Injury questions: length of INJ, 90s set INJ reveals

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

Injury questions: length of INJ, 90s set INJ reveals

Postby The Conndor » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:17 pm

Hey all, just a couple of quick queries about injuries:

1) How specifically does the length of an injury bear on what card the player is on?

For example, my 90's team just got hit with a Tom Goodwin 15G injury. The cards tell me that he must be on 95, 96, or 98 year (which I kind of knew already). However, since this is a 15 game injury, does that mean: I can eliminate 98 season, since he played in more than 150 games, and also does this mean that it is more likely to be 95, since he played in 133 games that year versus 143 in 96?

2) Is it just me, or is it much harder to figure out an injury in the 90's set just based on the type of injury?

My past experience with 70s and 80s sets has taught me that, with most player injuries, you can eliminate 1 or 2 years simply based on the play a guy is injured on (for example, Tom Goodwin was hit by a pitch against a righty; only 95, 96, and 98 meet that criterion). However, in my first 90's season, I have already run into 3 different situations where a player has exactly the same injury play on all 5 cards, including 1 (Brian Giles) where that occurs against both righty AND lefty pitchers (in other words, Giles will always get hurt via HBP, and you will NEVER be able to narrow down what card he is on by the type of injury). Am I just having bad luck with this phenomenon, or was the 90s set adjusted to make INJ reveals more difficult?

As always, thanks in advance for feedback and discussion.
The Conndor

Postby LMBombers » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:24 pm

If a player gets a 4 game injury or longer it must come from a card with less than 600 PA (AB+BB) or for a pitcher, less than 200 IP. Goodwin's 5 possible card years do not have one with 600 or more PA so a 15 G injury for him does not eliminate any possible cards by itself.

The HBP vs RHP eliminates 99 and 00 so you have one of his best 3 cards!

Yes it does seem that many cards have an injury on a HBP result in the 90's game. The 80's game seemed to have lots of injuries on a lomax result. The 70's game as the most variety in the injury result making it the easiest of the 3 mystery card games to figure out the card year from an injury.
LMBombers

Postby The Conndor » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:50 pm

Thanks LM... I always seem to forget that 600 plate appearances rule.

As for the lomax/HBP phenomenon... you are right about HBP seeming to be the injury of the 90s set. What seems odd to me is that I don't remember many, if any, players who had all lomax injuries... usually at least 1 season was something different. Perhaps I am wrong about that.
The Conndor

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s