Double Decade redo - 1972 canauscot, Jsam & RR to load

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Postby canauscot » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:34 am

I suggested it, because I love the DD theme too.

I agree the draft process has been tedious (probably only slightly moreso than usual if it weren't for the very long delay associated with sean's absence), and perhaps others are feeling sapped enthusiasm from the draft ordeal. Others may be being turned off by TSN's site troubles.
I agree with LM that we want to go in with 12 people who are enthusiastic about doing it, otherwise it isn't worth starting.

I am keen to do this.

I like the fact that the theme has the feel of a real franchise where players age and roster holes develop that need to be filled, I like the fact that we have division rivalries by playing against the same teams and same group of managers season to season, I love the job that YF does compiling the lifetime statistics for all of the players and franchises. It would be a lesser experience without him.

So I want to do this. Do you?

I like it so much that I've looked at some other ways of getting the same type of real-franchise feel. One that I really like the look of, but haven't tried yet is this...
http://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Main/

I want to give it a try and would really like it if you, as my SOM friends, wanted to get in a league with me.
canauscot

Postby Sykes25 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:16 am

TSN's boards have hampered the ability for this to go smoothly, as well as some RL issues with one of our owners.

Once off the ground, this is definitely something I look forward to and remain FIRMLY committed to, regardless of TSN's inability to maintain a stable board environment.

That said, I avoid whatifsports like the plague. I will pass on the above invite as I would rather bust out my old Nintendo and play some RBI baseball then give them another dime of my money.
Sykes25

Postby LMBombers » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:43 am

I too am not interested in whatifsports. I am open to any kind of theme or game here at TSN/SOM however.
LMBombers

Postby YountFan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:03 pm

I too love the theme, but hate the off season.
YountFan

Postby Yellow_Dog » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:48 pm

I love the theme, the offseason gets long (although our 1983 draft hasn't been too terrible). Thankfully we won't have any more 20 round drafts in the new DD league.

One option would be to limit each year's draft to 1 round? Or to implement an auction?

Or a ranking system whereby everybody submits their ranking of all available players in the draft to somebody who then doles out the players based on those rankings (and draft order)?

Just some random ideas that I haven't fully thought through.
Yellow_Dog

Postby YountFan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:55 pm

I think starting the draft after game 142 will help a lot. No need to wait for the finals to get done, etc. No need to cap the number of rounds because the pool is self limiting.

With the length of this draft I get more disappointed with my team each day. It seems weak, but and I see all the players I missed out on, but then having holds in the line up are what makes this theme so cool. You have to think long term.
YountFan

Postby BC Manager » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:01 pm

I agree that starting the draft earlier should make a difference. I've even thought that we may want to consider this for the existing dbl decade league.

I also think it makes a difference to impose a clock on picks, even if it's a long clock. I find the time limit doesn't often result in anyone being skipped, but does result in people being vigilant about checking in to make their picks or setting up proxies.

Having said that, a clock for this draft may have helped some but would have been problematic with whatever happened to Sean and with the boards being so unreliable.

And YF, don't worry -- I think we all have misgivings about our teams. Early in the decade the pickings are slim and it's really a crapshoot, largely depending on what years you happen to get for your players. If your team truly sucks out of the blocks, then you should be able to pick up some sweet players in the first few drafts.
BC Manager

Postby YountFan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:14 pm

You are actually better off to have weak team to start. I think I won 1971 and have not been back to the championship circle since
YountFan

Postby Yellow_Dog » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:22 pm

My weak early 1970s teams led to George Brett and a four year glorious run of playoffs with championships on both ends. Haven't sniffed the playoffs again though.

And I think I may be on the same track here. I think I reached to early in selecting Thurman Munson 14th overall, and I worry I'll score about 1.5 runs per game this season.

BigAlric is up again.
Yellow_Dog

Postby YountFan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:31 pm

Maybe all is not lost. With the right cards this could be a winner in 1971

3b Rose, P.+
rf Crawford, W.*/Tovar, C.
1b Garvey, S.
dh Epstein, M.*
lf Horton, W.
cf Monday, R.*
cf Williams, E.
2b Griffin, D.