THE SYSTEM - MINORS/MAJORS FULL - replacement needed

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Postby sphilipp8 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:12 am

I have a question on the waiver rules. If someone drops a major league player just before game 142 is played there won't be a full 24 hours for the waiver process to work. In fact we might need more than 24 hours if the team that claims the dropped player off waivers has to make a waiver move as well. Am I interpreting the rule correctly? Is this a problem?

I really like the waiver concept. It adds realism to the game and also prevents a team that's out of contention from dropping a stud having a big year from their major league team and adding him to their minor league team.
sphilipp8

Postby BC Manager » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:53 pm

That's a good question and I don't think I'd really considered that problem. A couple of ways we could deal with it:

1) The last waiver drops must be 24 hours before the trade deadline, and any team claiming a player must have room for the player without having to put anyone on waivers. However this creates a loophole where teams can drop someone on the last day without much chance of the player being claimed.

2) Having a deadline for dropping Major league players, like a week before the real deadline - but then claiming teams may have to drop, which could maybe be allowed within that last week.

Any other ideas? Do ppl prefer 1 or 2?
BC Manager

Postby wesleyeugeneclark » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:30 pm

One thing to consider is that if player A is having a great year and your team is out of contention, you wouldn't automatically ship him to the minors as there is no way to guarantee that you are going to get the same card in the minors. Conversely, if someone is having a great year in the minors it might not be the best idea to bring them up to the major league team for the same reason. It really adds to the strategy.
wesleyeugeneclark

70/80 Players

Postby YountFan » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:44 pm

Here are the players that have both 70's and 80's cards.

Right click on link below and select Save Target As...

[url=http://JNKLOSTER.home.comcast.net/70s-80s-players-salary.xls]Players with 70's and 80's cards[/url]
YountFan

Postby djkalle » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:38 pm

I prefer BC Manager option one in regards to the late waivers.
djkalle

Postby BC Manager » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:34 pm

[quote:7717e1ec14="Wesleyeugeneclark"]One thing to consider is that if player A is having a great year and your team is out of contention, you wouldn't automatically ship him to the minors as there is no way to guarantee that you are going to get the same card in the minors. Conversely, if someone is having a great year in the minors it might not be the best idea to bring them up to the major league team for the same reason. It really adds to the strategy.[/quote:7717e1ec14]

Point taken, Wes. What I'm trying to prevent is when your Major league team is 25 games back and your Minor league team is in a dogfight, and you're tempted to demote Willie Stargell to the minors to put your farm team over the top.

After the first season we'll review the rules in case we decide adjustments are needed.
BC Manager

Postby djkalle » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:47 am

I have a question. Let's say you drop the 70's Willie Randolph from your major league team to your reserve in game #78 and then decide that you want him on your other team in game 84. Would he be free to move since you dropped him before game #81 and he's under $5 million or need to clear waivers since your picking him up in game #84?

If you dropped him to reserve from the majors at game #99 and decide to pick him up on your minors at game #136, he would have to clear waivers at the game #136 mark if i understand correctly.
djkalle

Postby SCOTTELLINGWORTH » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:03 am

Holy Cow....I took the weekend off of looking at the forums and was that a mistake!

I see the league is full, but could I be an alternate if someone doesn't show?
SCOTTELLINGWORTH

Postby wesleyeugeneclark » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:21 am

I have a question concerning the draft. I have never done a live draft. How exactly does it work?
wesleyeugeneclark

Postby BC Manager » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:27 pm

[quote:9a0172da01="djkalle"]I have a question. Let's say you drop the 70's Willie Randolph from your major league team to your reserve in game #78 and then decide that you want him on your other team in game 84. Would he be free to move since you dropped him before game #81 and he's under $5 million or need to clear waivers since your picking him up in game #84?

If you dropped him to reserve from the majors at game #99 and decide to pick him up on your minors at game #136, he would have to clear waivers at the game #136 mark if i understand correctly.[/quote:9a0172da01]

From what you're describing here, he would not have to clear waivers at all. Waivers are only required when dropping a player from your major league team (if >$5, after game 42, or for anyone after game 81). No waivers are needed to add someone to your minor league team, drop from your minor league team or to [i:9a0172da01]add[/i:9a0172da01] someone to your major league team, for that matter.

You may be describing a loophold here, altho, what you're also describing involves retaining Randolph's rights without either team benefiting from him for a while. This might work if you have good 2B's to fill in while Willie sits on reserve.
BC Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s