Another Summer League - chat thread

Postby kimkrichbaum2 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:15 pm

I could go back into the discussion about nominator options, but if Joe can get us a program for sealed bid options, woo hoo! problem solved.

A Sealed bid program would be my preference. If we can have a program that reveals the bids when 24 hours is up, or when all 12 bid, which ever happens first, that would be great. If that was too complex, and it could only reveal after 24 hours, that would still work for me.

Thanks for working on this Joe!

[quote:2091e83121]
The only change I would like to see from the last auction: first five players on the block, open to proposing manager, not the 5 most expensive players: Buck, Ruth, Gibson, Maddux and Buck Jr.[/quote:2091e83121]

In earlier discussion, it seems a majority of folks would like the original nominating owners to have choice, rather than most expensive players, I think choosing those owners by randomizer is a good idea. DO, if you get chosen and want to put up Buck, more power to you!
kimkrichbaum2

Postby JOSEPHKENDALL » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:50 pm

[quote:5c97ea6394="gorshar"]I think it's a fantastic idea to have a program. Would there be a way to make it available to the entire community?

And I suppose the program can receive the bids and award the players in a sealed auction which would than negate the issue we're debating now.[/quote:5c97ea6394]

Let me work on it for our draft first. If I can get it working to everyone's satisfaction, then we can talk about opening it up to the community.
JOSEPHKENDALL

Postby hackra » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:10 pm

[quote:ab0082d86c="joekendall"][quote:ab0082d86c="gorshar"]
The open bid auction of course alleviates this problem and is indeed the purist of auctions... but it also takes about six months to complete instead of the two months or so the sealed bid auctions take.

I think what would really help is a program to run open bid auctions as many more players could be on the block at once as ideally the list of players, their highest bid, and the time left to expiration would all be prominently listed saving the trouble of having to wade back through all the posts.[/quote:ab0082d86c]

Would everyone be agreeable to having a program that runs the auction and either :

1 - Have a sealed bid format where everyone bids secretly and the program reveals the bids once everyone has bid within a certain amount of time?

2 - Have a true auction format where you can outbid each other again and again within a certain amount of time until someone wins?

If we can come to an agreement on how you would like the program to work, I will be happy to create the program and host it on the internet for us to use. Please weigh in with your thoughts.[/quote:ab0082d86c]

My thought is this. If we wanted a "true" auction, we could already do that (it just would take a LOT longer).

I think I like the idea of a website that would allow a manager to nominate a player with a secret bid (he would have to bid on whoever was nominated) and take bids from everyone else eligible to bid, then report the results (including all of the bids).

I do see a few potential problems-

1) when a manager has all 15 hitters or all 10 pitchers, we have been able to automatically pass for that manager. If the program/website can handle this, great.
2) we have to some extent been able to bypass bids later in the auction when a manager has insufficient funds to outbid the nomination price. Since there is no nomination price except the 10% minimum of .50 million, this also couldn't be done.
3) we would need a way for the program to handle ties. (maybe first bid in?)

Honestly, I am happy with the format overall as it stands already, but thanks for your willingness to try to make it even better.

:D
hackra

Postby JOSEPHKENDALL » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:34 pm

The website will handle everything. Everyone would submit a sealed bid. We can have it keep track of bidding money and player salary. If a person can't bid due to not having enough money, we can program that in. The program can keep track of when a person bid so that earliest submission can be the tie breaker if everyone wants it that way.
JOSEPHKENDALL

Postby kimkrichbaum2 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:09 pm

My thoughts on the little issues hackra mentioned.

With ties I would love being able to have one rebid, if that is too big a programming issue, could have the winner of a tie be random? That seems easily doable in programming terms.

If bypassing those full with hitters or pitchers, or those with not enough $ to bid seems too difficult, assuming we trust each other, we could leave sign into your website be without password, and in the case of people unable to bid because of $ or full of hitters or pitchers, the proposing owners could simply go in and pass for those owners.
kimkrichbaum2

Postby Palanion » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:39 pm

Wow... lots of talk since I logged in last. I agree a sealed bid auction program would be the best. I think it would be really cool.
And while I am intrigued by DHowser's idea behind the nominator getting to rebid after all bids are in, my biggest issue with that is strategy. I think there would actually be less strategy involved in nominating players. I had a complete strategic plan for who to nominate and when, and for how much. I don't know if it necessarily worked since the season has not yet begun, but I might see some of it play out as I wished.
And, as others have mentioned, if Joe can have a program running, then the concept is moot. Of course, so will part of my strategy for nominating be moot since the nominator's bid will not be public.
Oh well.

Good luck gang as the season starts tonight!!
Bill
Palanion

Postby Palanion » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:26 am

BUMP - to see if joe has an update on his auction app. :D
Palanion

Three-round midseason supplemental draft

Postby Palanion » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:45 am

Three-round midseason supplemental draft RULES

from WAY earlier in this thread
[quote:de93edc9aa]the midseason 3-round draft would take place the fifth week of the season (games 85-105). The draft order would be worst-to-first based on records at the 84-game mark, with H2H, then run. diff. for tie-breakers.
You can spend whatever $$ you have left under your cap to draft any (EDIT: available) three players.
Still no trading, cuts, etc. otherwise. [/quote:de93edc9aa]
So...
The draft order is worst to first for all three rounds.
Manager CAN pass when it is his turn to pick. However, if a manager passes, he cannot make a pick later (e.g., pass in round 2 and pick in round 3)
No trading/transactions, per overall league rules.
The draft MUST be completed by next Monday morning (8/23).
The new drafted players can be activated (put on rosters) at any time beginning on Monday, Aug. 23, but NO EARLIER.

1. miduar (32-52)
2. litangel (38-46)
3. DHowser (39-45)
4. ironwill (40-44)
5. joekendall (41-43) (h2h tie-break with Carr20 - 2-7)
6. Carr20 (41-43) (h2h tie-break with joekendall - 7-2)
7. gorshar (42-42)
8. BobBoone (43-41)
9. DOHowser (44-40)
10. Mr. Baseball World (45-39
11. hackra (48-36)
12. Palanion (51-33)
Palanion

Postby MIKEARCHAMBAULT » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:02 am

ROUND 1

miduar - Zack Wheat (8.08)
MIKEARCHAMBAULT

Postby Mr Baseball World » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:48 am

Guess I did not pay attention to the rules of the mid season draft. :oops: I assumed it was an auction since this was an auction draft. I am a pass on all three rounds.
Mr Baseball World

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat