NLD XXIV Chat

Postby keyzick » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:08 pm

Well, not that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed the spanking I've taken, but this season can't end soon enough! Sheesh, my team just did not come together the way I'd planned.

But misery loves company, and I did enjoy some company! :wink:
keyzick

Postby Ninersphan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:29 pm

[quote:3754126167="keyzick"]Well, not that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed the spanking I've taken, but this season can't end soon enough! Sheesh, my team just did not come together the way I'd planned.

But misery loves company, and I did enjoy some company! :wink:[/quote:3754126167]

Ditto

and I'm listening to offers for the 1st overall pick for the next go around, which will be of the 100mil variety. :wink:
Ninersphan

Postby bigmahon » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:58 pm

[quote:97374391c9="Ninersphan"][quote:97374391c9="keyzick"]Well, not that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed the spanking I've taken, but this season can't end soon enough! Sheesh, my team just did not come together the way I'd planned.

But misery loves company, and I did enjoy some company! :wink:[/quote:97374391c9]

Ditto

and I'm listening to offers for the 1st overall pick for the next go around, which will be of the 100mil variety. :wink:[/quote:97374391c9]
So you're not leaving us? :shock: :D
bigmahon

Postby joethejet » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:41 pm

Stoney,

Actually, thanks for the thoughts, I appreciate it actually. Helps you get better even if you don't agree with all the conclusions.

So to address your thoughts. It's not the best fit for my hitters it's true, but I had to weigh off some fairly big HRs on the pitchers side so I chose Fenway which would help the OB and averages. The HRs for RHB isn't that low 1-7 is just below the average.

My actual park numbers are

13.0 6.3 11.0 7.9

So, 1-8 HRs on average for Hill, Tulo, Holliday and Kapler. Not terrible. Pretty average. Not like I had Petco for the home park. Singles are high for guys like Ethier, Morgan, Kennedy and Teixiera and above average for the RHBs. Obviously the singles didn't help my average. My contention is that they should have.

V LHP? Well, the O was counting on Kapler to get OB (didn't happen .316 OB v LHP :() and hit a few HRs (4.2 real Hrs) along with some HRs from Hill (6.0 real) and Tulo (4.6 real). Tulo is the only one that did what I hoped for. As for TBs, were were equal to or better than 4 of the other teams in the league v LHP. (Using my parks for all of the calcs) Our average TB is .445. Also, for most of the year Morales was our Catcher and has more TBs than Redmond (though not a ton)

V RHP, you missed Morales who also had more than 30 hit chances. We were pretty middle of the pack in that regard if you look at the average per team. We had outstanding OB v RHP (as good or better than 8 teams) and we were third in TBs v RHP. Only AT and you had more TBs on average. Even our clutch which I don't consider all that great was middle of the pack.

Platoons. Mostly I had two platoons 3b and RF. Sometimes Crisp played for either Morgan or Sheffield depending on the pitcher.
Morgan played against a lot of backward LHP. A weakness, but look at what Drew has done v backward LHP by comparison.
A Gonz - Due mostly to the injuries that Tulo and Kennedy had.
Crisp was due to the large number of injuries to Morgan (many 8+ gamers) and the number of Hard RHP we faced so he played over Sheffield. My bench was weak for sure and we got nailed by injuries.
Catchers - only platooned the last 20 games. Morales played most of the year. Solid singles hitter both ways.
Not sure why Kapler got so many ABs v RHp other than Hal is stupid. Of course his numbers v RHP aren't that much worse than V LHP.

Weak spots - I think I had one weak spot v RHP - Morales and two v LHP Morales and Morgan/Crisp The rest were pretty decent.

Pitching - Yep, the ratings would say average. The very good D *should* have made them better. The guy that got overworked the most - Sanches - I have no complaints about. 16 of the complete games came from Johson/Beckett. Lannan was on quick hook all season. Prolly should have had Correia there too. He's got a 1.63 ratio and a 5.59 ERA. One thing I didn't do well was get enough IP from Lyon some of that was we had so many mop up IP from Correia and Lannan.

As for closer, different strategies I suppose. Won the championship in NLD 22 and had Johnson and Giese pick up a ton of IP and Hanrahan for the late innings (c3) Had 41 saves on the staff with 17BS. Hanrahan lead with 15.

