3. gorshar
4. hackra

maybe in summer:
1. Jet
2. pkb
kimkrichbaum2

Postby kimkrichbaum2 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:02 pm

On Gorshar's plan -

I think you have some good points about the importance of being in on the quality players - and about the end of the auction dragging. My bottom line is that I do not want an auction that goes any longer than what we have, and I do not want the structure to be so complex that it drives people away or causes problems. I have an idea that could address both my and gorshar's concerns, but it is somewhat complex, and i realize I do not have the time at this time of year to commish it, so my question is, with the kind of plan we are talking about, is Rick willing to still commish (I think you do a great job) or is gorshar willing to take that over?, I am willing to help when I can.

Now for a plan,
We put up the first 50 players (30 hitters and 20 pitchers) for open auction, 3 hitters and 2 pitchers at a time in order of expense. When you win a player, you simply put out the next hitter or pitcher (depending on which type you just won) til we award the first 50. The opening bid on a player is half his salary, and the first bid is considered neutral, if the no one bids above that, the player is saved for the hybrid auction phase. (Any player that does not go for half his salary, is not important enough to folks to worry about open auction).
Minimum raises in open auction are .25 (this would be a BIG time saver). Any time a bid has not been raised in 24 hours, that player is awarded to the highest bidder.
Then for the next 150 players we do hybrid auction as we have been doing, with an open auction with anyone within 10% of the highest bidder, and winners choosing the next player and the opening bid..
Then for the last 112 players (+stadiums, I think with a smaller pool we should draft stadiums) we have a draft. The order for the draft is set up at this time, it will just have to be set up once. The owner with the most cash left drafts first, you subtract .75 from their cash total, again, the owner with most cash drafts next (could even be the same owner) as long as they still have .75 in their cash left. When all owners' cash left is under .75, have a draft order with the player with the most left drafting and everyone else going in sequence. Repeat that sequence until owner's are full, once full they drop off the draft order.
This will reward owners with more money left at the end of the draft. Which will be very important in giving consequences for owners who spend all their money early. Setting the draft order will be a little complex, but will only have to be done once by one person (this I would be willing to do). and then we just draft from the list. If anyone does not make their draft pick for 24 hours, they can be skipped.

This is just one proposal, and of course is open to tweaks and other ideas
kimkrichbaum2

Postby kimkrichbaum2 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:53 pm

A list of who is ready for an auction:

Ready now:
1. litangel
2. miduar
3. gorshar
4. hackra

maybe in summer:
1. Jet
2. pkb

No to pre WWII
1. Carr
kimkrichbaum2

Postby JOSEPHKENDALL » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:17 pm

Ready now:
1. litangel
2. miduar
3. gorshar
4. hackra
5. joekendall (do not prefer a subset of ATG and I like our current draft rules)

maybe in summer:
1. Jet
2. pkb

No to pre WWII
1. Carr
JOSEPHKENDALL

Postby gorshar » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:59 pm

Just to complicate things further...

I have an idea that would greatly increase the speed of closed auctions but unless someone has a better idea it would require a 13th non-team owning participant.

You draft an entire team, conforming to SOM draft rules, placing your own value to each player following the usual auction $80/$200 rules. You PM your draft to the 13th participant who reviews the results and posts them after all teams have been received. Highest bidder for each player wins the player. Then a second round to fill the holes, and so on, and so on until the teams are full.

I reckon this would take 2-3 weeks.
gorshar

Postby DOHowser1 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:32 pm

[quote:a8f63d5b17="gorshar"]Just to complicate things further...

I have an idea that would greatly increase the speed of closed auctions but unless someone has a better idea it would require a 13th non-team owning participant.

You draft an entire team, conforming to SOM draft rules, placing your own value to each player following the usual auction $80/$200 rules. You PM your draft to the 13th participant who reviews the results and posts them after all teams have been received. Highest bidder for each player wins the player. Then a second round to fill the holes, and so on, and so on until the teams are full.

I reckon this would take 2-3 weeks.[/quote:a8f63d5b17]

Very Interesting!
DOHowser1

Postby kimkrichbaum2 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:59 pm

Ready now:
1. litangel
2. miduar
3. gorshar
4. hackra
5. joekendall (do not prefer a subset of ATG and I like our current draft rules)
6. Ironwill, sentiments seem same as Joekendall

maybe in summer:
1. Jet
2. pkb

No to pre WWII
1. Carr
2. DO Howser, and needs at least a month
kimkrichbaum2

Postby hackra » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:57 pm

since there are a couple of people who prefer to avoid a deadball league, if we proceed that way we will need to recruit new managers.

As a intermediate step, we could go forward with a Post WW2 subset auction. It might cut the player pool in half, and the subset is already set up by BernieH as a league option (although we would need to exclude the NeL players or actively decide to include them or some of them such as Satchel Paige who did pitch post WW2 in the majors...the TSN subset defaults them to be included).

Of the subsets discussed, I would be willing to participate regardless, but my favorite players are the ones from times past.

..and just a comment on litangel's proposal from 1/23. I think you may want to modify the "first 50" to include some RP rather than only the top $ pitchers in that scenario if we go that way.

Gorshars big bang auction sounds very interesting also...although MUCH less predictable methinks :twisted:
hackra

Postby PotKettleBlack » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Worked about a 7. For some reason, this format (or my increased level of comfort / laxness) led to more illegal bid issues.

2- Closed auction, second price auction as discussed in the third auction league thread... I win, but I pay the price of the second highest bidder.

3- Was an interesting experiment. Not feeling the need to repeat it.

4/5- Partial set might prove interesting. Maybe Post+EXP or Pre-Post-EXP. Or Post+EXP+NeL.

Pretty firmly in the would have to wait until summer, and maybe wouldn't be up for it then.
PotKettleBlack

Postby danielz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:55 pm

Ready now:
1. litangel
2. miduar
3. gorshar
4. hackra
5.danielz
6. joekendall (do not prefer a subset of ATG and I like our current draft rules)
7. Ironwill, sentiments seem same as Joekendall

maybe in summer:
1. Jet
2. pkb

No to pre WWII
1. Carr
2. DO Howser, and needs at least a month
danielz

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat