Favorite 70s SS: Defense vs. Hitting..or compromise?

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Postby ALANVON BEHREN » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:01 am

Little Looie Aparicio ($2.96M 2e20) is hitting .322 (48 for 149) for one of my teams so far. He does have 6 errors in 36 games already, but I like that avg hitting in the no. 2 hole.

I had one team that went to the 7th game of the World Series and Ivan DeJesus was the SS. He hit .243 and made 22 errors. After the season ended, it had "'80" after DeJesus's name:

Dejesus, Ivan '80

What does this mean? Does this mean that this is what card was used for him this season?
ALANVON BEHREN

Postby franky35 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:22 am

I was going to keep the best SS a secret, but I can't stand it anymore. Bowa by a mile. All his years are the same except one year he hits lefties especially well. He is the best fielder in the game and you never have to cut him because - all his years are the same. He steals, always hits decently for average, and runs great. His defense can't be beat and he doesn't get injured. In the scheme of things, his salary is quite low, especially since you never need to cut him since his years are all the same.

It kind of bothers me that Bowa is the best SS in this game since Concepcion was clearly the best SS of the 70s and should probably squeak into the Hall of Fame for his pioneering play on astroturf. In the Strat 70s game, Concepcion has a couple very good years that are worth his high salary. Bert Campenaris has one excellent season; same for Yount. So, you can go fishing for one of those players with one or two good years. Or, you can go with Bowa. Did I mention that all his years are the same?

Now, please forget that I mentioned Bowa since I always draft him.
franky35

Postby LMBombers » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:51 am

[quote:68f1a4199e="alanv25"]After the season ended, it had "'80" after DeJesus's name:

Dejesus, Ivan '80

What does this mean? Does this mean that this is what card was used for him this season?[/quote:68f1a4199e]

Yes, this is the card reveal.
LMBombers

Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s