2009 NL Only "Wall Street League"

Postby Al Hogg » Thu May 27, 2010 12:20 am

I'm concerned that Meat somehow got abducted by aliens between his draft picks. (Either that or he fell asleep trying to get the kids to bed; that's what often happens to me.)
Al Hogg

SPs

Postby calbatross » Thu May 27, 2010 1:29 am

Al, I guess after picking Lincecum with the first pick and then catching up on the message board (which I hadn't looked at until today, oddly enough), it seemed like the way to go...4 SP*(7), i.e. 4 top quality starters that can pitch deep into games. With the no-limit SPs and the limited super-relievers, it seemed like a worthwhile strategy to pursue. Hopefully I will be taking middle relief out of the equation.

For the record, I would have voted against reliever limits. But, I am ok either way.

The batting order and defense could get a bit sketchy. But, I am up to the challenge. Looking forward to seeing how this thing fleshes out.
calbatross

Thome

Postby TomSiebert » Thu May 27, 2010 6:35 am

What do we think of Jim Thome? Do we want to make some sort of AL/NL exception for the guy? He spent most of the 2009 season DH-ing for the White Sox, then got traded to the Dodgers just before the deadline and had 17 pinch hit at bats. In the off season, he signed with the Twins, where he's DH-ing again.

He can't field, and I mean literally, HE CAN'T FIELD. There is no fielding rating for him. So, basically, you'd be spending almost $3Million for a pinch hitter in our NL game. I don't see anybody doing that.

Of course I could be wrong. If somebody wants him as the most specialized of all players, the slugging/whiffing Manny Mota of Strat 2010, then of course they should have that prerogative.

But if Thome goes undrafted, I suggest we shift him to the AL league that will follow this one. There are few enough players as it is in the AL league.

Thoughts?

tws
TomSiebert

Postby Al Hogg » Thu May 27, 2010 8:16 am

I think we can defer the discussion of whether to let Thome into an AL league to a later date. Certainly anyone in this no-DH league who is thinking about drafting him is highly encouraged to do so! :wink:

After warning everyone else about wasting early picks on "value" players, I am the first to break the sub-$2 million barrier with Furcal. Shortstop is such a weak position, though, so I am happy to get a good fielder with 600+ plate appearances. I now have the four weakest hitting positions (SS, 2B, 3B, C) filled; I should be able to get $3 million+ players to fill out the rest of my batting lineup.

By the way, the clock on DiamondDope is on, but our customary hours are between 10 am-10 pm Eastern, so please give Zim until 1 Eastern/noon Central before making the next pick. I can't imagine he won't check in before then.
Al Hogg

Postby SGTD » Thu May 27, 2010 8:33 am

Posted some proxies as I will be gone most of the day and will have no access or phone access. SGT D
SGTD

Postby TomSiebert » Thu May 27, 2010 9:16 am

I apologize to Zim and Jason specifically and the league in general -- Jason (Uptownmastermind) texted me this morning during my commute into NYC and asked if he should pick and I told him yes; I didn't realize (or actually I just didn't think) that the clock should've been shut off between 10 and 10.

Hopefully zim did not want Hanson (mmmmm-bop!). If he does, is there a way we can correct this?

tws

[b:ddd457bdbd]FREE JIM THOME[/b:ddd457bdbd]
Last edited by TomSiebert on Thu May 27, 2010 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
TomSiebert

Postby Al Hogg » Thu May 27, 2010 9:18 am

Looks like Jason went ahead and picked. I hope Zim didn't want Tommy Hanson. Let's please hold up any more manual picks until 1 Eastern/noon Central.

One disadvantage of DiamondDope compared with somdraft.com is that you can't set the time when the clock is on and I haven't exactly figured out what the schedule is here. I guess I think that 5:15-8:15 am Central time is not really a fair window to make someone pick, especially for folks on the West Coast (that's 3:15-6:15 a.m. Pacific time).
Al Hogg

Postby Al Hogg » Thu May 27, 2010 10:01 am

It now looks like Jason has dropped Hanson. Please do pick him, though, Jason, if Zim does not. Anyone else who had Hanson proxied got him wiped out with Jason's pick. Let's avoid having someone later in the draft not getting Hanson when he was top of their proxy list.
Al Hogg

Postby TomSiebert » Thu May 27, 2010 10:13 am

jason has already proxied Hanson.

tws
TomSiebert

Postby Al Hogg » Thu May 27, 2010 11:53 am

Looks like Zim might not make his time slot after all. Jason can go in about 10 minutes, then Terry will be up.
Al Hogg

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat