3rd Auction league - bidding...now chat thread

My team

Postby kimkrichbaum2 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:09 am

Now that my team is full, and yours are either close, or will be soon. I thought I'd talk about how I feel about my team. it is ironic I am the first one finished since I was last or second to last in players and money spent for most of the draft.

I started out with a plan - a strong player at every position with just a few stars, mediocre starting pitching (saving money) and a strong bullpen anchored by Sutter.

First of all, I have some questions about my plan. I am not sure if simply a good hitter at every position without stars would be enough, especially with mediocre starters. Then early on I lost out on Josh Gibson who was the one offensive start I was planning on. I decided to use that saved money to improve at 3b, so i went for Brett and just missed, and then got Beckwith. I still had some extra money from my plan, and decided to use it to upgrade my pitching. For only a few mil more I was able to get starters rated about 20-35th best, rather than the 30-45th I was planning on. And my bullpen ended up even deeper than I had planned.

I really like my pitching, I have a lot of mid-range starters who fit the type of stadium I want well. And I am guessing I have the deepest and best bullpen with Sutter, O'Dell, Reulbach, Schiraldi and Miller.

My hitters truly lack that one big star. I got most f the players I wanted. At most positions I had several choices. The only slight disappointments after Gibson, were losing out on Stargell, but I had Torriente as my second choice and got him, and missing E Howard. And then again there was the debacle with getting Bishop when I didn't want him cause I already had Evers. What that cost me was a backup catcher, I will now have to use Beckwith. If I had not gotten Bishop, I would probably have Fisk or Palm as my backup - but hey, no team is perfect.

So I am happier than I thought with my pitching, but an curious how my hitting will go. Let's see what happens!
kimkrichbaum2

Postby jet40 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:17 am

I am pretty new to 200 mil. leagues (2nd one), so I have no idea if my pre-draft strategy will work. I decided to build my team after big starting pitching. I felt to keep the SP in the game I also needed good defence. Willie Mays supplies the defence and can hit in the middle of the lineup. Same for Barry Bonds. I am a little concerned with my below average defence at SS (Petrocelli) but hope his offence will make up for it. Overall I am pretty happy with my team just not sure I can score enough runs to compete with some of the offensive giants of the league.
Time will tell.....

John
jet40

Lunte comes to terms

Postby DOHowser1 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:17 am

Lunte opened at .50 and that was that.

All passes and no bids. Just not sure whether I will bat him 14th or 15th.

My hitters are full and next bid slides to BobBoone.

:D
DOHowser1

J. Hiller results

Postby danielz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:35 am

open at .52
almost all passes
DO Howser .53
danielz

Hiller signs

Postby DOHowser1 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:53 am

Next pitcher Bob Ojeda - opens for 1.28
DOHowser1

Re: Lunte comes to terms

Postby BobBoone » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:48 am

[quote:099ef1f7ca="DOHowser"]Lunte opened at .50 and that was that.

All passes and no bids. Just not sure whether I will bat him 14th or 15th.

My hitters are full and next bid slides to BobBoone.

:D[/quote:099ef1f7ca]

Due to slide.

New Hitter Ski Melillo .50
BobBoone

Strategy confession

Postby PotKettleBlack » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:37 pm

I didn't really have one. This might be evidenced by the fact that I have like ten million outfielders and one guy to backup the entire infield. A lot of choices were decided because I didn't really have a feeling for the valuation of players until about 35 players through. Then, some neg'ing strategy to clear the field. Decided that is a good strategy early, but not in the later rounds.

Been a learning experience, as I wait for that final pitcher.
PotKettleBlack

Postby DHowser » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:55 pm

only carr20 needed to finish Parrish.
DHowser

Who needs a pitcher!

Postby DOHowser1 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:10 pm

Could someone, anyone, please let me know who still needs a pitcher, or better still, who is full of them.

Thanks
DOHowser1

Postby kimkrichbaum2 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:49 pm

DO,

I believe that everybody but me still needs a pitcher, although a number of folks just need 1 or 2. Check "financial statement" for more details, although that is not totally up to date.
kimkrichbaum2

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat