Major League Keeper League

Available Players List

Postby TefJ » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:12 pm

The problem with creating an available players list is that any player with even one ML AB or pitching appearance is eligible. I'm not sure where to get a list of such players.
TefJ

Re: Available Players List

Postby thisisdan26 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:29 pm

[quote:1d409467b2="WPWangfuddle"]The problem with creating an available players list is that any player with even one ML AB or pitching appearance is eligible. I'm not sure where to get a list of such players.[/quote:1d409467b2]

Agreed.

Something easy to do is...if your researching players and you come across one who you think may be available...pull up the excel doc...hit control F...and then type in the last name of the player and it'll search sheet for the name.
thisisdan26

Postby blsmith7 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:36 pm

[quote:1b2d078f6f]The problem with creating an available players list is that any player with even one ML AB or pitching appearance is eligible. I'm not sure where to get a list of such players.[/quote:1b2d078f6f]

I know they can be done because I've already had them in two other keeper league drafts currently ongoing. I know it takes tremendous effort to do, but that is why I was asking KD, as I'm sure he has the capability. The time, however, is the question.
blsmith7

Postby Roscodog » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:31 pm

I just did an available hitters list for another keeper league I'm in. The difference is that only players with SOM cards are eligable so it made it a little easier. I don't have time to do it again, but if someone does it would be easier than doing all available players. If someone wants to draft somebody that doesn't have a card then that would be up to them to research.
Roscodog

Postby kaviksdad » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:30 pm

I'm trying to get a list put together, but like Smitty says - it's a b*itch!

I hope to have something late tonight or early tomorrow, but I would suggest that you all cover your bases and do some checking on your own, just to be safe.

Thanks for the responses. I'd point out that on the roster update is a "FAQ" tab that has answers to most any question you have about this keeper and the rules. There are always special circumstances, but for the most part all the answers are in there too.

In the Moustakas case, he was drafted in 2009 and must either be promoted or released (he can be traded, but the acquiring owner will have to promote or release).

The same holds true for any prospect drafted in the spring/summer of 2009. They either must be promoted or released, if not already done so.

Those prospects drafted last year can be promoted or released, but DO NOT HAVE TO BE. They still have one more year of prospect status.
kaviksdad

Postby bbasebrawl » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:32 pm

[quote:77d4cac351="kaviksdad"]I'm trying to get a list put together, but like Smitty says - it's a b*itch!

In the Moustakas case, he was drafted in 2009 and must either be promoted or released (he can be traded, but the acquiring owner will have to promote or release).

[/quote:77d4cac351]

Since Moustakas is no longer a prospect and can't be carried as such I will need to drop another player so I will drop Schafer
bbasebrawl

Postby bbasebrawl » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:39 pm

[quote:c163ccd977="WPWangfuddle"]The problem with creating an available players list is that any player with even one ML AB or pitching appearance is eligible. I'm not sure where to get a list of such players.[/quote:c163ccd977]

[quote:c163ccd977="thisisray"]Initial Draft:
1) The initial draft is a 41 round live draft. Rounds 1 through 40 are for players; Round 41 is for the stadium.
2) Only those players who were issued SOM cards this year and appear on TSN"s website are eligible for the initial draft.
3) The initial draft is serpentine; all subsequent Free Agent drafts are non-serpentine based upon the previous season's regular season records. Draft picks are tradeable.
weekends will not have a clock.
:D[/quote:c163ccd977]

According to the rules above, a player must have been issued an SOM Card for the year to be eligible to be drafted, not one at bat as stated
by WP.
bbasebrawl

Postby kaviksdad » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:47 pm

Got it - thanks.

Have fixed the draft page to show Aray's pick.

I've found the easiest way to come up with a reasonable "available players" list is this:

1 - Download an excel copy of last year's MLB stats. (I have one if anyone needs it)
2 - Remove all the stats - leaving only the names of those players that were in MLB last year. Sort those names alphabetically and leave them in a single column (column B) on your spreadsheet
3 - Download an excel copy of the SOM/TSN online players that received cards this year. (I have that too)
4 - Remove all those stats - same as with the MLB stats - sort the names alphabetically and paste into another column on the spreadsheet. (column C)
5 - Take all the players that are currently on rosters (from my update), sort them alphabetically and post them in a 3rd column in the spreadsheet. (Column A)
6 - Match up the names in all 3 columns so that each row contains the same player's name in each column. (Aardsma should be the first name in each column for the pitchers, for example)
7 - Then simply remove the names of those players who show up in all 3 columns. They're already taken - the rest should be available.

You'd need to do one for hitters and one for pitchers.
kaviksdad

Postby thisisdan26 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:50 pm

[quote:d4d954afbd="bbasebrawl"][quote:d4d954afbd="WPWangfuddle"]The problem with creating an available players list is that any player with even one ML AB or pitching appearance is eligible. I'm not sure where to get a list of such players.[/quote:d4d954afbd]

[quote:d4d954afbd="thisisray"]Initial Draft:
1) The initial draft is a 41 round live draft. Rounds 1 through 40 are for players; Round 41 is for the stadium.
2) Only those players who were issued SOM cards this year and appear on TSN"s website are eligible for the initial draft.
3) The initial draft is serpentine; all subsequent Free Agent drafts are non-serpentine based upon the previous season's regular season records. Draft picks are tradeable.
weekends will not have a clock.
:D[/quote:d4d954afbd]

According to the rules above, a player must have been issued an SOM Card for the year to be eligible to be drafted, not one at bat as stated
by WP.[/quote:d4d954afbd]

Those are the rules for the Initial Player Draft:

Here are the Rules that apply:

[quote:d4d954afbd="thisisray"]

Annual Spring Free Agent drafts:
1) A non-serpentine free agent draft of at least 10, and up to 15 rounds, will be held each year shortly after TSN/SOM cards are released. Draft order is determined by cumulative win/loss records. Worst to first, NFL style.
2) All owners must drop enough players to bring their rosters to a maximum of 30 players allowing for 10 draft picks; Owenrs can drop below 30 players, but must not have less than 25 prior to the draft.
3) Player drops must be announce prior to the beginning of the Free Agent draft.
4) All owners must have a full 40 man roster upon completion of the annual Spring Free Agent draft.
5) There is no clock for Round 1 of each Annual Free Agent draft. All subsequent rounds will operate with a 3 hour clock.

[/quote:d4d954afbd]

Although it doesn't say anything about player eligibility
thisisdan26

Postby kaviksdad » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:52 pm

No, you're wrong Bbasebrawl (we have this problem every year).

[b:ce4a675714]ANYONE[/b:ce4a675714] with an at bat or a pitch thrown in MLB regular season competition, and who is not already on another managers roster, is eligible for the spring free agent draft.

This is how it's been run in every free agent draft except for the initial one that began the league.

Every year someone brings up that the rules are unclear - every year I vow to clean up the language - and every year I forget to do it. I'll get to it this year - promise!

Also, for those of you that wish to relive through last's years "eligible player" discussion, it begins on page 28 of this thread, 2009's discussion starts on page 13.
Last edited by kaviksdad on Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaviksdad

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat