Mid-season saviors

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Mid-season saviors

Postby The Conndor » Sat May 22, 2010 8:45 pm

I tend to add/drop more than average, so I am often looking for bargains during the 90% and even the 80% drop periods... those guys who you would almost never look at to start a season, but who can come in handy if you have tried a number of alternatives at one position and no one has worked out.

So, I was curious... who are some guys who you fellow managers seem to gravitate towards as mid-season replacements... not so much guys dropped by other teams, but guys who are always sitting out there on the FA market?

1 guy I can give as a personal example... "Disco" Dan Ford. There is a lot not to like about his card, but if I have needed a platoon partner at either corner OF or DH, he seems to produce for me... and sometimes earns the full-time gig, as he has on my current team (I think I caught his 79 card). For whatever reason, I have had good luck with him, and terrible luck with another guy I have often looked for around the same time and in the same situation, Al Cowens, who never wants to hit his weight for me.

Who works/doesn't work for you mid-season?
The Conndor

Postby LMBombers » Sun May 23, 2010 6:40 am

Mulliniks and Luzinski are generally available and have done well for me on occasion as replacement players.
LMBombers

Postby voovits » Sun May 23, 2010 7:39 am

Brian Downing has been good to me in the past as well as Horner and Bonilla. Those 2 guys are not always available, but most of the time at least one of them is.
voovits

Postby tkkjlsoup » Sun May 23, 2010 12:55 pm

vs. LHP

Jerry Martin
Gary Roenicke
Mike Davis (LHH with 3 years that are great for busting those reverse LHPs)

vs. RHP

Mike Marshall
Dan Pasqua
Grubb/Lowenstein -- only one great year but boy is it nice when you get it
tkkjlsoup

Postby 1st Command Commando » Mon May 24, 2010 9:09 pm

I thought I was the only one who knew about Jerry Martin against LHP, he has always been available if I want him. I usually select him if I have Sarge and he is underperforming, or if Roenicke isn't getting the job done for me. Plus, he is a 2 def in all three OF positions.
1st Command Commando

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s