VENTING Page for the 70s/80s Players Championship

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Postby Jimmy_C » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:43 pm

My round #2 80's team went into the last night of the regular season looking to squeeze into the wild-card spot. I ended up sweeping all 3 games and immediately figured I was in. Then I saw it was a 3-way tie for the wild card spot. OK...no prob...I had the head-to-head tiebreaker against both the other teams...so I must be in.

Wrongo...It's been so long since I saw a 3-way tie I had to look up the tiebreaker rules. In a 3-way tie, the first tiebreaker is your record in the division (not your record h2h against the other teams). Well, 2 of us tied for the first tiebreaker, so it went to the 2nd tiebreaker which is run differential...where I got the proverbial fork stuck in me.

Ironically, if it was a 2-way tie between me and either one of the other teams...I'd be in. Oh well...Congrats to swordeman for making it through the 3-way tie!
Jimmy_C

Postby chess2899 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:32 pm

Losing out on a 3 way tie would be emotionally draining for me after a 2 month battle. Luckily, Jimmy, you are still in good shape in competing for the Final 12. Nevertheless, this game is loaded with tough losses. It takes a strong individual (or addicted) to keep playing this game knowing that only 1 manager out of 12 will be happy after a league ends.

I am sure that you will feel better in about 4 weeks. :D
chess2899

Postby seanreflex » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:40 pm

Draft is finished for Round 4, League 2.

I got only 2 of my top 15 picks!!! Worse yet, I'm only #7 in the waivers.

Probably the worst draft I've ever had. What a pathetic looking team. It will go nicely with my round 1 and round 2 90+ loss teams. :cry:

Good luck to everyone,

Sean
seanreflex

Postby visick » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:08 am

We're still missing 2 warm bodies in 80's league 5.

visick
visick

Postby jayhawk81 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:54 am

There's no venting in baseball. How about some Sunday morning optimism. My 70s team finished a pedestrian 79-83, but I consider it one of my luckier, better managerial jobs. It started with an awful draft, followed by an equally hosed waiver period, constant player movements (Fisk worst year, Cooper #4 year etc..). The team batting was 11th and the pitching staff rallied late in the year to finish 9th, wow!. So 79-83 playing in a division with 2 playoff teams, can't complain.

On the other hand, I gotta do a lot better to make the top 12!!!!
jayhawk81

Postby echo22 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:14 pm

I ended up with the first waiver pick in both Rd 3 and Rd 4 leagues. HAL obviously hates me and wants me to lose! At least the first 80's league mercifully ended for me. After a late surge (and near collapse the last 12 games) my Rd 1 70's team eeked out a playoff berth. Of course I get defending champ hailedog in the semis and he has totally thrashed me in both leagues so far.
echo22

Postby chess2899 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:27 pm

Face it Jen. Hailedog will thrash you again. He is hot, hot, hot and streaking in every league. He is the defending champion and you are just a speck of dust in his eyes. You have zero chance on beating him in the first round of the playoffs. Deep down, you really don't want to be in the Final12 because you would have to face him again for 2 months.

You are one of the best Mystery Card players in the world, but when you face Hailedog, you crumble like a potato chip. To him, beating you is like beating a pillow....nothing to it. Psychologically, he overpowers you. You are lost before the 1st pitch. Why even play the game? Just email TSN and ask for a forfeit. That way you won't be embarassed for 2 days. :lol:

HAL hates you and loves Hailedog. There is nothing you can do other than be helpless, sit back and lose.

I hope my pep talk sparked something inside of you, Jen! :D
chess2899

Postby Jimmy_C » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:43 pm

Jen...Hailedog is from Canada and he is going to be in a drunken stupor for at least a week due to the Canadian hockey team winning the gold medal. Now is the time to strike like a cobra!!
Jimmy_C

Postby Jimmy_C » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:27 pm

With League #1 and #2 in post season and League #4 yet to begin, it looks like it's venting intermission.

So I'll take a moment to say I had a GREAT draft in League #4. Unbelievable...I got 10 out of my top 11 picks. I'm way down to #7 on waivers. This is so unusual that I have no idea of how to handle this good fortune. I even gave my front office staff a day off!!

I'm wondering if now I should be nervous...? :roll:
Jimmy_C

Postby voovits » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:59 pm

My 80s team is amazingly powerful offensively. A good thing for the kingdome, but I overdid it.
I got so carried away pitting my draft card together that I did not allow for a leadoff hitter. Even the guys I missed out on got replaced by more power hitters.
Check this likely starting nine out...

C: J. Davis
1B: McGwire
2B: Grich
SS: Ripken
3B: Horner
LF: McReynolds (Of course)
CF: Dale Murphy
RF: J. Clark
DH: Canseco

I tried to grab McGee off waivers in exchange for Canseco, but I missed him by 2 picks.
My offense is going to average hitting 5 homeruns per game, but I'm going to lose each game 6-5.
voovits

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s