Major League Keeper League

Postby kaviksdad » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:06 am

You have a valid point bbasebrawl, but there is a problem when the prospect draft is allowed to include the current year MLB draftees. This has come up in each of the leagues I'm in at one point or another (in GMKL current year MLB draftees are off limits) and the general consensus has been this:

Because all current year MLB draft picks can sign contracts any time from draft day to the start of the college school year (think Scott Boras here) it often happens that half the 1st round picks sign and half wait until the end.

Because there is no fixed date for any prospect draft in any league, we don't know who will be signed when the draft begins. Or who signs while the draft is in progress for that matter.

So in order to be fair it's been a pretty universal decision to lay off this years MLB draftees because of the whole "signing" issue and let them add to the next years drafts. There are always guys that think otherwise in each league, but the majority usually think this is a fair process.
kaviksdad

Postby bbasebrawl » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:04 am

[quote:d4c3d72600="kaviksdad"]You have a valid point bbasebrawl, but there is a problem when the prospect draft is allowed to include the current year MLB draftees. This has come up in each of the leagues I'm in at one point or another (in GMKL current year MLB draftees are off limits) and the general consensus has been this:

Because all current year MLB draft picks can sign contracts any time from draft day to the start of the college school year (think Scott Boras here) it often happens that half the 1st round picks sign and half wait until the end.

Because there is no fixed date for any prospect draft in any league, we don't know who will be signed when the draft begins. Or who signs while the draft is in progress for that matter.

So in order to be fair it's been a pretty universal decision to lay off this years MLB draftees because of the whole "signing" issue and let them add to the next years drafts. There are always guys that think otherwise in each league, but the majority usually think this is a fair process.[/quote:d4c3d72600]

I to think it would be a fair process and would like to see that implemented, but I also could see that RallySally could possibly disagree since the rules did not state that he could not draft a prospect from this years MLB draft. Maybe RallySally can chime in and give us his point of view since he is the one involved the most...
bbasebrawl

Postby kaviksdad » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:45 pm

There's a problem with that solution too - if RallySally does object and want to keep Harper then I'm going to object because I would have taken Harper but believed he wasn't eligible, based on what historically has been the position in similar keepers.

And then I imagine someone could object that they didn't get Strasburg last year - and so on.

It appears that the ambiguity in the rules has led to a division where some managers are operating under rules and some operate under a different set of rules - it's all interpretation and without a directive from the commish as to what the rules actually mean (not exactly what they say) I believe we're stuck.
kaviksdad

Postby bbasebrawl » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:49 pm

I disagree on how the rules are interpreted. I think the way the rules are stated that RallySally is strictly in compliance whether we agree or not.
As far as your objection to not drafting Harper, I think that would be covered in item 8 of the rules, 8) Individual owners are responsible for their own prospect research.
Now do not get me wrong, I know that you were going on the idea that Harper was not available the reason you did not draft but if you had drafted him then we would be having this discussion about whether you were correct or not by the rules. All I am trying to say is that I think Rally was within the rules and if from here on out we need to change the rules then lets do so.. Besides, Harper could be a big bust anyway :)
bbasebrawl

Postby TefJ » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:00 pm

I am with KD on this one. I am pretty sure that this same discussion happened last year for Strasburg, and that we decided that current year draftees are not eligible, due to the concerns voiced by KD and myself. Ray probably just forgot to alter the rules on page 1.

According to your reasoning, then Ray's first pick is not eligible, and no one objected to that (after the explanation).

The last thing we need are loopholes and confusion about who is available in this draft, as we're having enough trouble just getting people to show up. It's pretty clear that there are some major problems with allowing first year players in the draft, so I think we should just go with that. We can have a vote about it, if you really think it's important.
TefJ

Postby kaviksdad » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:19 pm

I don't have time to go through the entire thread to verify the decision, but this issue appears to have been discussed starting on page 18/19 of the thread.
kaviksdad

Postby bbasebrawl » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:30 pm

[quote:41760a5c08="kaviksdad"]I don't have time to go through the entire thread to verify the decision, but this issue appears to have been discussed starting on page 18/19 of the thread.[/quote:41760a5c08]

You are right on Kavik, that conversation took place before I joined the league so I did not realize that the issue had been resolved since I only looked at the original rules on page 1..
bbasebrawl

Postby kaviksdad » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:57 am

You are right that we need to clean up the language in the rules so we don't do this same thing next prospect draft.

Because we've been doing it already I don't think we need a vote - just changing the language in the rules to make the meaning more clear.

I can do that if that's ok with everyone - I can post the "before and after" language for everyone to look at and comment on before it actually gets into the rules.
kaviksdad

Postby kaviksdad » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:00 am

Round 1

1.ThisisRay - Jon Jay OF StL
2.ThisisDan - Travis Wood SP Cin
3.Jagman - Jose Tabata OF PIT
4.Jehale Michael Trout CF LAA
5.Aray0113 - Dillon Gee P NYM
6.Kaviksdad - Wil Myers C KC
7.[b:d1d885ac05]RallySally - REPICK - HARPER INELIGIBLE [/b:d1d885ac05]

8.[b:d1d885ac05]Bbasebrawl[/b:d1d885ac05]

9.Nythawk
10.WPWangFuddle
11.Smitty
12.BillyV

I'll send an email to RallySally to let him know to repick
kaviksdad

Postby Rally Sally » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:00 pm

Round 1

1.ThisisRay - Jon Jay OF StL
2.ThisisDan - Travis Wood SP Cin
3.Jagman - Jose Tabata OF PIT
4.Jehale Michael Trout CF LAA
5.Aray0113 - Dillon Gee P NYM
6.Kaviksdad - Wil Myers C KC
7.RallySally - Jonny Venters RP ATL

8.Bbasebrawl

9.Nythawk
10.WPWangFuddle
11.Smitty
12.BillyV

Sorry about the mix-up guys, but these draft rules are a bit hard to figure out. If Venters is also ineligible let me know, I'll just keep trying!
Rally Sally

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat