Disappointed with 90s Injury No-Reveals

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Postby durantjerry » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:09 pm

rEGAERDING INJURY REVEALS, i HAVE EIGHT 90'S TEAMS THAT HAVE PLAYED AS MUCH AS 51 GAMES AND AS FEW AS 30 GAMES(360 GAMES). i HAVE HAD APPROXIMATELY 100 INJURY REVEALS OF ALL KINDS(hr'S, INJURIES, HBP'S, ETC) COUNTING DUPLICATES. i PROBABLY MISSED A FEW. i HAVE A PAPER FULL OF INJURY REVEALS. tO ME, THAT IS PLENTY. HOW MANY EXACTLY DO YOU NEED? sOME MAKE IT SOUND LIKE IT DOESN'T EXIST AT ALL. sORRY FOR THE CAPS, DIDN'T FEEL LIKE TYPING OVER.
durantjerry

Postby phillyhemp » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:32 pm

Good points by everyone. I suppose if one wants to carry around a piece of paper for each team, meticulously scribbling each triple and other rarities, then the lack of a clear injury reveal is no problem.

Like panzer ace brought up, I think it is really going to hurt the newbies enjoyment and/or likelihood to stick with it. Look at all the available leagues, most are not mystery card format. If we want to encourage new players, giving the ability to know the year of your player card is a good start.

Why make the injury reveal nothing (I know this isn't the case with all cards)? What's the harm? That we might actually know concretely which year we have? Why is that bad? Isn't that kind of the point?
phillyhemp

Postby LMBombers » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:56 am

I agree with the majority here. The lack of easy injury reveals does not bother me at all. Most injuries still knock off a year or two so they do help some. I do not agree that this somehow discourages new players.

I encourage all managers to track the reveals they find in all mystery card games. I don't keep an actual piece of paper but I create an Excel spreadsheet for each of my teams and just type them in there. When I first started playing I used to go through every league game and track injuries for all players so that I might snag a player that may have been dropped due to bad performance that I knew was (or still could be) on a good card. I gave that up and now only track my players.

No where in the rules does it say that the card year must be revealed when a player gets injured. This is just one way to try and narrow down the possibilities. Also, even if the card year was given away at every injury don't think that then there would be as many open mystery card leagues as there are ATG. That is just ridiculous. For whatever reason ATG will always be the BMOC. Personally I don't get it but everyone has different tastes.
LMBombers

Postby djkalle » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:22 am

If we want more mystery players to stick around, make sure we offer to help out the newbies in our leagues and show them how great the mystery card games are.
djkalle

Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s