HAL and bullpen woes.

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

HAL and bullpen woes.

Postby Larryrickenbacker » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:59 pm

Howdy,

Would any of you be kind enough to suggest just how to handle my bullpen? I've got three good relievers and HAL seems content to let them chew gum while my overworked starters blow late leads.
I've got my relief and closer setting for "normal". I've got my "closer" set for Fingers vs. Lefties and Righties. I figured that it was best to let HAL determine whether to use Pete Richert (Lefty) or Enrique Romo (Righty) based on the situation. Did I make a mistake?
Tonight, HAL decided not ot bring in Pete Richert to face a dangerous lefty at Fenway, Hunter walks him then gives up an HR and we lose! Any suggestions about dealing with my bullpen? BTW, my SP is good, as is my bullpen. Thanks!

Larry

PS: I've really reached a frustration point with HAL and my bullpen. Anyone else?
Larryrickenbacker

Postby JONCHUCKERY » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:25 am

With regard to mid relief...it is what it is. I draft guys who are heavily balanced toward one side and set them to conservative. I also individually set each pitcher to what matchups I want (don't face RHB, quick hook, etc.). By doing this I've had, at least what I consider, to be good success. Remember that a 750K pitcher is...a 750K pitcher. If you cut guys because of a bad outing or two you'll never stabalize your bullpen. You have to be able to ride out some bumps along the way.

With regard to Richert...maybe you're playing a card that doesn't favor lefties. Richert does have card(s) like that.

Overall I don't really have a problem with the bullpen...I have my short list of guys I draft every time because regardless of card I for the most part know what to expect and how to set them to the matchups I want.
JONCHUCKERY

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s