So, in summary, I agree with you that the park wasn't a great fit for some of my hitters. It was a good fit for others (e.g. Morgan, Kennedy, Morales). And, i think it was pretty good for the pitching. While my O had some holes v RHP, if you look at the whole league, this wasn't unusual. I think it is a complete flunk that we're 10 in runs scored. A joke really. I also agree that the pitching was average and expected the D to make it a good P/F, that didn't happen. In fact we gave up 79 unearned runs 22 more than the next closest team (Silver). Now, that's with an e10 as SS, and e8 at 2b and an e6 in CF. That's 16 of the 30 X factors. Catcher (e16) and 3b (27/24) were the only remotely high numbers of e's.
joethejet

Postby Ninersphan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:43 pm

[quote:eaff09131e="bigmahon"][quote:eaff09131e="Ninersphan"][quote:eaff09131e="keyzick"]Well, not that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed the spanking I've taken, but this season can't end soon enough! Sheesh, my team just did not come together the way I'd planned.

But misery loves company, and I did enjoy some company! :wink:[/quote:eaff09131e]

Ditto

and I'm listening to offers for the 1st overall pick for the next go around, which will be of the 100mil variety. :wink:[/quote:eaff09131e]
So you're not leaving us? :shock: :D[/quote:eaff09131e]

I said this would be my last YEAR in NLD, not season. I'll play out the next 1 or 2 go arounds with the 2009 set, but next YEAR, I'm stepping down.
Ninersphan

Postby joethejet » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:48 pm

Six games left

Hawk with a three game lead over Stoney. AT elimated from the EAst. Magic number is 4 as Stoney has the tiebreaker.

Big M coasting home

Jeep with 3 games over silver and Smokey. Magic number is 4 with both teams. In fact he doesn't have a winning record with any of the divisional teams. He's hoping I get hot since I play them both. Sorry, we've lost 10 straight series and our guys are more interested in golf and fishing. I've been trying to whip them into shape, but it's not working. "What's that? I'm due on the tee? Be right there!" :P

WC - Stoney up by 4 over AT, Silver adn Smoke. Magic number for him is 3.
joethejet

Postby Jeepdriver » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:56 pm

[quote:fe5ebd2b8b]He's hoping I get hot since I play them both[/quote:fe5ebd2b8b]

Actually I'm hoping I win my last two series and it won't matter how you fare against them. :wink:
Jeepdriver

Postby joethejet » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:15 am

Well, good thing since we got swept again 11 straight series losses now. Pathetic.

Microcosm of our season except no injuries.

Game one blow a 3-2 lead due to a 1-6 single an error. Then lose in extras, again, on an error.

Game two we can't do anything even when we roll on our own card. Jackson throws a 3 hitter. We did have 4 RHBs in the line up, not great, but not bad.

Game three we finally score runs, but does it matter? Nope, Correia the torch is on the mound and, thanks to his own error (e15) can't get out of the first inning and allows 3 unearned runs. We tie in the bottom of the inning when Hill actually hits a 1-7 HR! Holy mole, but Eyre gives a 1-4 granny in the third. Anyway, the short and long of it is when we score, we don't pitch and vice versa. <sigh>

Glad this one is almost over. :? :(

As for the playoffs,

East a dead heat with Hawk holding the tie breaker. They don't play each other. Philly has the Wave who has lost 10 straight (and I thought I was going bad), but maybe they're due to break out. (I'm been telling myself that since we fell out of first in the second week. Course, it doesnt' matter too much as the "loser" wins the WC.

Central - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Big M zzzzzzzzzzzz

West - Jeep just has to win one to hang on.

On the other side of the equation, Beach has moved past NP for the coveted first draft position. :P Big A has pulled out of the East due to our precipitous drop, but holds a tenuous one game lead. Keyzick would also escape with a good final series.

A little NLD history, this will be only the second time that Silver and Wineman/JTJ have both missed the playoffs. :shock:

Good luck to all!
joethejet

Postby Jeepdriver » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:46 am

Word has it BigM is trying to coax Her Majesty into staying another week or two so she can come to see him in the playoffs. :lol: :wink:

Meanwhile Smokey I need to win one tonight or your hot streak will result in the Division. I've won 4 of my last 5 series, I can't believe I could still lose this thing. I'm pleased that I'm not backing in; since Silver briefly took that one game lead my guys kicked it up a notch. GL Smokey.
Jeepdriver

Postby MARKHUARD » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:23 am

In the eight years I have played SOM Online, this is the worst NLD team and third worst team overall that I have ever fielded. My bruised ego and I will be back for another go-round. Congrats and good luck to Jeep/Smokey and the playoff teams.
MARKHUARD

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat