Favorite 70s SS: Defense vs. Hitting..or compromise?

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Favorite 70s SS: Defense vs. Hitting..or compromise?

Postby Larryrickenbacker » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:07 am

Howdy,

The topic is 70s SSs. Do you favor a "1" over all other considerations? After all, SS gets more defensive chances than any other position. So would you chose Metzger (An anemic hitting "1") over a Speier, Yount or DeJesus? (all "2"s who have some pop in thier bats).
Please list your favorites and why. Usually I'm a Metzger man, but have been tempted to try a Chris Speier or a "hitting" "2" at SS. Chime in!
Larryrickenbacker

Postby durantjerry » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:47 am

I like a powerful lineup, but I have used Metzger a lot. The problem with the good hitting SS's is they aren't really good relative to other positions and they can easily be waiver wire material. I would take Yount's good card any day over Metzger as I have had him approach 100 extra base hits, but Yount will be cut as often as not(or maybe more). That being said, I don't want two dead spots in my order.
durantjerry

Postby The Senators » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:23 am

I have used Metzger alot too, hoping that I get the season where he hits all the triples because when you factor the extra base hits in with the defense, he is actually a pretty good value. Belanger is way too much and Burleson and Bowa are kind of so-so too for the price. I guess if you have enough offense throughout the lineup I'll take a cheap Brinkman and bunt every time up and hope...
The Senators

Metzger requres high draft pick..

Postby Larryrickenbacker » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:39 pm

Howdy,

One negative about Metzger is that he'll usually require a fairly high draft pick #. He's usually gone by the 4th round. Do you want to use a 3rd or 4th round draft spot for Metzger, when you can simply get Brinkman for minimum wage and draft him 7th?
Larryrickenbacker

Postby wesleyeugeneclark » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:46 pm

I have had some luck with Brinkman. If you get the right season, Kessinger is a really good bargain. Also, as cheaper option, Foli has a decent season that makes him valuable as well. I have never had any luck with Concepcion. Seems to never hit for me. I always feel that if I am in a dh league that I can go cheap and gamble on a Brinkman/Foli. If it is a non dh league, I really hate having two dead spots in the lineup.
wesleyeugeneclark

Postby FAaron » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:56 pm

I usually go with Metzger, or a cheap 2 like Brinkman, Duffy or Dent. The 1 shortstops other than Metzger are too pricey, with Burleson/Belanger having some rotten hitting seasons, Concepcion not worth the over $5 million salary and Bowa really hit-or-miss. As for the other 2 shortstops (Campy, Speier, Yount, Templeton), they also are not guaranteed of having a good hitting season, so they may cost you twice as much as Patek, but hit about an average Patek season.
FAaron

Postby LMBombers » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:21 pm

I'm going to go against the crowd and say I rarely have used Metzger. He is a vertual guaranteed out. When you figure in all the times he is simply a ground out vs a replacement player in his lineup spot that actually reduces his defensive value.

I prefer Templeton, Yount or Burleson. Templeton has 4 cards where he hit .291 or better. His "bad" card he still hit .280. Metzger has only one card over .235 and that is only .250. Templeton is also a better base runner and is a SB threat as well.

Burleson gives almost as good defense as Metzger and has a 40% chance of having a .290 card which would actually add something to the lineup.

Yount has 3 cards of excellent offensive contrubutions with one of those being a very big card.

I have not had much luck with Bowa, Dejesus, Aparicio or Campaneris. Kessinger can be allright on occasion.

How many of you Metzger guys are using Rey Ordonez in the 90s game? Virtually the same player.
LMBombers

Postby pwootten » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Maury Wills! He even manages my teams!
pwootten

Postby durantjerry » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:15 pm

I actually won 93 games in a $140 League with Ordonez playing vs rhp's. Have tried to draft him lately, but have not gotten him.

[url]http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=290239[/url]

92 Wins with Ordonez in a $100 League
[url]http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/team/team_other.html?user_id=289235[/url]

92 Win Brinkman team:

[url]http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/70s/team/team_other.html?user_id=814[/url]

110 Win Metzger team in a no-dh:

[url]http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/70s/team/team_other.html?user_id=22924[/url]
90 Wins with Metzger twice:
[url]http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/70s/team/team_other.html?user_id=17564[/url]

[url]http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/70s/team/team_other.html?user_id=44785[/url]
Last edited by durantjerry on Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
durantjerry

Templeton vs. Metzger

Postby Larryrickenbacker » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:21 pm

Howdy,

LMBombers: So you'll take Templeton and his errors (2e44) vs. Metzger and his 1e16? Maybe it evens out, because Metzger [i:2a0b1e89e7]is[/i:2a0b1e89e7] a virtual instant out. Templeton can make good contributions at the plate..interesting thread, if I say so myself. Keep 'em comin, ya'll.
Larryrickenbacker

Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s