Theme League: Another Man's Treasure: Draft Thread

Our historical single season sets

Postby AllStarInc » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:52 am

Ok, got it done. I think he's fine with Brinkman. I would prefer Leo, but that's just me!
AllStarInc

Postby franky35 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:10 pm

Dan L, that is a very nice offer. I'm sure Dan (gfdwarf) has other things on his mind. One way to fix it is to trade Cardenas for Brinkman, but if you don't want Brinkman, I'm not sure what we could do at this point.

to the league:
If you don't already have a ss, the situation is looking pretty grim at this point. Aparicio is a superstar and Grover is the only one who might pick him up at this point. Perhaps Fred and Mickey Stanley are the best remaining options.

Mickey Stanley was, of course, a gold glove centerfielder. Here is the Wikipedia entry on Mickey Stanley at short:

With the American League pennant clinched and two weeks left in the '68 season, manager Mayo Smith asked Stanley to play the last nine games of the regular season at shortstop, the first time he had ever played the position. This was in preparation for the World Series, in which Smith planned to replace weak-hitting regular shortstop Ray Oyler (who was hitting a paltry .135 at the time) in favor of Stanley's superior bat. Stanley did a decent job, committing two errors in 34 chances, and became the starting shortstop for the entire 1968 World Series. Oyler did not have an official at-bat in the Series and appeared in only four games as a defensive replacement -- the four games the Tigers needed to win the series. Stanley made two errors in the seven-game series, neither of which led to a run. He did not have a stellar series at the plate, hitting .214, but he did triple and score two runs in a pivotal Game 5 comeback win for the Tigers.

In its "The End of the Century" series, ESPN rated Smith's decision to move Stanley to shortstop for the 1968 World Series as one of the 10 greatest coaching decisions of the 20th century.

Stanley returned to play 59 games at shortstop the next year, after Oyler was allowed to be drafted by the expansion Seattle Pilots. However, the Stanley-at-short experiment did not work long-term, and Detroit finished the 1969 season 19 games out of first. Stanley's batting average also dropped to .235. It recovered when he was returned primarily to the outfield for the remainder of his career.
franky35

Postby AllStarInc » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:47 pm

That decision to play Stanley at SS was mostly based on the fact that Al Kaline had recovered (mostly) from an injury allowing the Tigers to play Jim Northrup in CF instead of RF where he had been playing while Kaline was hurt.

When the Tigers got a lead in the Series they would insert Oyler in defensively for Horton and slid Northrup to LF and Stanley back to CF.
AllStarInc

Postby GFDWARF07 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:45 pm

ldan - that is a very generous offer and as a former Twin, Leo is one of my favs. Quite honestly I would have picked him instead but I feel bad as the Powell thing was my oversight, though yes I have been distracted.

The GREAT news is that we just got home with Norah! So washing hands, stepping lightly and praying not to have any relapse. She is still on all her meds, but it is great to have her home.

Again, thanks to all for your concern and support! I am honored to be playing with you all!
GFDWARF07

Postby dlarkins » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:49 pm

trade of cardenas for brinkman has been accepted i m not sure if someone must approve to finalize on site

great to hear your child is home!
dlarkins

Postby Sneezedoc » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:03 pm

Silly question...If I remember correctly, we can NOT draft anyone we picked. It is easy in the beginning but I can't honestly remember who I picked in the 1st couple of rounds (I guess I would have to look back on the drafting thread). Is there a compiled list anywhere for each person?
Sneeze
Sneezedoc

Postby dlarkins » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:06 pm

yes nominated player thread has all players by manager
dlarkins

Postby dlarkins » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:52 pm

boog powell drop

i accidntally chose boog powell i thought i had removed him from proxies
can my drop be approved please
thanks

dan
dlarkins