Major League Keeper League

Postby thisisdan26 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:01 pm

Thank you Rosco
thisisdan26

Postby TefJ » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:57 am

Congrats, Dan, you're team is quite the Juggernaut this year.
TefJ

Postby Roscodog » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:43 am

Any thought to when we may start the supp draft, no real rush, just curious?
Roscodog

Postby peterdouglas38 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:08 pm

Yeah, no rush, but I'm down whenever. As long as it doesn't start at a completely random time like in my other league.... :)
peterdouglas38

Postby thisisray » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:29 pm

Lets start sometime after the 4th. We can post our drops until we get the order posted.
thisisray

Postby Roscodog » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:27 pm

Just need a clarification for the supp draft. Can I drop 4 players promote one and have 3 picks or can I only drop a maximum of 3?
Roscodog

Postby kaviksdad » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:01 am

Roscoe - I believe the only way you can promote a prospect now is to make an unbalanced deal (you send 2 and get 1 back). That gives you the open roster spot you need.

I don't believe that you can drop a regular player and promote a prospect at any time other than when we do the spring free agent draft.
kaviksdad

Postby Roscodog » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:14 pm

[quote:0e2060ada9="kaviksdad"]Roscoe - I believe the only way you can promote a prospect now is to make an unbalanced deal (you send 2 and get 1 back). That gives you the open roster spot you need.

I don't believe that you can drop a regular player and promote a prospect at any time other than when we do the spring free agent draft.[/quote:0e2060ada9]

I'm ok with the decision either way, and am fine if the league has done it that way in the past as I was not an original league member. That being said when I read the rules;

5) Prospects can be promoted to the major league roster at any time, provided there is roster space available. Once promoted all prospects lose their prospect status, and cannot be demoted back to prospect status.

To me that means as soon as I make my supp draft drops, I have roster space available. I would just like definite confirmation on this before the supp draft. I'm in other keeper leagues where prospects can be promoted, and it may change my thought process.
:?
Roscodog

Postby kaviksdad » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:34 pm

I can sympathize with the confusion. Since I'm not the commish I can't give you the definitive ruling.

But as one who wrote a good portion of those rules, the same rules being used by a number of keepers including my own GMKL, I can tell you the way we handle it there and in the other leagues:

Exactly how I explained it in the previous post.

Here's the rationale behind the rule.

A variation of it exists in all the other keepers I'm in - USKL, HCKL, MLKL, GMKL - but the basic idea is this:

We didn't want people to drop regular players to promote prospects. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a prospect draft if you can promote them within the same year.

But if you had roster space, due to a lopsided trade or two, then you could promote a prospect to bring your roster back to the limit. That's the only way we allow it - other than during the annual spring free agent draft period where you make your drops, promote/release your prospects and then draft your new guys.

None of the leagues, with the exception of HCKL I believe, has ever allowed promotion of prospects during the supplemental draft. The only exceptions I can recall was when a manager had roster space remaining after he's made his 3 supplemental draft picks and was allowed to promote a prospect to bring his roster to 40.
kaviksdad

Postby TefJ » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:47 pm

I don't necessarily see anything about promotions the supplemental draft in the rules, For the Spring FA draft you can't do something like this (promoted prospects count as part of your 30 man roster).

In the case of the supplemental draft, you aren't required to drop anyone, and you can't drop more than 3, so I don't see a real way to abuse the system by promoting a prospect, but I'll be cool with Ray's ruling either way.

Hawk, sorry for the delay, sent you a PM.
TefJ

PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat