1969 Theme League:Small Market w/ Franchise Players-Drafting

Our historical single season sets

I think the intent was franchise players must remain

Postby Rjnewman » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:14 pm

No dumping of those players into free agent pool. Everybody else is fair game.
Rjnewman

Roster Moves

Postby TallEd » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:10 pm

Sorry for not posting on this board since the draft started but here goes for answering roster moves:
1. Roster must always have 25(can adjust to 9 pithers 16 hitters etc.)
2.must have at all times 1franchise pitcher and hitter. trades that maintain that integrity are allowed. ie Gibson for Marichal. Gibson for Clemente is a no go. Drop add of the franchise players is possible but I believe Cuellar and Jones are the only ones left at this point and the drop penalty would most likely cause other lineup changes in order to allow that to hoppen and that would be tough to swallow but if you want to say drop Rose and pick up Jones as long as you stay under the cap it is ok. This pretty much makes it a you have to dance with who brung ya as far as the franchise guys go.
3 As you can see after the first 4 rounds staying under the cap is going to require some head scratching and also make in season moves more difficult. Same as if you were the GM of a small market club.
4. As for preseason moves as it was written in the beginning(where have I heard that before) there are no preseason moves. However this is open for discussion and not carved in stone. (pardon the 2nd biblical pun)
TallEd

After 4 rounds

Postby TallEd » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:28 pm

The first 2 picks seemed to put everyone in a similar financial boat. Tight for the remainder of the draft but allowing for a full range of creative options. This format though, kind of made having the first pick not necessarily such a good thing as the second pick was limited to 2 choices. The consolation prize was you get the 1st pick of the rest of the entire field. Oddly enough that was Woody again. Hope everyone is enjoying the strategy of this format Thanks again for the interest. From here on out it should get interesting. Sort of interesting to see the lack of interest in pitching so far.
TallEd

Postby GFDWARF07 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:10 pm

Can someone please approve my drop of granger? misfired thanks!

Dan
GFDWARF07

drop

Postby TallEd » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:44 pm

Looks like someone got it. You should be good to go.
TallEd

Postby GFDWARF07 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:44 pm

Well, I officially overspent my Christmas hitters budget now that John Ellis joined my squad. It will be Dierker, Culp and pray for rain! Though HAL SELDOM makes it rain, huh...... :shock:
GFDWARF07

Postby hackra » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:15 pm

Are trades/trade requests permitted while still drafting on DiamondDope?

....also, 1969 vets, are my picks so far reasonable ones? it is my first attempt at the 1969 game (although the players are those of blessed memories of my youth sitting in Busch stadium and watching Red Schoendienst pulling the strings for those birds on the bats).
hackra

Postby GFDWARF07 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:16 am

[quote:88a3344f08="hackra"]Are trades/trade requests permitted while still drafting on DiamondDope?

....also, 1969 vets, are my picks so far reasonable ones? it is my first attempt at the 1969 game (although the players are those of blessed memories of my youth sitting in Busch stadium and watching Red Schoendienst pulling the strings for those birds on the bats).[/quote:88a3344f08]

In my humble view you're doing great - Petro is the best at a very thin position and Niekro is amongs the the best obviously. Flood gets underutilized in a lot of our leagues, but he is great against LHP and gold in CF. I have tried to platoon him before to get better strength against righties, even though that's probably sacrilegious to a cards fan.

Millan is very popular amongst some of the most winning owners, though I rarely use him for some reason, but again that solid D up the middle is a key. Gibbon is solid and Ryan's card seems to play well too.

Like the rest of us, everything is a bit of a crap shoot in this format, but that's what makes it fun too.

Good luck and thanks for joining us! Hope to see you playing more 1969 going forward - we always have a theme league or two going.

Dan
GFDWARF07

Trades And Picks

Postby TallEd » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:12 am

Regarding your picks I agree 100% w/ Dan's assessment. You have put together a very solid team. Being unfamiliar with the cards in the set you may have felt that you were at a disadvantage as to where the "hidden jewels" are and it looks like you did an excellent job of following an old baseball adage play solid defense, especially up the middle, and you will at the very least not beat yourself. While doing this you have allowed room under the cap for the possibility of filling out the remainder of your team very nicely.

Speaking to the second part of your question it is my belief that trades and trade talk should not take place during the draft. THat way no manager can feel that an unfair advantage was achieved as their picks and strategies were revealed. Since everyone is not online at the same time someone may feel that that they missed out on an opportunity.

Also the rules are currently set up that there are no trades or waivers prior to the playing of the first game. I am not against amending that though. However, as of yet, I have not seen anything posted that says anyone is in favor of changing I have also thought about setting up the "in season" waivers on the 5-10-20 rule. Like to hear everyones thoughts.

Hope you are finding this experience enjoyable and we are happy to have you participate. For me, this is only my second theme league and I have to say that I truly enjoyed my first league and am now hooked.

Waiting to hear from all regarding waivers.

Ed
TallEd

Postby hackra » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:46 am

I am fine with no trades nor moves prior to the first games.

This is how the initial post read -

[quote:2743cd9790]Using the 1969 set, 12 team league. Cap is set at 60 Mil, Each manager must select 1 pitcher with a salary greater than 8.5 mil (13 choices) and 1 position player with a salary greater than 8.5 mil (13 choices). After these players are selected in the 1st 2 rounds, any player may be selected as long as the total cap of 60 mil is not exceeded. Teams will consist of 25 players and that roster size must be maintained at all times (10 pitchers and 15 position players). No DH rule in effect. Draft will take place on diamond dope once 12 managers have signed up.[b:2743cd9790] No waiver period following the draft prior to the beginning of the season. Once the season has begun a manager may drop and add players with a 20% salary cap penalty. Trades are allowed after the first games are played.[/b:2743cd9790] All rosters are frozen once game 142 is played. Stadiums will be selected as part of the draft. [/quote:2743cd9790]

I do not believe it is proper to change the rules after the draft is well underway.[b:2743cd9790][color=red:2743cd9790] (unless it is a unanimous agreement)[/color:2743cd9790][/b:2743cd9790]

This has been fun so far. I have done several theme leagues, but this is my first venture into Strat 1969. The hardest part for me is trying to plan for how much $ will be left with the last few picks given the no roster move restrictions. (It would be easier for if the option to go to a 24 or 26 man roster were available....but I am not asking for a late rule change. It might be worth considering for future themes :wink: )

My team may struggle, but I am hopefull they will be competetive.

Rick
8-)

[img:2743cd9790]http://phillysportscards.com/Images/69opccflood.jpg[/img:2743cd9790]

BTW - Albert Pujols owes this guy about $250,000,000 for what Flood did for MLB players in 1969
hackra

PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: 1969, 1986, 1999