VENTING Page for the 70s/80s Players Championship

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Postby Jimmy_C » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:03 pm

I'd have no problem putting Jack in as my leadoff Voovits.
Jimmy_C

Postby voovits » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:15 pm

I was thinking something along the lines of Grich 1, Clark 2, or vice versa, because of the higher OBP.
This may be a tough lineup to figure out.
voovits

Postby chess2899 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:02 am

Voovits says:

[quote:a719850d46]My 80s team is amazingly powerful offensively. A good thing for the kingdome, but I overdid it.
I got so carried away pitting my draft card together that I did not allow for a leadoff hitter. Even the guys I missed out on got replaced by more power hitters.
Check this likely starting nine out...

C: J. Davis
1B: McGwire
2B: Grich
SS: Ripken
3B: Horner
LF: McReynolds (Of course)
CF: Dale Murphy
RF: J. Clark
DH: Canseco [/quote:a719850d46]

I wish my team was as powerful as yours, Voovits! :wink:

C: Parrish
SS: Cal Ripken
3B: Schmidt
LF: Mitchell
CF: Thomas
RF: Parker
DH: Canseco

I see similarities, but I didn't get McReynolds. :D

I am leading off......I don't even know who.......wait I have Strawberry on my bench!

The big question is Voovits, who has the better pitching? :roll:
chess2899

Postby voovits » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:26 am

I have mostly one season winders on my pitching staff.
Sutcliffe, Witt and Krukow.
Voila is at the head of that wonderful staff.
I'm taking a big gamble, hoping I could identify early if I got a winner or not out of those three and adjust accordingly.

Here's the team so far.
http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/80s/team/team_other.html?user_id=166302&stats=actual

I don't anticipate many changes, though I have a trade offer on the table. I might be losing Canseco for someone who could leadoff.
voovits

Postby chess2899 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:15 am

Don't trade Canseco. He hit 54 homers for me in the Kingdome and it was an average year. You can't trade a 50 homer guy for a lead-off person. So what if you lead off with a home run? I would rather lead off with a HR than have some little guy single, have a 50% chance of getting out trying to steal or be stranded at 2nd base to end the inning.

You have the BASH BROTHERS! You can't separate their steroid supply. One will become weak without the other!
chess2899

Postby Ducky » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:31 am

[quote:2faccbdb82="voovits"]My 80s team is amazingly powerful offensively. A good thing for the kingdome, but I overdid it.
I got so carried away pitting my draft card together that I did not allow for a leadoff hitter. Even the guys I missed out on got replaced by more power hitters.
Check this likely starting nine out...

C: J. Davis
SS: Ripken
3B: Horner
LF: McReynolds (Of course)
CF: Dale Murphy
RF: J. Clark
DH: Canseco

I tried to grab McGee off waivers in exchange for Canseco, but I missed him by 2 picks.
My offense is going to average hitting 5 homeruns per game, but I'm going to lose each game 6-5.[/quote:2faccbdb82]

Who is going to hit right handed pitching on this team? :shock:
Ducky

Postby pwootten » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:26 pm

Like Voovits I have a power-laden team in Kingdome. I've never gone this route before, usually preferring pitching and high OBP, so I'll undoubtedly mismanage it.

C Carter
1B Hargrove
2B Oquendo
3B McGwire (Yeah, I know)
SS H. Johnson (Yeah, I know)
OF Dale Murphy, Hayes, Strawberry
DH Kingman

The fireworks should be fun, and the defense will leak like a sieve!
Paul
pwootten

Postby Ragnarokpc » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:36 pm

My draft for 80's wasn't great, but I did get some good players and I'm interested to see how this team will do my first time in Fenway

C-Fisk
1B-Thornton
2B-White
3B-Oquendo
SS-Yount
LF-Daniels/Kruk
CF-Lynn
RF-Kruk/Snyder
DH-Bonilla

Not a lot of guys I normally have on a team here. I do think, though, that I'll have some flexibility if someone doesn't work out. If Thornton is bad, I can move Kruk to 1B and get another OF or I can just find another 1B. Have Gooden, Morris, and Browning as my first three starters. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Ragnarokpc

Postby chess2899 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:02 pm

See posts above concerning Diva and Hailedog. It looks like the Canadian Hailedog did not get out of his drunken stupor after watching Canada win the Olympic Gold Medal in Hockey.

The result in the 1st Round: The Diva slap-shot poor Hailedog out in 4 games.

CONGRATS to JEN! She is making a move to the Final 12. :D :D
chess2899

Postby voovits » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:05 pm

[quote:5554fec796="chess2899"]Don't trade Canseco. He hit 54 homers for me in the Kingdome and it was an average year. You can't trade a 50 homer guy for a lead-off person. So what if you lead off with a home run? I would rather lead off with a HR than have some little guy single, have a 50% chance of getting out trying to steal or be stranded at 2nd base to end the inning.

You have the BASH BROTHERS! You can't separate their steroid supply. One will become weak without the other![/quote:5554fec796]

I'm still thinking about it.
I'm considering a Canseco for Hayes swap.
That'll give me a left handed bat and a hitter who could mash righties, as well as hit at the top of the order.
voovits

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s