New league forming-an offensive tribute to Chris Knapp

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

New league forming-an offensive tribute to Chris Knapp

Postby JOSEPHBONK » Fri May 07, 2010 7:54 am

:shock: :shock: :shock:

This concept comes from our friends in the non-mystery card leagues and has been tailored a bit for use in the mystery card leagues.

According to the Stat Pack created by Yountfan, Chris Knapp is the starting pitcher with the fewest starts in the 70s game-he’s started 22 games. He has a way to go to catch Tom Seaver and his 343 starts. So to help him close the gap, this league will feature Chris taking the mound at least 22 times during the season. Tom (and many other pitchers) won’t be appearing in this league so we’ll contribute to the gap being closed. We will have some rules to make this an offensive league and to assist the lucky owner who will start Chris 22 times. Read on for the rules of the league.

Salary cap: $80 million
Drop: 5/10/20
Draft: Auto
Trades: No restrictions
Roster size: Must carry at least 24 or 25 players at all times once the season starts.

The details:

No pitcher, starters or relievers, with a salary of more than $3 million are eligible. There are 192 pitchers eligible for this league.

Defense up the middle is important, right? Not so much in this league since there are some restrictions:

SS and 2B: No 2B or SS-1 rated players are eligible. SS and 2B-2 ratings must have an e-rating of greater than 20. All 2B-SS 3 and 4 players are fair game regardless of e-rating.

C: No C with a range rating of 1 or a 2 are eligible (there are 44 catchers with ratings of 3 or 4)

CF: No player with a range rating of 1 in CF is eligible.

Stadiums:

Only 4 stadiums can be selected-each stadium will be in each of the three divisions. Stadiums and divisions are on a first come, first serve basis-I’ll take the last available slot/stadium. The four stadiums are:

Fenway Park
Jarry Park
Fulton County Stadium
Wrigley Field

Chris Knapp angle:

Each manager will place Chris on their auto-draft card in the 25th position. That means one lucky owner will get the services of Chris and will start him at least 22 times during the season. That owner will be on the honor system. Once Chris completes his 22 start minimum, he can be released from further service if so desired.

Since this could be considered quite a hurdle to overcome depending on the season, the winner of the Chris sweepstakes will receive a benefit. Prior to the waiver draft, that owner will have the right to make the first selection of any undrafted, eligible players. The other owners cannot select that player in the waiver draft.

One other point-if the autodraft assigns you an ineligible player based on the defense restrictions, that player will need to be dropped prior to the season starting.

While I tried to anticipate questions, if any issue arises which is not addressed here, the Commish shall apply sound reasoning to the decision making process and render an opinion.

Sign up below and indicate your division/stadium preference. Remember, once a stadium has been selected in a single division, no other team in that division can choose that stadium.

East:

Fenway Park
Jarry Park
Fulton County Stadium
Wrigley Field

Central:

Fenway Park
Jarry Park
Fulton County Stadium
Wrigley Field

West:

Fenway Park
Jarry Park
Fulton County Stadium
Wrigley Field
JOSEPHBONK

Postby FAaron » Fri May 07, 2010 10:18 am

That's interesting because this team of mine (http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/70s/team/team_other.html?user_id=63266) won a championship with Knapp starting 18 regular season games, so if he's only had 22 starts, then I guess he only made 4 for all other teams combined.
FAaron

Postby JOSEPHBONK » Fri May 07, 2010 10:40 am

[quote:68fd73c74b="FAaron"]That's interesting because this team of mine (http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/70s/team/team_other.html?user_id=63266) won a championship with Knapp starting 18 regular season games, so if he's only had 22 starts, then I guess he only made 4 for all other teams combined.[/quote:68fd73c74b]

I don't think that every single season is captured in YountFan's database. I didn't get a chance to view our link but from the data in the YF database, the "best" season of Chris was:

Knapp, C. Candlestick Park 4.94 1.53 11 15 0 0 182 205 73 123 21 .290 .412 5 .269 .354

Will you be joining in on the fun?? We'd love to have you participate.
JOSEPHBONK

Postby FAaron » Fri May 07, 2010 12:42 pm

Actually, JJ, you might want to enter this league, which is very similar to the one you are proposing.
http://forums.sportingnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=608843
There are 3 spots remaining, so you might want to work quick.

By the way, Knapp did this for me in 18 starts at the Vet:
7 6 0 2 140.1 122 75 60 73 101 27 3.85 1.39
FAaron

Bump

Postby JOSEPHBONK » Sun May 09, 2010 9:48 am

Bump
JOSEPHBONK

Postby JOSEPHBONK » Mon May 10, 2010 6:58 pm

bump
JOSEPHBONK

Bump

Postby JOSEPHBONK » Wed May 12, 2010 5:16 am