worth the risk?

Our Mystery Card games - The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s

worth the risk?

Postby pyramid1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:16 pm

I have never used McCovey because of his huge injury risk but have also been intrigued by his potential. I'm playing out of Tiger Stadium and he is available in waivers. Anyone have any thoughts on him?
pyramid1

Postby LMBombers » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:16 am

Big risk, big reward for McCovey, Aasron & Howard if you are willing to take the chance. To a lesser extent Frank Robinson can be put with these guys.
LMBombers

Postby The Senators » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:23 am

I say give it a shot...If you don't like it, throw him back, get some money back and go shopping! :D
The Senators

Postby pyramid1 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:35 am

missed out on McCovey in the waivers but nabbed Cedeno,Aikens and Cruz. Nice base to start with...
pyramid1

McCovey? I'm not taking the risk

Postby Larryrickenbacker » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:10 am

Howdy,

I've taken some criticism from those whose SOM skills exceed my own, but McCovey's too big an injury risk. I tried Frank Robinson once in the Astrodome and he tore the cover off the ball and didn't miss many games. Go figure. My favorite "risk" is Beltin' Bill Melton. Tried him once and he did well for me. 90% of my teams are in extreme "pitcher's parks" like the Astrodome or Oakland, fwiw.

PS: As for Cedeno, he never hits his weight for me!
Last edited by Larryrickenbacker on Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Larryrickenbacker

Postby durantjerry » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:59 pm

Why you have to take McCovey:
[url]http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/baseball/stratomatic/70s/team/team_other.html?user_id=22924[/url]
His price is very reasonable and there is so much upside in a hitting park you can't pass on him. If he's your DH, there are planty of cheap guys you can use to fill the hole when he's out. At that price you should have plenty of other sluggers to carry the when he's out and you can always cut him if you are only interested in his huge year. You have to take a shot every once in a while, and his upside makes him worth the risk. He could be MVP and some of his other years are pretty good. Also, his card should be revealed pretty quickly.
durantjerry

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '70s, '80s, '90s