Iron Gloves & Gopher Balls - Full

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Postby gmac94 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:14 pm

I already have a stud catcher and have taken all four studs. Did you really set this thing up for someone to have to take two stud catchers?

If I make a deal with someone for one of their iron gloved catchers, that forces them to select a stud catcher and most have already selected all of their studs.

I makes any deal extremely lopsided and no one will likely make it.

I'm willing to meet anyone half way on this but I don't see how it makes the league more or less competitively balanced if we open it up to 3 rated catchers with lousy arms. I'm not going to start that person over Munson - they are strictly for back-up purposes and may play in 35-40 games.
gmac94

Postby gmac94 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:23 pm

And you can't tell me that Horace Clarke is more of an Iron Glove than Josephson or Rader or Herrmann or Haller, except for the fact that he has more errors on his card. Do we need 57 eligible 2B or more than 16 eligible Cs?
gmac94

Postby pwootten » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:31 pm

[quote:af4c9f220d="Gmac94"]And you can't tell me that Horace Clarke is more of an Iron Glove than Josephson or Rader or Herrmann or Haller, except for the fact that he has more errors on his card. Do we need 57 eligible 2B or more than 16 eligible Cs?[/quote:af4c9f220d]

George, as I said in the introduction, I went to the player list, asked it to rank the players by defense, then started at the bottom and worked my way up. I didn't get into any rankings of my own, other than bypassing players who had a "2" rating in addition to the "4".

I guess we can go back and add additional catchers if the league is willing, but then do we add additional pitchers who can start if someone falls short? The next question, if we add additional catchers do we open it up to everyone - Dave Rader might certainly be preferable to Tim McCarver or Vic Correll.

League members, do you have an opinion?

Paul
pwootten

Postby ggrover15 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:44 pm

i do not think we should open it up at this point. I took Simmons because there was no iron glove catchers left. I thnk we all have problems. I need a iron glove CF and I do not think there is one left either.
ggrover15

Postby ggrover15 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:58 pm

i would say the only thing you could do is allow someone to take one player of there picking under 3 mill non iron glove. but I think that would have to be the final pick of the draft or something.
ggrover15

Postby ebbets1957 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:21 pm

I spent early picks on two catchers because of the lack of quantity, so changing the rules at this point would really throw off the draft.....

How many teams are still missing a C or a backup C? If the league does anything, Boccabella, Borgman and Maybe Swisher would be the three C's I would make avail to these teams, and they should be taken this round....
ebbets1957

Postby ebbets1957 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:33 pm

looks like 4 catchers would be needed.

Went ahead and picked....no use in delaying
Last edited by ebbets1957 on Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ebbets1957

Postby wryoung » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:32 pm

Follow the original rules. If you don't have two catchers and have already drafted 4 studs, drop a stud and get a second catcher. Seems pretty simple to me. Everyone else followed the original rules and drafted accordingly.
wryoung

Postby voovits » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:39 pm

I don't have a problem either which way it turns out.

If you want to add 1 extra catcher to the pool for each team who needs one, I think that would be fine. Range is not as important in a catcher, so just pick the cheapest guys with the worst throwing arms. Same for CF if necessary. Is it really that big a deal to everyone else if someone has a 1 or 2 range .75 catcher, or even a 3 range like Paul Casanova on their roster? I hardly think they're going to make all the difference between a championship and missing the playoffs.

Otherwise, dropping a stud and adding a Catcher post draft would work too.
voovits

Postby FAaron » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:15 pm

I'm with ebbets1957 on this. I used my second on Earl Williams and a good midround pick on Stinson since I didn't want to have to use a stud pick on a catcher, particularly with Fisk, Bench and Munson off the board. If I knew we were guaranteed two catchers, I might have had a different draft strategy.
FAaron

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s