Another Summer League - chat thread

Postby JOSEPHKENDALL » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:09 am

[quote:a680d6c854="gorshar"]But what we really need is a program to run auctions. We could knock these out in a few weeks.

Adrian did contact me awhile ago asking for details of how we did auctions and what we needed but I guess maybe he found it too complicated???

Also Bernie has auction drafts somewhere down on his list of things to do...

Having participated (to my knowledge) in every auction done here (ATG4 x 2, ATG5 x 2, 2008, 1999, 1969 x 2) I think if there were a feature for it somewhere either with the real SOM drafts or with Diamond Dope there would be a lot of auctions played.

And it's the best draft of all because it's the only draft where every manager has a fair chance at every player.[/quote:a680d6c854]

I am a programmer. Anyone else? Could we wait a couple of weeks and try to get something off the ground for an Auction Application on another website?
JOSEPHKENDALL

Postby Palanion » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:58 am

1. Do want to find a way for the proposing owner to make a private, or semi private bid?
2. Do we want to pick divisions before the draft?
3. Do we want to pick ballparks before the draft?
4. Do we want to let owners choose who they propose for the first 5 guys, rather than choosing the 5 most expensive?
5. Do we want to allow people to change their bids at any time during the 24 hour period, only for a limited time (I would suggest one hour), or not at all?
6. (I will also add) do we want to keep our 3 player supplemental pick mid-year or not have it?

#1 - No. I like the way it is. I find this a major part of the strategic planning. If I open the bidding on someone I want and don't price it right, oh well. If I open the bidding on someone I don't want, I may price it to move or price it to try and get someone to spend money, or what have you.
#2 - no
#3 - no
#4 - yes
#5 - a bid change is fine as long as it's within the 24 hours and the results have not been announced, I can think of numerous reasons why it would be beneficial
#6 - yes, particularly with the ballpark and divisions after the auction
Palanion

Postby BobBoone » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:20 am

I'd like to start another sealed bid auction league when this one is done. My preference would be another ATGV auction, or a 2009 cards auction. I would love to go with the same rule, except allow those who introduce a player to make a secret bid also, but if folks really don't want that we can keep things exactly as they are.

I am interested in another sealed bid auction league (please list the year you would prefer, add another year not yet mentioned, if you would prefer that.)

1. litangel ATG or 2009
2. gorshar ATG
3. ironwill1 ATG
4. miduar ATG
5. Palanion ATG
6. joekendall ATG
7. hackra ATG
8. Carr20 ATG
9. DOHowser ATG
10. DHowser ATG or 1978
11. BobBoone (only coming back cus you are an amazing group!)
BobBoone

Postby kimkrichbaum2 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:08 pm

So everyone but Mr BBW has said they want to participate again. (he hasn't said either way)

My reading of the group desire is that
1)we don't want to mess with the draft to allow private bids by the proposing owner
2) we don't want to to choose divisions or parks before the draft,
3) we do want to allow the first five proposing owners to choose the players they propose freely
4) we do want to allow changing of bids until the auction on a player closes, and we do want to keep the mid-year 3 player supplemental draft.

it seems to me it makes sense to wait for a couple of weeks to see if Joekendall can help get us an auction program on another site. Do you agree? If he can't maybe we can start a new draft in a couple of weeks.
kimkrichbaum2

Postby BobBoone » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:14 pm

[quote:a33cfa5c00="litangel"]

it seems to me it makes sense to wait for a couple of weeks to see if Joekendall can help get us an auction program on another site. Do you agree? If he can't maybe we can start a new draft in a couple of weeks.[/quote:a33cfa5c00]

I agree completely.
BobBoone

Postby ironwill1 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:27 pm

I agree as well.
ironwill1

Postby MIKEARCHAMBAULT » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:36 pm

I agree with litangel's re-cap, and am quite willing to wait on an auction site (but only if it is simple enough for a caveman to do it)
MIKEARCHAMBAULT

Postby Mr Baseball World » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:55 pm

Just catching up......been out of the loop since I filled my roster.

There was an auction draft setup on somdraft a few years back. It worked ok. It was similar to our earlier version waiting for 24 hours to pass. It required each person to open at least 1 or 2 players each day. So you could have a lot of players going at once but they were in a list starting with the guy closest to time expiring and working down to the last one opened. Really worked ok.

For some reason when the first ones were done though they allowed you to draft in essence reserve players(beyond 28) and while you had 80 mill(or whatever was set for that draft) for auction $$$$ there was no limit on TSN $$$. As such they just ran for awhile until it was decided everyone had enough guys without a very good end. As such interest wained. Think that is fairly accurate.......ArrylT and penngray set them up so one of them would be able to explain it better. penngray has been gone awhile but ArrylT pops up now and again. Really just passing on a little history as it is no longer a viable option. Hate to waste all that writing though so will post it anyway. :oops:
Mr Baseball World

Postby Mr Baseball World » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:07 pm

I keep contemplating an exit strategy......maybe more accurately a scale back plan.........but it never works. Too many commitments but really hate to give them up.

Any thought to a slight change.........while still requiring the minimum bid for players with multiple cards to be 0% of the highest card, allowing someone to use the lower priced card and if they use the cheaper card, counting that against the 200 mill salary cap rather than always the more expensive card.

Another looney thought: Unlimited TSN cap. To accomplish that, once the draft was done we would schedule it as a live draft on TSN and then each just proxy our 25 guys.

Another looney idea: Allow people to go with up to 28 guys in the initial draft.

I fully expect these are ideas for another time if at all but fling them now in case one really excites the masses. [b:c03a2b5808]Really hate to have written all that and not be in so count me in.[/b:c03a2b5808] :oops: I have a "maybe" trip to Canada fishing next week so would not be able to start untiol the 27th.......still don't know if I will be able to get off work....... :x
Mr Baseball World

Postby gorshar » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:19 pm

[quote:c7e6b3cdf3]Any thought to a slight change.........while still requiring the minimum bid for players with multiple cards to be 0% of the highest card, allowing someone to use the lower priced card and if they use the cheaper card, counting that against the 200 mill salary cap rather than always the more expensive card. [/quote:c7e6b3cdf3]
I would be fine with this with the one caveat that you would not be allowed to trade up to a higher value at any later point.
gorshar

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat