What went wrong?

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

What went wrong?

Postby Eddie E » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:23 am

I hope this is the proper link to my team:

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/league/team_schedule.html?user_id=291424

If not would someone give me a primer on how to put up a good link?

Anyway, This is my team that I drafted in a hitters park: Metrodome.

I have cut Roger Clemens who appeared to have his worst card and wasnt even achieving that. I cut Mieske as part of a left field platoon for same reason, John Mabry in Right field and Craig Biggio at second who had gotten injured five times in two weeks. His card was ok but I decided to use the money to get another bat. I put Oquendo in for defense at 2nd, acquired Alou for left and Buhner for right and replaced Clemens with McCaskill. I know it isnt good to replace a lot of players but it was only at 5% and something needed to be done. However, I am still losing at a prodigious pace. What dont I understand about the Mystery card format that I keep getting it wrong? This is my first attempt.
Eddie E

Postby visick » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:26 am

Go to:

Statistics, click on Team, click on your Team, copy/paste the URL from there.
visick

Postby Eddie E » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:54 am

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=291424

Thanks
Eddie E

Postby visick » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:54 am

Well...

1. I'd start here...

http://forums.sportingnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=10283

There are some great guidelines to the mystery card game in that thread.

2. You also need a little more luck in this game...

3. I tend to draft players with at least 3 "good" years on their cards. That gives me at least a 60% chance of getting a good season out of them. I might be a bit more patient with these guys as well.

4. The guys with a good season or 2 ONLY on their cards, I'm less patient with. You should know right away whether or not it's their best season. If they aren't performing after 2-3 series, cut your losses and them as well.

[b:7691e8733f]With this squad...[/b:7691e8733f]
SP: Bosio looks fine. (What card do you think you have of Bosio's?) Burkett seems to be getting hammered. McCaskill seems like he's a good fit for your park, but he's a #4 starter. Sanderson is OK vs. LH's but righties are hitting over .300 against him.

Milacki should never see the field.

RP: Mesa is getting hammered. Jones is great. Eichhorn looks to be OK. The hard guys in your pen seem to be fine as long as they see their strong side.

Hitting:
Not crazy about Tettleton. If you have guys in your lineup that can hit and get OB, he's OK then with his HR's. But if you don't, he's a waste.

Vizquel is only giving you defense. It's too much to pay for just a glove.

Buhner and Boggs are not hitting RH's. Big problems in Strat.

My 2 cents...

1. Try some sub $2 million *SP's. They are good for your park. ie. Gross, Stottlemyre, Lieber (little more than $2 mill.)

2. Dump Mesa. Grab a hard RH RP.

Gotta see who's available hitting wise who hasn't been tried yet.

visick
visick

Postby Eddie E » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:42 am

Visick

Thanks for your help. At this stage of the season pretty much anyone over $4 mil has been tried so there isnt much left except for cheap options. I tried to find a replacement for Vizquel but the highest $ SS is Jay Bell who was a throwaway and its downhill from there. I did dump Mesa and replaced Burkett with the last SP available who had three decent years in Harnisch. What's funny is that I have Tettleton's best OPS card but he is still really underperforming so far. I will wait him out.
Eddie E

Postby visick » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:27 am

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=289746

I got lucky with Harnisch. He's been light's out almost every time out.

Good luck...
visick

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s