General Managers Keeper League

Postby cirills » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:42 am

KD,

Segura was the guy I was struggling with on the Banuelos pick.

I knew Banuelos would be taken now, so I gambled that Segura would slip through to the 3rd round.

Oops. :oops: :(
cirills

Postby superflymacdaddyjuice » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:26 pm

sadly, this post had moved to last on the first page.

:cry:
superflymacdaddyjuice

Postby superflymacdaddyjuice » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:48 pm

The more I play strat the more i don't pay attention to the mlb teams so much as how my strat players are doing. there are two caveats here. First, i love to watch the yankees lose. secondly, when i had a favorite team, I liked Boston. I generally regard theo epstein as excellent at his job. I will never for the life of me understand why he put up for lackey. it seemed to me that they beat lackey up in the play offs for three years straight. why would you then go get that guy? I was never that fascinated with him.
superflymacdaddyjuice

Postby cirills » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:31 pm

I'm glad you mentioned this Smoke because that's become an ever increasing frustration for me. The more I've invested myself into SOM the more detached I've become from being fan. I'm currently wrestling with myself on the issue and can't say I'm entirely certain how it will turn out. I do know that I have an online subscription to both the NY Post and The New York Daily News and that has helped as has my subscription to ML At Bat 11 and being able to listen to games as a fan. But like when I was addicted to Fantasy Football, I find myself cringing when one of my own players gets hurt, hammered or goes hitless as opposed to how my Mets do. Or that I am happy if Halladay gets hammered whn in actuality I want to embrace the quality of his pitching. I didn't like that during the football season and I'm starting to not like it in baseball as well. I miss being a fan. :cry:
cirills

trade to announce

Postby qksilver69 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:19 pm

Palmtana gets Jeffress, K Jansen (prospect), my 4th Rnd FA pick next year.

I get Rafael Soriano. Bob to confirm.
qksilver69

Postby Palmtana » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:43 pm

Confirmed.
Palmtana

Postby Cubit » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:02 pm

[quote:09f103ec02="sandlotshrink"]I'm glad you mentioned this Smoke because that's become an ever increasing frustration for me. The more I've invested myself into SOM the more detached I've become from being fan. I'm currently wrestling with myself on the issue and can't say I'm entirely certain how it will turn out. I do know that I have an online subscription to both the NY Post and The New York Daily News and that has helped as has my subscription to ML At Bat 11 and being able to listen to games as a fan. But like when I was addicted to Fantasy Football, I find myself cringing when one of my own players gets hurt, hammered or goes hitless as opposed to how my Mets do. Or that I am happy if Halladay gets hammered whn in actuality I want to embrace the quality of his pitching. I didn't like that during the football season and I'm starting to not like it in baseball as well. I miss being a fan. :cry:[/quote:09f103ec02]

Sandy and Smokey, too, I understand your feelings here. For me, baseball is the beautiful game-- though I love world class football in Europe just to see the skill and 'space awareness' of the greatest players-- but there are definitely moments when SOMO aka Strat can cause me to cringe when I should cheer. I am still a Boston fan, and have been one for so long that I've been through all the bad years as well as the recent good ones-- I even remember Frank Malzone and Pete Runnels' Batting crowns, while for a time Dick Stuart was my favorite player before Dick Radatz came up.

Naturally I grimaced this year and watched all the pitchers, including Buchholtz blow up at the beginning of the year and all the hitters seem to have decided to forget their trade, but I believed then, that things would turn around, and seeing the evidence of that now, I'm actually cautiously optimistic that over what Jim Brosnan once called "The Long Season," they'll be there at the end, so I still feel like a fan.

BUT Strat, and any statistically based game, introduces a bizarre element with a kind of time travel, since we have Past performance in front of us on the card, while we are playing a new season against teams composed of players who earned their stats in the past, while we are looking ahead to the future, and watching "our" players play out the current season just to get us to the next "Set". I feel like a chrononaut at times...

Thank you guys for getting me thinking. :? I feel a little like Lucy in "Peanuts" when after Charlie Brown told her he had "become aware of" his tongue and we have several frames of her poking her tongue into the corners of her mouth she declares, "I HATE YOU CHARLIE BROWN!"

:roll:
Cubit

Postby kaviksdad » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:44 pm

[quote:6095c7e291="sandlotshrink"]I'm glad you mentioned this Smoke because that's become an ever increasing frustration for me. The more I've invested myself into SOM the more detached I've become from being fan. I'm currently wrestling with myself on the issue and can't say I'm entirely certain how it will turn out. I do know that I have an online subscription to both the NY Post and The New York Daily News and that has helped as has my subscription to ML At Bat 11 and being able to listen to games as a fan. But like when I was addicted to Fantasy Football, I find myself cringing when one of my own players gets hurt, hammered or goes hitless as opposed to how my Mets do. Or that I am happy if Halladay gets hammered whn in actuality I want to embrace the quality of his pitching. I didn't like that during the football season and I'm starting to not like it in baseball as well. I miss being a fan. :cry:[/quote:6095c7e291]

I think I share most of the feeling as well. I find I'll be watching a Mariner game and wonder about the lineup - why the manager is playing a 4-range at short, why he's pitching a LH against an all RH lineup that crushes lefties...you know, that sort of thing. In a way it helps with my knowledge of the game, but adds that "fantasy" aspect that has no place in real life. And as a result I too find I'm watching less, going to games less, and reading the box scores less. I resolved to correct that this year - but can't find the time.

If I was Bill Gates-rich I think I'd buy a clone...
kaviksdad

Looking for a minor piece

Postby kaviksdad » Tue May 10, 2011 11:21 am

I need a utility infield type that's rated at all 3 inf positions - 2B/SS/3B

Someone like a Clint Barmes, Macier Izturis, or Jamey Carroll - average or better defensively in all 3 positions. Doesn't have to be someone with good stats for next year - just need the roster flexability.

I can offer back Alexi Casilla (missing the 3B rating) among others
kaviksdad

Postby cirills » Tue May 10, 2011 3:15 pm

[quote:b593e6009e]Someone like a Clint Barmes, Macier Izturis, or [b:b593e6009e][color=darkred:b593e6009e]Jamey Carroll[/color:b593e6009e][/b:b593e6009e][/quote:b593e6009e]

Unfortunately for an owner with Utley's and Tulo's injury cards, Carroll becomes more important to me than anyone else I'd imagine! :o
cirills

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat