someone please help with a pitcher injury

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

someone please help with a pitcher injury

Postby chrisfu » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:59 am

In tonight's game, Fred Norman, pitching for my team was injured in the 1st inning. The injury occurred with Dave Lopes on first base and Ralph Garr at the plate. Garr, batting as the DH, grounded out, and Lopes went to 2nd. Norman is now injured.

What???

I thought injuries only occurred to pitchers with the DH at bat (ok), and a roll of 6-12. Norman never has a GO on a 6-12 to a lefty batter. He has 2 K's on 6-12, a FO RFX, and 2 FO CF B. How did he get injured???
chrisfu

Postby voovits » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:34 am

You are correct on how a pitcher gets hurt.
I too am baffled as to how the injury occurred, and I'm usually pretty good on figuring these things out.
I would suggest e-mailing stratomatic@sportingnews.com ASAP. If Bernie can look at the game logs before the games run tomorrow night, he could explain what happened.
Put something in the subject of the e-mail hinting to the issue and they may get to it sooner.

Unless of course someone else could chime in with an answer. I'd be curious to know myself.
voovits

Postby Jimmy_C » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:40 am

Here it is straight from the rules:
[edit] Pitcher injuries

"A pitcher can be injured in one of two ways:

1. In a game where the DH is being used, if the pitcher in question is on the mound, and the DH is at bat, if the dice roll is 6-12, the pitcher rolls on the Injury Chart to determine his injury.
2. In a game where the DH is not being used, the pitcher may be injured if he rolls the injury roll on the pitcher's batting card when he is at the plate. In this case, he rolls on the Injury Chart to determine his injury."
-----------------------------------------------------

What the rules DO NOT define (and I've wondered about this), is what happens when a DH bunts or attempts the hit-and-run. I suspect that Garr bunted here (he's "A" rated) or attempted a hit-and-run (he's "B" rated). The runner moved to second base in either scenario and Garr grounded out at first.
Jimmy_C

Postby voovits » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:45 am

Hit and run makes sense actually. A strikeout could turn to a groundout on a H&R rolled on the pitchers card right?
There are instances where you refer to the pitchers card on a h&r attempt, so it could happen.

A bunt would not factor. You can not bunt for a base hit with a runner on first. Even if you could, it would have been scored a sac bunt anyway.

I feel stupid for missing out on the H&R...
voovits

Postby LMBombers » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:16 am

Since this appears to be a H&R you can't gain any knowledge of what year pitcher card you have since the results would actually come from the H&R chart.
LMBombers

Postby Jimmy_C » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:39 am

The only thing you have left to look at then is the duration of the injury. If it is 4 or more games then you can narrow it down to '75 or '79. A 3 game or less injury will tell you nothing.
Jimmy_C

Postby voovits » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:31 pm

From the rulebook:

"SUPER ADVANCED

19.5 Use the individual hit-and-run ratings and the Super Advanced Hit and Run tables on the Super Advanced Miscellaneous Charts (which are on the reverse side of the Super Advanced Fielding Chart).

There are a variety of different readings on these charts, some involving the pitcher's card. The necessary procedures and the results are explained on these charts."

http://www.rsbl.org/somrules.htm

I know for sure that H&R results could come from the pitchers card.

This I'm not 100% sure of, but I believe that strikeout results are changed into groundball C results, which advances runners 1 base.
voovits

thanks

Postby chrisfu » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:08 pm

Thank you for the responses. I had no clue how this could happen. The injury was for 3 games.

Chrisfu
chrisfu

Postby coyote303 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:13 am

I believe you also now have Norman's card narrowed down to the two years he has a strikeout at 6-12.
coyote303

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s