One Man's Trash League: nominations complete

Our historical single season sets

positional availability

Postby GFDWARF07 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:16 pm

I know we hashed this around a couple times when we were still recruiting owners, but I am still a little fuzzy on the answer. Looking over the nominees so far, it seems that we are bound to end up in a situation where the remaining players to be drafted will not necessarily fit the drafting team's final positional needs. This will especially be true for the last few picks for at least 1 or 2 teams, I would guess.

I presume most teams will draft their superstars relatively early and thus may have limited ability to use these two slots to fill remaining positional needs. And though many of the nominated players play multiple positions, there are quite a few that are one dimensional (i.e. SS only, 1B only). Let's say I draft my first 23 players and somehow still do not have a third basement or a right fielder yet. And further, what if there are simply no players among the remaining nominee field that play those positions? I presume I will be compelled at that point to draft another player and then let HAL set my lineup and force players in that position (at a fielding proficiency of 5, as I believe it works). The lineup function will not allow us to force a player into a position that he is not rated for, but will force someone there if you leave that position open in your lineup. But who knows whom HAL might pick?

If we all have the same risk, I am fine with this outcome, as it adds an important element to our drafting plan. I just want to be sure I understand the situation before we get going. Plus, if there is only one SS left and I see another owner is short one, it may compell one of us to grab that SS (even if you have plenty already) so that owner would have to start a 5 there (almost as bad as Paul Schaal!).

Thanks - this is starting to sound more fun all the time!
GFDWARF07

Postby Sneezedoc » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:06 am

All I know is that I will not end up with Paul Schaal :D I actually remember him playing in "real" life. Never realized how horrible a fielder he was!!!
I have no idea how I will draft in this league BUT I would think holding onto my 2 "blue" chips until the end would be worthwhile. The difference between the top 12 hitters and pitchers is not that much compared to having a Paul Schaal play SS for you!!!

One option would be to allow everyone to draft their choice of a remaining 500K player for a 26th player on your team (to fill out the roster position wise if need be--everyone would have the option how to use player 26 (who is not necessarily any good as a 500K player)
Sneezedoc

Postby franky35 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:36 am

The draft will be 26 rounds, (25 players plus a stadium). I tried to change the SOM draft but the most rounds it allows me are 23 - in which case we may need to do the final 3 rounds on the message board. The superstars (1 pitcher, 1 hitter) can be taken at any time including the last 2 rounds of the draft.

Regarding the number of players, there will be exactly 25 per team - no extra players allowed. Sandy Alomar, Jake Gibbs, Rollie Fingers and other good 0.50 players will not be on anyone's team. We will probably limit teams to no more than 3 catchers. The requirements for the TSN autodraft will apply (at least 2C, 5 pitchers that can start and 10 total pitchers).

Regarding position players: there will be plenty. Thus far, we have nominated relatively few position players but there are already 13 ss to choose from: Len Boehmer, Ron Clark, Darrell Chaney, John Donaldson, Gil Garrido, Gus Gil, Cesar Gueterriz, Remy Hermoso, Leon McFadden, Paul Schaal, Gary Sutherland, Hector Torres, and Bobby Wine.

And I have only 3 words to describe this group of shortstops: quality, quality, quality.
franky35

Postby GFDWARF07 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:31 am

I e-mailed Gordie - RJ could you light a fire as well? Would be nice to avoid these long delays.....
GFDWARF07

Postby GFDWARF07 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:25 pm

So is Gordie going to play ball or not here? :? I am normally Mr. Patience, but this is starting to drag on - he made a pick in another league after he was already up here. RJ - any insight?
GFDWARF07

gordie

Postby Rjnewman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:07 am

i emailed him and im'd him. He said his computer died i offered to make his picks for him no response ,he has a blackberry.
Rjnewman

Postby GFDWARF07 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:12 am

Can we all agree to let Franky make picks (he offered earlier and I see no reason not to take this approach) in cases where we are AWOL for 24+ hours?

I guess the broader issue revolves around whether Gordie is with us or not longer term......
GFDWARF07

Postby franky35 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:11 pm

I'd be happy to make legitimate picks for Gordie using what I consider to be the generally accepted understanding of SOM badness.

The real question is whether Gordie is going to continue in the league. If not, perhaps we should pause the league and look for a replacement.
franky35

Franky go make legit picks for Gordie

Postby Rjnewman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:10 pm

He told to make them for him an hour aqo. I am on road. You can do it. Pick a very low or very high homer park for him. He is in. Dont know exactly what is slowing him up.
Rjnewman

Postby franky35 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:26 pm

Gordie's Round 2 nominations:

San Diego Stadium (I assume he knows that we cannot draft the stadium we nominate)

Jack Billingham (rp)
Ron Woods
Bill White

I've never seen any of these players in any 69 league, although Billingham went on to a decent career with the Reds, and, of course, Ronnie Wood is a member of the Hall of Fame.
franky35

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: 1969, 1986, 1999