When someone doesn't perform . . .

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

When someone doesn't perform . . .

Postby Ragnarokpc » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:58 am

. . . what do you do?

How long do you wait?

My 80's team sits at 12-24. Jack Clark has a .640 OPS. Darrell Evans is .767. I expect guys like Snyder to have a bad card, or Roenicke, whom I just picked up. But Clark's WORST card is .816. I'm in Tiger Stadium, his power numbers should be fine. But with 136 PAs, he's hitting .181 . . . I dunno what to do. My pitching needs work as well, but that is kind of to be expected. I don't expect someone with the cost and consistency of Clark to be struggling. Evans . . . meh. I thought he would do better in Tiger Stadium but he does have some poor cards.

My brother has Jim Rice . . . 101 PAs, he's hitting .173 for an OPS of .518. More than two hundred points lower than his worst card? He's in Cleveland, but still . . . what do you do when you have guys that are either consistent, or you know what their card is, but continue to underperform? I've had a Howard Johnson with a good season that couldn't cross the Mendoza line after more than 400 ABs. So . . . I'm kind of stuck. Argh.
Ragnarokpc

Postby YountFan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:33 am

Clark is looking bad due to the low BP singles in Tiger. I normally does not hit for avg. Check he walk totals. If he is walking keep him and hit him 2nd.

Evans may need to go, but .767 OPS is not bad.

Also that bad Rice card is REALLY bad, tell your bro to seek other options. McReynolds is out there most of the time.

Post a link to your team and you'll get more comments. [go to the team stats page and click on your team. then copy and past URL]

[quote:8a5ca21fc4]you know what their card is, but continue to underperform[/quote:8a5ca21fc4] The card is the card. If it is a good card you have to keep it. A good card can get bad rolls and a bad card can gte good rolls, but good is still good and bad is still bad.
YountFan

Postby Ragnarokpc » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:42 pm

Well, here's the team I'm talking about in this post . . .

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/80s/team/team_other.html?user_id=181582

I have another team running atm but they are doing mostly alright for now.

Clark has 20 walks, so not bad. But I'm having a torrid season by Brett being wasted by other guys not producing, and my pitching has been pretty awful. Hurst pitched a good game last night, but Langston has been hammered and I'm not likely to give him as much of a chance as I did Bryn Smith and Bud Black.
Ragnarokpc

Postby coyote303 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:08 pm

Just echoing what YountFan said. If you have a good card (either because the player has no bad cards or you know which year you have), keep it.

Cards will underperform--sometimes badly. However, they have no memory. A card has just a good of chance of coming through regardless if it has been "slumping" or if you are on your way to the triple crown with it.

In fact, if I have a good card that is badly underperforming, I consider that a good sign for the future. [u:691b773c9c]All other things being equal[/u:691b773c9c], you can expect better results for that card and for your team in upcoming games. There are no guarantees, of course, but the odds actually favor improvement!
coyote303

Postby voovits » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:14 pm

[quote:33c8b54631="YountFan"]Clark is looking bad due to the low BP singles in Tiger. Check he walk totals. If he is walking keep him and hit him 2nd.[/quote:33c8b54631]

What he said...

Seriously, if you have Dykstra batting first and Clark batting second, you have a good 1-2 combo, and have a good chance of runners being on base for Brett to get his RBIs. The only Clark card I don't like is his 88 card. Based on the L/R splits, my initial thought would be either 88 or 89. I'd favor 89 due to the triples, but I'd still keep a close eye on the numbers moving forward.

I'm not a fan of Evans, so my initial instinct is to drop him, but he is performing respectably so far, so you may want to hold on to him as well for now.

I'm also not a Langston fan at all. I would immediately look for a replacement for him if it were my team.
voovits

Postby Ragnarokpc » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:35 pm

Thanks for your input. I have had poor luck with Evans before, but thought he would do well in Tiger Stadium. I was expecting a little better (as a guideline I view .800 OPS as my line between good and bad, give or take). I'll give Clark a shot batting #2, hopefully he hits a little better and improves his OBP.

I'm glad no one said anything about Snyder . . . but he'll have to go too if he can't improve. One of these days I'll get a good year for him.

As for Langston, I know he is overpriced but was hoping his strikeouts and low BP HRs would be helpful. Like I said, he has a bit of a short leash - one or two more starts for him to improve.

Thanks again for all your input, it helps to have some people to talk before it drives me even more insane.
Ragnarokpc

Postby YountFan » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:33 am

I would drop Oquendo for a .75m backup. You are wasting cash. Or maybe play Jose and drop Whie, but White's power is nice at Tiger.

drop Langston, M. for Browning T, Black B (or similar)

drop Roenicke, G. for Oglivie B

consider dropping Clark J for Clark W and move Evans D to DH (and get Castillo, or the like to play vs LHP). If you do this drop Roenicke, G. for Hayes V. and bat Von 2nd. If you dont like Evans the get Bonilla who has not bad card vs RHP.

You could also cash in Synder for Von Hayes

drop Gedman for a cheap backup and play Boone full time

Pick up UL Washington to play SS vs LHP
YountFan

Sometimes there's a pleasant surprise

Postby Larryrickenbacker » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:36 pm

Howdy,

While yours truly has experience with underperforming cards, I've occaisionally had the opposite: Once I picked up Joe Rudi from the FA pool. Rudi proceeded to tear [i:cfad079702]up[/i:cfad079702] righty pitching and do fairly well against lefties for 100 ABs or so! I lucked into Rudi's best card-'74.
He hit 37 doubles* in the Astrodome for my '70s squad. OPS was only .719, but remember the home park. I think pure luck plays a part in SOM. YMMV.

* And 10 HRs, 66 RBIs, with 532 AB. Also Rudi is a "1" in LF; a plus which is impossible to quantify, although LF doesn't get that many chances.
Last edited by Larryrickenbacker on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larryrickenbacker

Postby The Senators » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:55 pm

Very true Larryrickenbacker...We all like to whine about the underperformers but I once had Eddie Brinkman hit double figures in homeruns and drive in 90 runs from the 8th and 9th spots in the order.
Moreso than underperformers, the one thing that bothers me are the injuries. I never seem to learn my lesson with Roberto Clemente, but seldom does he ever play in as many as 140 games and yet I keep drafting him. His numbers are good when he's in there, the trouble is keeping him in the lineup.
The Senators

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s