VENTING Page for the 70s/80s Players Championship

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Postby Ducky » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:55 pm

[quote:e81f68f2b6="ths92110"]I was beginning to think I was losing my sanity . . . .

I started him with no hook and no max innings pitched. By the end of the season it was quick hook and 6-7 innings max. Nothing I did made any difference. He got bombed every time out.

What's stoking the conspiracy theory is that paulzplace, who was managing the California Angles 2 in that league (finishing 93-69 by the way), dropped him IMMEDIATELY AFTER AN INJURY REVEAL in game 7 of the season, where a LH designated hitter (Gibson) singled off him in the first inning. At first I thought he'd made a mistake. Then I thought I'd read the reveal wrong when Cox kept getting shelled. Now I'm wondering whether something else is going on and paulzplace knows something about Cox's 86 card, or maybe something else, that I don't. He's currently 11th in the tournament standings with teams that are a combined 203-166, with a 1000 something player rating. I'd ask him myself but I don't know him and don't want to insult him or anyone else for that matter. But seeing a veteran player drop a guy's best year, AFTER THE INJURY REVEAL, and then watching the guy get crucified game after game is really making me wonder . . . . . :([/quote:e81f68f2b6]

I seem to recall that I inquired about Cox a couple of times trying to work out a deal. I did it based on the injury reveal and I know you told me you were going to hold on to him based on the injury. By not trading Cox to me, I picked up Youmans instead in his '86 season. He went 5-3 during the season and 2-0 in the playoffs. It is very strange how things work out sometimes.

Mike
Ducky

Postby djkalle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:49 pm

I was kicking myself for not picking up Cox before you did. He should have worked well as my 4th starter. But the way he pitched it makes me wonder if I ever want him, though I've seen this Cox card work wonders for a couple teams.

Guess you just had really bad luck. Your due for a stinker card that overperforms by about three levels. Good luck.

Chuck
djkalle

Postby Yellow_Dog » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:40 am

My Rally Caps were 100-57 with 5 games to go in League 4. Lost the last 5 regular season and then got swept in the semis to the Wild Card (which did have the best Pythagorean record, so I'm not too shocked).

Sniff.
Yellow_Dog

Postby Ragnarokpc » Sat May 01, 2010 2:09 am

All I can say is, good bye and good riddance.

Had a ****** night at work. My 80's team had to sweep their series to finish 3rd, otherwise we were dead last. How did my team respond? Naturally, we were swept. So awesome. I had a terrible season and it mirrored the tournament for me. I can at least say it's over with, the band aid is off and my suckage is now there for all to see. This is definitely the best team I've had that sucked, as we had a lot of good hitters and scored 908 runs. But allowing over 1000 isn't going to get it done and this is the second-worst 80's team I've ever had, second only to my other 80's tourney team. So . . . congrats to you who make the final 12, I wish you luck in the finals. I think I'll go back under my rock and never come out. I'd lick my wounds, but I don't think I have a tongue left. Peace!
Ragnarokpc

Postby FAaron » Sat May 01, 2010 7:30 pm

I finished tied for 14, out of the playoffs, out of the 12 team finals and two games back of the Canseco bat. Heck, I was hoping I could get it so I could use it to hit fungoes to son's baseball team.
FAaron

Postby LMBombers » Sat May 01, 2010 9:05 pm

[quote:f1c4811e0a="FAaron"]I finished tied for 14.[/quote:f1c4811e0a]

Fred, Currently you are tied with me. I am hoping to add to my point total and make the final 12. My playoff series is with DJtrickster who is 2 points ahead of us. I think whoever makes it to the finals in that league might slip into the top 12.
LMBombers

Postby FAaron » Sat May 01, 2010 10:15 pm

So I guess this means that 15 is about the best finish I can expect. Well, at least there is a 1 in 47 chance of winning an autographed ball!
FAaron

Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s