successive draft after first 200cap draft offer the following advantage for those traling in the standings. The person with the least points at the time of each draft after first done by lottery, will get choice of what pick he wants in next draft. For example manager with least points may decide he wants the third pick, the next guy the tenth, the next guy the first. In addition ,in inverse order of points accumulated to date, in each draft the team with the most points gets 10% less cap second 8% third 6% 4-9 place 4% less cap and 10th-12th place full cap.
Rjnewman

Im sure Gordie will play

Postby Rjnewman » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:24 pm

All will be live drafts. We will need gdwarf as commissioner. I dont have the experience. The twists will help equalize the league and make more challenging for the guys whom think they are good, and give a better chance to those whom have had less success. I think it may be best to not allow trades. Will include drop add penalties for sure. Do you think Hal is more realistic using DH or No DH?Cumulative points can be discussed.My opinion is anything can happen in a five or seven game seies so I dont want to overweight playoff participation or success. Another tweak might be to put the teams with the four highest cumulative point totals in one division the four that follow in the next division and the four lowest cumulative in one division adjusted league to league. Will make for rivalries at top towards the end at both top and bottom of standings.
Rjnewman

Postby franky35 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:38 pm

[quote:08178b6642]In addition ,in inverse order of points accumulated to date, in each draft the team with the most points gets 10% less cap second 8% third 6% 4-9 place 4% less cap and 10th-12th place full cap.[quote:08178b6642][/quote:08178b6642]

I really like this cap idea. I think draft should just be reverse order - the proposed draft selection is too complex.

I also like the idea of trading in leagues of 80M or less. The cap will prevent uneven trades.

[/quote:08178b6642]
franky35

the draft selection

Postby Rjnewman » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:56 pm

is just last place picks 1-12 in first round,second to last whatever frst round pick he wants that is left that last place didnt pick and so on for first round only giving draft position for whole serpentine. Result just like lottery. Gives a little advantaqge and some extra interest to lower poit sguads in cumulative standings.
Rjnewman

Trades in lower cap leagues make sense

Postby Rjnewman » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:02 pm

Dont want to have any dumping or questions asked about trading, though with cumulative records important for final standings and the disincentive to be in bottom cumulative three that should keep people doing the right thing. Plus if we have the same quality managers throughout the tourney and screened at the beginning should be no issues.
Rjnewman

draft position in inverse order to standings each time

Postby Rjnewman » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:05 pm

is fair. I just thought somebody might want 12-13 instead of 1-24 or something like that in some cases.
Rjnewman

gordie is in all loaded!

Postby Rjnewman » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:25 am

He had a minor glitch and I talked him in.
Rjnewman

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: 1969, 1986, 1999