Another PRE-CARD Draft?? - CHAT THREAD

Postby AeroDave10 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:42 am

Jerlins,

Let me first state that I have no problem with closing this loophole. At least a few of us are keeping track of all of the draft picks, so I can let anyone know when they've reached a hitter/pitcher limit.

However, I think you overestimate the effect of closing a loophole. I have never played a team where $0.50M player made a truly significant impact. Sub-$1M players can make an impact, but those priced at the basement price are never that outstanding. If you or anyone else has some examples of a $.50M player really excelling, please post links to those teams.

(FYI - Paul Janish '09 was priced at $0.79M, not $0.50M)
AeroDave10

Postby Jerlins » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:02 am

[quote:31b0e9db5f="AeroDave10"]Jerlins,

Let me first state that I have no problem with closing this loophole. At least a few of us are keeping track of all of the draft picks, so I can let anyone know when they've reached a hitter/pitcher limit.

However, I think you overestimate the effect of closing a loophole. I have never played a team where $0.50M player made a truly significant impact. Sub-$1M players can make an impact, but those priced at the basement price are never that outstanding. If you or anyone else has some examples of a $.50M player really excelling, please post links to those teams.

(FYI - Paul Janish '09 was priced at $0.79M, not $0.50M)[/quote:31b0e9db5f]

I knew Janish's price tag was such, just putting a name out there as an example. Now.....

I never said that the .50 player will make an impact. In a $200 league they are practically useless. Which for the most part is my point. In a $200 league your 12th pitcher, or your 16/17th hitter is almost a non-existant player. So why not go out and draft that extra hitter and if it fails, well go ahead and pick up that .50 hard LH/RH or even still, that SP only pitcher who'll never pitch anyway because at $200, the rest of your staff is loaded with stars and superstars.

Anyway, the whole point of the discussion becomes moot if in fact folks know ahead of time they can't draft above the limit for a hitter or a pitcher. I can give a couple of examples of how this might work this year, but, until such players are actually selected, I don't want to name names.
Jerlins

Postby Palmtana » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:07 am

This issue came up in this same league last year. A manager drafted 13 pitchers figuring he would drop one if they all got carded. Dan's ruling at the time:

[quote:aa7023ac63="thisisdan26"]....... I specifically made that rule about HAVING to get a .50 mill player if a player drafted doesn't receive a card to create a higher risk/reward scenario...guess I didn't think it through allll the way. [b:aa7023ac63]Now we know for next year though.[/b:aa7023ac63]

Here is the ruling...if you have more than the max pitchers/hitters they will remain in the FA pool and the manager who selected that player will have the rights to the player (unless traded). Almost like a call-up in case of injury or anything like that. Not ideal but we'll have to make the best of it now.[/quote:aa7023ac63]

It sounds like Dan's intention was to close the loophole for this year. Here is the discussion:

http://forums.sportingnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=598040&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=350#comments
Palmtana

Postby Jerlins » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:10 pm

LOL, Palmtana, you are truly amazing. There is nothing you can't find. I haven't figured out if I should fear you and run away and hide, or bow down in awe at your incredible wealth of information. At this time consider me doing both. :wink:

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!
Jerlins

Postby Jerlins » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:28 pm

I had forgotten the fact that employing this "strategy" also keeps a player from being selected from another team. I love Bill (Niners) to death, but you can see his obvious intent was working the "loophole" to his advantage and admittedly so.

Either way is fine. I prefer drafting within the limits of TSN, but if it doesn't seem to be an issue, well, at least I know in advance. I've already got a few folks in mind I wouldn't risk a pick on if we had to adhere to the maximum allowable hitters/pitchers, as the consequences of doing so would be minimal.
Jerlins

Postby TefJ » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:40 pm

I'm assuming that there is no clock on the weekends. Is this a correct assumption?

I'm fine with saying that we have to draft 11 or 12 pitchers, but I think that you should be able to have .5 mil replacements if the guy you pick doesn't get a card. This encourages people to take risks, but punishes them if they don't.
TefJ

Postby AeroDave10 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:12 pm

[quote:666d2f405a="WPWangfuddle"]I'm assuming that there is no clock on the weekends. Is this a correct assumption?[/quote:666d2f405a]

Yeah. Just 9 AM - 9 PM Mon-Fri.
AeroDave10

Postby Mr Baseball World » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:51 pm

My understanding was that you could add a .50 player only to give yourself enough sp's or rp's or C......not that you replaced everyone who did not get a card.
Mr Baseball World

Postby Palmtana » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:53 pm

I'm going to have to get on the laptop to pick when my time comes. My mouse has rusted up.

[img:bca8a3620a]http://www.oldtimecomputer.com/oldtimecomputer/mouse-rusty-1.jpg[/img:bca8a3620a]
Palmtana

Postby AeroDave10 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:47 am

What did I tell you guys about picking Cleveland Indians (re: Chris Perez)

Caveat emptor!
AeroDave10

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat