OKL 2010 Chat (Frenzy tonight midnight EST)

Postby Ninersphan » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:23 pm

[quote:d04dab105b="The Turtle"][quote:d04dab105b="Ninersphan"][quote:d04dab105b="The Turtle"]Another note, if you traded away more picks than you received than your extra picks to make your roster up to 25 go at the end of the draft. You do not get an extra pick in the next round after what would have been your last pick.[/quote:d04dab105b]

Uhm, just fill me in on one thing, what if I'm unavailable for the time you slot me in?? My schedule is pretty clear for next week during the day, (8am - 4 pm), but late afternoons and early evenings (4pm-8pm) are VERY busy for me and I'm likely not to be able to check in. I have 2 girls both who play sofball which has me at the ball park 3 to 4 nights any given week. They also have swim team practice, dance, guitar lessons etc etc.
If I follow this right, it looks like 6 picks could go off in a 3 hour period ( the usual standard clock for most drafts) I could essentially be skipped 6 times not sure I'm crazy about that idea...[/quote:d04dab105b]

That is why someone smart invented proxies. If you know for sure you won't be there, you can send a proxy along with the exact number of players since you know EXACTLY how many will be drafted while you are out.

For the record though are you on EST, CST or PST? If you are East Coast, which I think you are, and we start at 9 a.m. EST. Then you would pick at 11:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. The 6 is the problem, but you could always proxy it.[/quote:d04dab105b]

The problem isn't proxying the pick, the problem is seeing who else has been picked in the time I'm away to make my decision on a proxy. :wink:

But yeah I'm EST I'll make do as best I can if this works best for everyone else. Not trying to cause waves just trying to see how it works when I haven't done it before.
Ninersphan

Postby ArrylT » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:43 pm

[quote:663d52aea6="Ninersphan"][quote:663d52aea6="The Turtle"]Another note, if you traded away more picks than you received than your extra picks to make your roster up to 25 go at the end of the draft. You do not get an extra pick in the next round after what would have been your last pick.[/quote:663d52aea6]

Uhm, just fill me in on one thing, what if I'm unavailable for the time you slot me in?? My schedule is pretty clear for next week during the day, (8am - 4 pm), but late afternoons and early evenings (4pm-8pm) are VERY busy for me and I'm likely not to be able to check in. I have 2 girls both who play sofball which has me at the ball park 3 to 4 nights any given week. They also have swim team practice, dance, guitar lessons etc etc.
If I follow this right, it looks like 6 picks could go off in a 3 hour period ( the usual standard clock for most drafts) I could essentially be skipped 6 times not sure I'm crazy about that idea...[/quote:663d52aea6]

Yeah I am not a fan of this draft format at all.

Workwise, while my hours are about the same every day - the amount of work can greatly vary from day to day. With a 3 hour window I know I can usually find the time to check in and leave a pick or load a proxy.

I simply cannot make a pick within a 30min window on a regular basis because my work load and extra-curricular schedule makes it impossible.

I agree that proxies are important in moving a draft, but my experience has shown me that a team that drafts solely on proxies (well at least my teams) is much more likely to struggle.

Furthermore, with a 30min window, if a run occurs, you have very little time to change your draft strategy. At least with a 3 hour window you have the time to research some alternative options, make a pick and prepare the next rounds.

My team needs a lot of work and I cannot afford the inherent disadvantages to me in this draft format. Some of you just need to fill a hole or draft backups. I need a whole new rotation, and 6 position players

I'll simply have to be replaced if the league decides to go with that draft format, which I hate to do, but I wouldnt have signed on if I knew in advance this was the draft format.
ArrylT

Postby ArrylT » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:45 pm

[quote:caa1d1efdd="Ninersphan"]The problem isn't proxying the pick, the problem is seeing who else has been picked in the time I'm away to make my decision on a proxy. :wink: [/quote:caa1d1efdd]

My thoughts exactly lol.
ArrylT

Postby nythawk129921 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:58 pm

I personally dont have a problem this time around since I will just be drafting a few scrub bench players and relievers so I really am not impacted either way.
nythawk129921

Postby The Turtle » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:18 pm

I had this format listed for the league rules for the draft. I did not think it would be such a problem. It really does work much better once you give it a try. I just did a 18-rounder like that and it worked fine. 9a 24-team keeper where picks are even more crucial)

We can do the traditional format, it does not bother me really, but you two can't complain once about the draft moving slow, which it will. It will take us two weeks (instead of 5 days) at least to finish.

And if you want weird hours, I probably take the cake. A sports writer does not have a set schedule exactly -- although I don't have kids thank goodness.

As long as we finish before the 4th of July I guess. And AT I know you have holes but once you see the available list and then see who others have to draft because we have only scrub slots available, you will see it would not have hurt you too badly. I can send that list out tonight to anyone who wants it, if you PM your e-mail.

But, like I said we will do it the old fashioned way so we can keep everyone happy enough to stay.
The Turtle

Postby The Turtle » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:36 am

I sent the OKL draftable player list out to ArrylT, Rant, Aray0113 and Thisisray. I am pretty confident I got it all right, but mistakes happen -- just ask Jim Joyce.

If anyone else wants it, PM me by 3 p.m. CST tomorrow and I will send it out. Otherwise, you won't get it until 1 a.m. or so.
The Turtle

Postby ArrylT » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:01 am

I just checked the roll-call thread and I cannot find it - but maybe I missed it somewhere. The first I saw of it was when you posted it yesterday. :oops:

The next time I complain about a draft going slow will probably be one of my first. :wink: I certainly will pick asap always, but I can live with delays - especially since I deal with them on a daily basis at work. :lol:

Thanks for the e-mailed file. :)
ArrylT

Postby The Turtle » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:45 am

Aray seems to have gone awry
The Turtle

Postby ArrylT » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:46 am

Kewl it is my turn - should have a pick in the next hour.

Kudos to the The Turtle for updating the draft board to reflect recent trades. :)
ArrylT

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat