Another Summer League - chat thread

Postby BobBoone » Mon May 17, 2010 2:32 pm

Mr. BBW just told me via another league thread that he's in.

And the auction leagues were BobBoone's idea originally, so I assume he's still in.

CONFIRM that you are playing:
1. Palanion - IN (opening bid for Josh Gibson)
2. gorshar - IN (opening bid for Maddux)
3. DHowser - IN (opening bids are full or else I would put up Buck)
4. miduar - IN
5. DOHowser - IN
6. BobBoone - IN
7. joekendall IN (opening bid for Ruth)
8. hackra - IN (opening bid for Pete Alexander)
9. Mr. BBW - IN
10.litangel - IN
11. carr20 - IN (opening bid for Mantle)
12. ironwill - IN

Alternates
1. irish iii
2. mjruth
BobBoone

The RULES

Postby Palanion » Mon May 17, 2010 3:06 pm

[b:82f0719975]League: [/b:82f0719975]ATG5, DH, adv, unique ballparks.

No transactions (no cuts, trades, etc) with TWO exceptions:
1. you may swap cards for a specific player, but only in the following manner - you cut the player with no new pickup, then you sign the player's new card.
2. a 3-round midseason draft to fill rosters

Bidding follows the usual $80/$200 convention. You have $80 mill to bid with and the total value of your roster is not to exceed $200 mill in Strat/SOM dollars. Bidding works like this:

A player is nominated (how so is explained further down this post) with a minimum bid posted to this board. The minimum bid must be at least $500K or 10% of the player's highest Strat value, whichever is greatest. The remaining 11 managers will PM a higher bid or a pass to the owner.

Bids are made in increments of $10K (not $100K as in other auctions). Example, Ruth is nominated at 11.5 million. You can bid 12.5, 12.55, but not 12.555. After all eleven owners have sent their bids (or 24 hours elapses) the nominating owner will post all the bids and announce the winner.

The winner then makes the next nomination.

If all eleven owners pass, then the owner who made the nomination keeps the player at the amount offered. So don't nominate anyone you aren't willing to have on your team! Hitters are followed by hitters, pitchers are followed by pitchers.

If you place an invalid bid (e.g., more than you can afford), the bid is ignored and the nominating owner who received your bid is not obligated to tell you your bid is no good, but it's always nice to do so, anyway.

We start with the top three priced hitters (Ruth, Gibson, Mantle) and top two priced pitchers (Maddux, Alexander).

If there is a tie, this is announced, and the tied owners have 24 hours to make a new bid. They [b:82f0719975]must [/b:82f0719975]bid, and their minimum bids must be the $$ at which they tied. Again a winner is declared, or there is another tie, and owners rebid. If they remain tied after a second rebid, then the player is given to the owner who made the earliest bid at the previous tie (the one before this tie) at the price of the last tie.

There will be a ballpark draft at the end of the auction with the draft order being the lowest-valued roster picking first.

Also, there will be a 3-round draft (worst-to-first, recordwise) the week of games 85-105 using the remainder of our cap money and the FA.

I will start a thread just for the auction right now. And this will remain as the Chat thread.
Palanion

question about rules regarding a singular player

Postby hackra » Wed May 19, 2010 11:12 pm

Joe Wood has a .85 hitter year and a 5.95 pitcher year. If I were so inclined as to bid on and win him as a hitter, could I switch years on him and have a roster with 14 hitters/11 pitchers? or visa versa if he were won as a pitcher could I switch for 9 pitchers/16 hitters?

:?
hackra

Postby gorshar » Wed May 19, 2010 11:28 pm

I would say that if he's auctioned as a hitter, he remains a hitter. If he's auctioned as a pitcher he remains a pitcher.

But that's just my opinion.
gorshar

Postby JOSEPHKENDALL » Thu May 20, 2010 12:02 am

I personally don't care either way.

This rule though will make it tough to switch cards after the season starts. Since you have to drop the player and pick them up again, it will be difficult if you are trying to swap a SP and you only have 5 on your roster. You have to have at least 5 at all times and can't swap a player you own for a different card without dropping him first.

1. you may swap cards for a specific player, but only in the following manner - you cut the player with no new pickup, then you sign the player's new card.
JOSEPHKENDALL

Postby MIKEARCHAMBAULT » Thu May 20, 2010 12:43 am

I don't see why you would want a .85 player on your team. He is the only player with the option; I think he should auction as a pitcher, and if the owner wants to change it to the hitter card, we should encourage it lol
MIKEARCHAMBAULT

Postby hackra » Thu May 20, 2010 8:17 am

[quote:d787d5f216="miduar"]I don't see why you would want a .85 player on your team. He is the only player with the option; I think he should auction as a pitcher, and if the owner wants to change it to the hitter card, we should encourage it lol[/quote:d787d5f216]

It probably wouldn't come up, but my thought was that a manager might want an .85 guy to stay under the 200 mil cap. much like many (myself included) will pick up a .50 starting pitcher to fill out the requirement with the intent of never starting that guy.

but also, Wood could easily be dropped as a hitter and become a SP/RP option if you didn't come up against the cap but wanted a 11th pitcher during the season.
hackra

Postby Mr Baseball World » Thu May 20, 2010 8:22 am

He will count as 5.95 against the cap according to the rules anyway(whether on the roster as a hitter or pitcher).
Mr Baseball World

Postby Palanion » Fri May 21, 2010 12:46 pm

Notice of incommunicado:
I will not be near a computer from about 3 p.m. ET this afternoon until tomorrow morning at the earliest.
We are visiting my wife's folks and I don't know if I'll have a chance to use their computer tomorrow morning before we leave and work our way back home (wife and I are going out tonight, and we and our son are going to an amusement park tomorrow) tomorrow evening.
So, if any new players are put on the market between 3 and 7 p.m. ET today (24 hours up during that time tomorrow) AND I have not bid before 10 a.m. tomorrow morning, consider me a PASS.

This, at least, could save the burnout of the "refresh" key for some tonight, while also saving 5 to 9 hours of waiting tomorrow.

Bill
Palanion

Postby Mr Baseball World » Fri May 21, 2010 1:13 pm

Bill:

If you want, I could text you names of new players nominated, put my bid in and then take your bid if there was someone you were really interested in. Just pm the number to text.

Rick
Mr Baseball World

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat