5. DOHowser - would like more info on sealed bid format before being committed
6. BobBoone
7. joekendall
8. hackra
9. Mr. BBW - will think about it
10.litangel
Palanion

Postby kimkrichbaum2 » Sat May 15, 2010 12:00 pm

I can't find the link, so let me describe the sealed bid in detail as much as I can.

We begin with the 3 highest salary hitters and 2 highest salary pitchers, who five owners volunteer to put up for auction, after that, whomever wins a players proposes the next, if you win a hitter, you propose a hitter, if you win a pitcher, you propose a pitcher. The proposing owner puts up a player name and makes an opening bid (or pass), all owners can either beat that bid or pass by sending a PM to the proposing owner. Bids are in increments of .01 mil. (The minimum opening bid is either .50 or 10% of the player's salary, whichever is higher). After all owners have bid or 24 hours has elapsed, the highest bid gets the player, and the proposing owner publishes the results (all the bids, not just the winner). Once you have submitted a bid, you can not resubmit, even within the 24 hour limit. If everyone passes, then the player belongs to the proposing owner for the minimum opening bid.
If there is a tie, this is announced, and the tied owners have 24 hours to make a new bid or pass. Again a winner is declared, or there is another tie, and owners rebid. If there is a tie because of two passes, then the player is given to the owner who made the earliest bid at the last tie (the one before the two pass tie) at the price of the last tie.
Owners are encouraged to actively pass rather than not bid, as this helps the auction move more quickly.
Owners can not make bids that would give them less than .50 per player left for the number of players they still need for their roster.
All owners must obviously draft a legal team for ATG V(15 hitters, 10 pitchers, 2 catchers, 3 RP only, etc.)

I would be willing to do the sealed bid auction exactly this way, but I have one small improvement I would like to suggest.
One quirk of this draft, is generally you do not want to propose players that you actually want, because then other owners get to see your top bid, and can beat it by a small amount. At the end of the draft, it can be a pain trying to find players you don't want, but other owners will bid on.

If any of you were part of the sealed bid auction noticed something I left out, please add it.

My suggestion would be that all players are put up for auction without the proposing player making a public bid. Instead the proposing owner makes a private bid (or pass) which they send to the owner following them in our sign up sequence. They must do this right when then they propose the player, before they have seen anyone else's bid. Then after all the bids are in, they announce the winner and all the bids including their own (they have sent their bid to the owner following them, just to keep them honest). The advantage to this system, is that only one owner gets to see the proposing owners bid, rather than all 11, making it more feasible to propose players you actually want.
kimkrichbaum2

Postby carr20 » Sat May 15, 2010 8:02 pm

Sign-up:
1. Palanion
2. gorshar
3. DHowser
4. miduar
6. BobBoone
7. joekendall
8. hackra
10.litangel
11. carr20
carr20

Postby Palanion » Sat May 15, 2010 9:40 pm

Sign-up:
1. Palanion
2. gorshar
3. DHowser
4. miduar
6. BobBoone
7. joekendall
8. hackra
10.litangel
11. carr20
12. ironwill

Yay! Now, how do we start this thing? Gorshar?
Palanion

Postby kimkrichbaum2 » Sat May 15, 2010 9:58 pm

Do we know if DHowser and Mr BBW are committed?

Also, do we want to use the one adjustment I suggested in the process?
kimkrichbaum2

Postby irish iii » Sat May 15, 2010 10:05 pm

If you need someone, I would be interested. Sounds like a great alternative to normal drafting.
irish iii

Woo hoo! Filling up!

Postby hackra » Sat May 15, 2010 10:58 pm

for what it's worth, I am in whichever way it goes, but I like the idea of the winning bidder putting forth the next player with an actual bid (starting point) publicly. It adds to the strategy of the draft imo (and I think should encourage managers to actually nominate players they DO want).

I like very much Litangel's proposal for tiebreakers (this was a little muddy in our last auction)

I also like the idea of a 3 round supplemental draft to give the struggling teams some help (great idea Bill). Maybe we should plan to go through one supplemental round per day after game 81, 84, and 87 or something like that (or some time constraint so all teams can get a pick in in a similar timeframe)

Any other rules that need clearing up or discussion?

