Congrats new HOFamer Andre Dawson, a 70s & 80s great...

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Congrats new HOFamer Andre Dawson, a 70s & 80s great...

Postby Outta Leftfield » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:44 pm

I particularly like him as an 80s player in the Mystery Card games.

Next stop, Bert Blyleven, maybe in 2011? He failed by just a few votes this time around. I'm guessing Roberto Alomar goes next year as well. Barry Larkin will probably make it eventually.

What do you think? Do you like Andre as a HOFer? Should Byleven be in? And are there any other 70s/80s players who you think are deserving?

OL
Outta Leftfield

Postby voovits » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:06 pm

I'm waiting for Dale Murphy and Alan Trammel to get in.
voovits

Postby Ragnarokpc » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:45 am

Larkin should have been a shoe-in on the first ballot. Ridiculous.
Ragnarokpc

Postby franky35 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:04 am

I don't think Dawson should have gotten in and there is no way that Larkin deserves to get in on the first ballot. Dawson never played in a world series, had low OBP, and was not truly an all-time great in the field or at bat. Yes, he was very good for many years, but he wasn't great and the Hall should be for great players. I think Cedeno and Parker were clearly better than Dawson. Cedeno was better in every respect than Dawson. Dawson's stats were helped by playing in Wrigley. I think that even Davey Concepcion deserves Hall consideration more than Dawson because he pioneered SS play on astroturf and was the best ss of the 70s. Dawson was a very good player and fun to watch, just not Hall of Fame.
franky35

Postby chess2899 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:41 am

Andre Dawson is a very nice man. He talks a lot about his family and daughter to people that approach him. Dale Murphy is also incredibly nice toward fans and never charges for any autograph.

Perhaps Dawson didn't have the high on base % and perhaps Murphy fell short of 400 homers with 2 MVPs, but it is time that nice, pleasant people make the HOF instead of self-centered a-holes that don't care about anyone but themselves.
chess2899

Postby LMBombers » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:50 am

[quote:b8dc2fdcbe="franky35"]Dawson was not truly an all-time great in the field. [/quote:b8dc2fdcbe]

Well SOM thought so if you look at all his 1(-5) ratings.

[quote:b8dc2fdcbe="franky35"]Dawson's stats were helped by playing in Wrigley. [/quote:b8dc2fdcbe]

He played 6 of his 21 seasons at Wrigley and 11 seasons at much more unfriendly Exhibition Stadium.

Don't get me wrong, I think Dawson is a marginal pick for the HOF but I had to defend him a little. He also never disrespected the game by spitting into the face of an umpire that he disagreed with.

And I am one that believes that Blyleven should be in.
LMBombers

Postby FAaron » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:38 pm

I think Dawson deserves it (he was the top centerfielder of his time, as Cedeno clearly tailed off by late 70s). In addition, I agree that Alan Trammell deserves the nod as well. Let's face it, as great as Ozzie was on defense, I doubt anyone would have traded either Trammell or Larkin for him even up. But then, Fisk was a first ballot at catcher while Carter had to wait a few years and Munson never got picked, despite the fact that Fisk just played longer than the other two and spent half his career in a hitter's park.
FAaron

Postby voovits » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:22 pm

Did anyone notice that Ellis Burks, Eric Karros, Kevin Appier, Pat Hentgen and David Segui all received votes for the hall?
These morons should have their voting privileges revoked.
voovits

Postby JONCHUCKERY » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:16 pm

[quote:f039f2f845="voovits"]Did anyone notice that Ellis Burks, Eric Karros, Kevin Appier, Pat Hentgen and David Segui all received votes for the hall?
These morons should have their voting privileges revoked.[/quote:f039f2f845]

Does anyone remember the story about Jim Deshaies getting a vote because the writer thought he was what players should represent on and off the field? These things happen all the time...there were people who voted for D Larsen to be in the Hall because of his WS no-no even though he won about 45 games and was below .500 for his career

Now if we really want to stir up the pot...can someone explain to me the following...you have 2 left handed pitchers who for their career win the same amount of games, each pitch for one of baseball's most storied teams, both have career win% just over .650, they each win at least one Cy Young, they each are part of multiple WS champions, one won an MVP the other finished 2nd, both are just below HOF avg standard rating, they both have 3 ea 20+ win seasons...YET...the pitcher with the MVP is a sure cinch 1st ballot HOFer and by some considered the greatest LHP of all time and the other could only get into Cooperstown if he drove there and bought an admission ticket??????
JONCHUCKERY

Postby pwootten » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:48 pm

[quote:9e7be202d1="jmc316"]

Does anyone remember the story about Jim Deshaies getting a vote because the writer thought he was what players should represent on and off the field? These things happen all the time...there were people who voted for D Larsen to be in the Hall because of his WS no-no even though he won about 45 games and was below .500 for his career[/quote:9e7be202d1]

And Chris Berman's nickname for Deshaies was . . . . ?
pwootten

Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s