When and where should we check in and get this party started?
8-)
hackra

Time to CONFIRM participation

Postby Palanion » Sun May 16, 2010 7:22 am

Actually, the original idea of a 3-round midseason supplemental came from Mr. BBW, and I ran with it. Great idea to keep interest past midseason.
We will confirm our participation by signing "IN" on the list. I think we can start up a separate auction thread, and keep this thread as just chat.

CONFIRM that you are playing:
1. Palanion - IN
2. gorshar
3. DHowser
4. miduar
6. BobBoone
7. joekendall
8. hackra
10.litangel
11. carr20
12. ironwill
Palanion

Postby carr20 » Sun May 16, 2010 7:33 am

CONFIRM that you are playing:
1. Palanion - IN
2. gorshar
3. DHowser
4. miduar
6. BobBoone
7. joekendall
8. hackra
10.litangel
11. carr20 - IN
12. ironwill
carr20

Postby gorshar » Sun May 16, 2010 7:53 am

Okay... here are the rules from last time with relevant changes:

League: ATG5, DH, unique ballparks. Bidding follows the usual $80/$200 convention. You have $80 mill to bid with and the total value of your roster is not to exceed $200 mill in Strat/SOM dollars. Bidding works like this:

A player is nominated (how so is explained further down this post) with a minimum bid posted to this board. The minimum bid must be at least $500K or 10% of the player's highest Strat value, whichever is greatest. The remaining 11 managers will PM a higher bid or a pass to the owner. Bids are made in increments of $10K (not $100K as in other auctions). Example, Ruth is nominated at 11.5 million. You can bid 12.5, 12.55, but not 12.555. After all eleven owners have sent their bids (or 24 hours elapses) the nominating owner will post all the bids and announce the winner. The winner then makes the next nomination. If all eleven owners pass, then the owner who made the nomination keeps the player at the amount offered. So don't nominate anyone you aren't willing to have on your team! Hitters are followed by hitters, pitchers are followed by pitchers.

litangel suggested that the nominator send their bid to another manager. I don't like this idea as it gives one other manager an advantage. I think the auction worked well (other than the tie-breaking issues) last time and the public opening bid simply put a different strategy on things (if I want him how much do I bid to keep others away......)

If you place an invalid bid, i.e. more than you can afford, the bid is ignored and the nominating owner who received your bid is not obligated to tell you your bid is no good, but it's always nice to do so, anyway.

We start with the top three hitters (Ruth, Gibson, Mantle) and top two pitchers (Maddux, Alexander). If possible, we can get some volunteers for each as you will almost certainly be outbid. I will volunteer for Maddux.

In the event of a tie... we had problems with this last time so litangel as proposed the following:
If there is a tie, this is announced, and the tied owners have 24 hours to make a new bid or pass. Again a winner is declared, or there is another tie, and owners rebid. If there is a tie because of two passes, then the player is given to the owner who made the earliest bid at the last tie (the one before the two pass tie) at the price of the last tie.

I'm okay with that if everybody else is.

Once a roster is filled (pitcher or hitter), the nomination will slide to the next owner on the list using the order from the initial sign-up which is as follows:

1. Palanion
2. gorshar
3. DHowser
4. miduar
5. DOHowser
6. BobBoone
7. joekendall
8. hackra
9. Mr. BBW
10.litangel
11. carr20
12. ironwill

As I see one person new to this format please be aware that you have $80 mill to bid with, but you have $200 mill of Strat value to fill your roster. Please be sure you are clear with this rule as some first time players have really screwed themselves up by thinking they had $200 mill to bid with.

Needless to say, integrity is essential to this auction and any nominator who assists another owner by privately revealing the current high bid on a player or simply agreeing to award a player to another at the highest amount needed will be tarred, feathered, thrown in a stockade and branded forever as a person "who sucks". Alternatively we just kill you. I don't see a problem with this bunch - we've all shared the sandbox before, but it needs to be said.

Rosters must conform to ATG 5 draft regulations.

For players with multiple cards, the highest valued card will be used against your $200 mill, though once play begins you can use any card you want and may even swap cards midseason.

Once the auction is finished there is no trading or free agent drops/picks. What you draft is what you get, except for making swaps between different cards of the same player.

Stadiums - will not be part of the auction. At the end of the auction we will draft unique parks. The order will be determined by the total SOM/Strat value of your final roster from low to high.

I'm okay with a supplemental draft midseason. No I don't yet have an idea how to do it.

Did I get it all?
gorshar

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat